Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland Driving Licence

Wikiposts

Northern Ireland Driving Licence

Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of
Default Northern Ireland Driving Licence

I have read somewhere in the forum about Canada not recgonising the NI Driving Licence and if you go to Canada with this then you have to do a test.
I have looked at my new licence and it stipulates UK on the plastic card bit however it does in small print say DVLA NI....
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems getting a Canadian Driving Licence with the new NI licences. Or would the suggestion still be to get a UK Licence without the NI bit on it...

I hope I havent confused anyone with this post....

All suggestions appreciated.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:00 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Ireland Driving Licence

Originally Posted by keznjj
I have read somewhere in the forum about Canada not recgonising the NI Driving Licence and if you go to Canada with this then you have to do a test.
I have looked at my new licence and it stipulates UK on the plastic card bit however it does in small print say DVLA NI....
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems getting a Canadian Driving Licence with the new NI licences. Or would the suggestion still be to get a UK Licence without the NI bit on it...

I hope I havent confused anyone with this post....

All suggestions appreciated.
Whereabouts in Canada are you headed? Driving licences are a Provincial issue. Start here
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:04 am
Just Joined

BaggyFX is an unknown quantity at this point

Bout ye,

I was in Nova Scotia last year and it was fine. You will however however need to take a driving test in Canada after 3 months or i think a couple of weeks if you are working ( these time limits are off the top of my head, but are pretty close from what i remember)

Cheers

Baggy
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Bout Ye too Baggy

Thanks for the info Oak it seems that the NI licence cannot be exchanged without a test we are heading to Ontario...
Not doing that I will get our licences changed for UK ones.

Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

jonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura about

Bout Ye too Baggy

Thanks for the info Oak it seems that the NI licence cannot be exchanged without a test we are heading to Ontario...
Not doing that I will get our licences changed for UK ones.

Cheers
they won't accept NI ones, silly as it seems they just don't - i used my friends house in surrey as an address and got a GB one.. very simple, I did try with the NI one on one of my recce's twice in GTA & Hamilton - the guy at the desk kept telling me they cannot accept as an exchange an "irish" lic, i pointed out that NI was still part of UK and even showed him my crest on the licence - he just looked at me in that funny twisted way !!....

enjoy

jon
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnieandmartina
they won't accept NI ones, silly as it seems they just don't - i used my friends house in surrey as an address and got a GB one.. very simple
In other words, you appear to have obtained a GB licence by deception if you were not resident in GB.

, I did try with the NI one on one of my recce's twice in GTA & Hamilton - the guy at the desk kept telling me they cannot accept as an exchange an "irish" lic, i pointed out that NI was still part of UK and even showed him my crest on the licence - he just looked at me in that funny twisted way !!....

Unclear why it's so hard for people to understand that in the United Kingdom, just like in Canada, driving licences are not issued at national level.

Northern Ireland has its own driving licences and if the DVLA-NI does not care about the recognition of the Northern Ireland licence, that is not the problem of anyone else.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

johnnieandmartina thanks for the heads up..think i will need to do that, we are based to and from NI and England although more so NI...

Jaj>>> I dont think that my post or anyone elses supportive replies were put on here to "Point Blame"..Noone is blaming anyone as to why the Canadian driving licence authorities does not accept the NI licences. I think this is the honest confused thoughts of others as to why the Candian driving authorities do not accept a NI licence with a UK crest on it...We are part of the UK.

However I fully accept that I will have to get change my licence as do others to comply with Canadian Regulattions. Why would you care how we maintain them. If someone lets us use an address then I cant see how we are doing any harm.
Also for your information johnnie is GB resident. NI belongs to GB...
Jeez all I did was ask for help on a matter and someone has to come in with an Plan of Attack

To the rest of you Guys that put replies Thanks Heaps..Thanks Heaps to Oak for putting me onto the Driving Licence site...
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

jonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura about

no worries, enjoy !!

johnnieandmartina thanks for the heads up..think i will need to do that, we are based to and from NI and England although more so NI...

Jaj>>> I dont think that my post or anyone elses supportive replies were put on here to "Point Blame"..Noone is blaming anyone as to why the Canadian driving licence authorities does not accept the NI licences. I think this is the honest confused thoughts of others as to why the Candian driving authorities do not accept a NI licence with a UK crest on it...We are part of the UK.

However I fully accept that I will have to get change my licence as do others to comply with Canadian Regulattions. Why would you care how we maintain them. If someone lets us use an address then I cant see how we are doing any harm.
Jeez all I did was ask for help on a matter and someone has to come in with an Plan of Attack

To the rest of you Guys that put replies Thanks Heaps..Thanks Heaps to Oak for putting me onto the Driving Licence site...
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So what? ... Ontario and BC are part of the same country but have their own driving licences.

Sigh ... It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales and you need a GB address to get a GB licence. Similarly, you need an NI address to get an NI licence.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

From a simple question needing a simple answer alongs comes somebody simple like YOU!!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

From a simple question needing a simple answer alongs comes somebody simple like YOU!!!

Don't rise to it mate.... lifes full of them
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yea I know, your very right and I normally dont, however comments like that are really uncalled for. You reckon he might wanna live in Norn Iron... lol

Where abouts in Belfast are you? Thats my hometown. Im living in NZ at the moment but hopefully not for long...
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yea I know, your very right and I normally dont, however comments like that are really uncalled for. You reckon he might wanna live in Norn Iron... lol

Where abouts in Belfast are you? Thats my hometown. Im living in NZ at the moment but hopefully not for long...

Not actually belfast anymore, it just simple to leave it that way - about 15 miles down the coast...or so..
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:30 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

GB DVLA has an agreement with various Driver Licensing agencies in Canada. NI DVLA doesn't have any such arrangements. You don't hold a GB DVLA issued license, therefore you cannot just trade it over. They're not stupid, they know the difference between the territories that they are issued in, and know the arrangements. While the NI license has the UK crest on it, it means the same as provincial license in Canada having the Canadian flag, and a state license in the US having the US flag. There is no such thing as a UK driving license, just like there is no such thing as a Canadian driving license, or a US driving license.

You can't get a GB driving license unless you move to England, Scotland or Wales. If you use someone else's address over there you are committing fraud as having an incorrect address on your license is actually a fairly serious offence in GB with nice large fines attached to it.

Simply put, NI DVLA has no arrangements with any Canadian provinces for licence exchange. Similarly someone coming from Canada to NI can't swap a licence over, whereas someone going to England, Scotland or Wales may be able to. You have a NI license, you can't swap it over.

Last edited by Ben W Bell; Jul 21st 2009 at 1:36 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:44 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnieandmartina
Not actually belfast anymore, it just simple to leave it that way - about 15 miles down the coast...or so..
Not Portavogie? No that's more than 15 miles. Millisle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.