British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   is this the norm (container) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/norm-container-760984/)

chrissyb Jun 7th 2012 4:27 pm

is this the norm (container)

hi all,

We are just waiting on our container we left the U.K on the 6th May and gave the go ahead for our container to be shipped. I have just recieved the following email from the company:

Currently the effects should be loaded on 12th June, shipped aboard on 19th June to arrive in Toronto 14th July.

is it normal for the container to wait over a month to be loaded? Also we are in vancouver , I cannot see any logic in it going to Toronto unless they have made yet another mistake (the company have been awful will post what they have been like once this is all over)

Before I email back wanted to know from people who have experienced this first hand is this normal, am i missing something?

Thanks,

Christie

Piff Poff Jun 7th 2012 4:37 pm

Re: is this the norm (container)

Is it a shared container? Ours sat on the dock for 6 weeks before being loaded (we were told it would take 4 weeks for it to arrive but they didn't tell us we had to wait for other people to fill it up).

chrissyb Jun 7th 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10106107)
Is it a shared container? Ours sat on the dock for 6 weeks before being loaded (we were told it would take 4 weeks for it to arrive but they didn't tell us we had to wait for other people to fill it up).

yup its a shared container , thanks that answers my question. Any ideas on why it would go to toronto?

Novocastrian Jun 7th 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by chrissyb (Post 10106121)
yup its a shared container , thanks that answers my question. Any ideas on why it would go to toronto?

Perhaps the other part of the load is going there?

el_richo Jun 7th 2012 4:53 pm

Maybe it's quicker or more cost effective to send it there and train it to the west coast. Maybe there are no containers to share going to Vancouver?

It's a slow process but make the most of camping in your new Canadadian home while you're waiting :thumbup:

chrissyb Jun 7th 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 10106140)
Maybe it's quicker or more cost effective to send it there and train it to the west coast. Maybe there are no containers to share going to Vancouver?

It's a slow process but make the most of camping in your new Canadadian home while you're waiting :thumbup:

Ok Thanks as I wasnt missing something obvious I will ask.

Havnt been camping yet! We are only on week 4 so it hasnt all settled down yet. Got our rental last week and it still doesnt look like we have moved in as theres nothing here!:rofl:

Atlantic Xpat Jun 7th 2012 5:05 pm

1) As a shared container the shipper has to wait to consolidate a full load for Canada before shipping so the delay is normal - but frustrating.

2) If you are on the west coast then likely it will be seafreighted to Montreal & railed from there. Toronto sounds a bit funny unless they have a partial delivery there first and then are trucking/railing on to Vancouver.

el_richo Jun 7th 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by chrissyb (Post 10106148)
Havnt been camping yet! We are only on week 4 so it hasnt all settled down yet. Got our rental last week and it still doesnt look like we have moved in as theres nothing here!:rofl:

No that's what i mean. Enjoy camping in your new home until the stuff gets there sometime in September :thumbup:

chrissyb Jun 7th 2012 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 10106153)
No that's what i mean. Enjoy camping in your new home until the stuff gets there sometime in September :thumbup:

Oh im with you! Delayed reaction! I feel more like a squatter!

Tony-the-Tigger Jun 7th 2012 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by chrissyb (Post 10106087)

(the company have been awful will post what they have been like once this is all over.

Can you name and shame the firm? Question applies to both the Mods and Chrissyb.

Miss Clinique Jun 7th 2012 5:41 pm

My guess is the receiving company is in Toronto. Once it gets deconsolidated in Toronto, it will be sent on its way to you.

I would ask who the receiving company is, and make contact with them, let them know you need your goods ASAP. They should contact you once they get all the paper work from the UK, but some shippers are slow at passing this on.

If you PM me the company details for the UK and Canada, I will let you know what to expect.;)

Piff Poff Jun 7th 2012 5:45 pm

Ours went somewhere east 1st, then it went to Vancouver (where the dockers went on strike) then it was trucked (after the truckers had finished striking) to Red Deer, all in all it took 4 months for our stuff to arrive.

__TJ__ Jun 7th 2012 5:51 pm

Ours was shipped via Montreal then boated to Vancouver. (groupage) took about 10 weeks to arrive (and 13 weeks to ship it back) filling a whole container to ourselves next time

cheeky_monkey Jun 7th 2012 6:27 pm

begs the question why dont people send the container in advance of leaving?

Piff Poff Jun 7th 2012 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10106296)
begs the question why dont people send the container in advance of leaving?

We did;)