Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No work in Ontario ? myth or fact

No work in Ontario ? myth or fact

Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No work in Ontario ? myth or fact

All we hear in the West from people who have relocated from Ontario is that there is no work at all in the East....really? Every one we come across who has relocated from the East is that there is no work at all and how dire the work situation is. But when we look on here we see that people are moving from England to Ontario and from other parts and wonder how much truth there is in this statement. Does it depend on what work you do or is it really quite bad ? Maybe people who have moved to Ontario recently might be able to shed some light on this.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No work in Ontario ? myth or fact

Ontario is not 'East', East is PEI, NB, NS & NF&L !

Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
Ontario is not 'East', East is PEI, NB, NS & NF&L !

Apart from stating the obvious Siouxie, as Ontario IS east of Alberta...sensible replies only please
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillan85
Apart from stating the obvious Siouxie, as Ontario IS east of Alberta...sensible replies only please
It was an eminently sensible response to a somewhat ambiguously worded question.

Ontario may be East of Alberta, but then so is Saskatchewan, would you refer to that Province as "in the East"?

When someone states that people are saying there is no work "in the East" one assumes they are talking about Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick and the like, as they are what are commonly known as the Eastern Provinces. Nobody would think of Ontario as being "in the East".

Putting that aside, regarding your question about Ontario - it really depends on the type of work one is looking for, the level of experience and knowledge, the amount of Canadian work experience and most importantly, who you know. Networking is everything.

What type of work were the people you have been talking to looking for and did they have the necessary Canadian experience etc. ? That may have more relevance than a generalisation that there is 'no work in the East'.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:18 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for the Ottawa area and in IT fields that it seems to happen in phases and patches. Early last year I was looking for work and had to wait months for something. Late last year, normally the worst time for job hunting, I only had a month off and during that month was overwhelmed with requests for interviews and phone calls and got a job really fast.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Siouxie, esp the bit about Ontario being the East.

In our experience there isn't much work but as Sue says it all depends.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bats
I agree with Siouxie, esp the bit about Ontario being the East.

In our experience there isn't much work but as Sue says it all depends.
According to Jobbank.gc.ca there are 60,099 advertised jobs available in Ontario - but I really think it depends on what you do and the level of experience you have. I have struggled to actually get a job, but there are lots of jobs available (in my area). The biggest problem for me has been a lack of Canadian experience as I didn't enter the workforce until a couple of years ago, despite being here for 11.

For people that do not have a particular skillset that is sought after, lack of Canadian experience is (in my experience) the biggest hurdle to overcome. The other thing, IMO, is that some new immigrants perhaps have expectations that they are going to find a job easily in their chosen field, not realising the level of competition they face.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:52 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

All we hear in the West from people who have relocated from Ontario is that there is no work at all in the East....really? Every one we come across who has relocated from the East is that there is no work at all and how dire the work situation is. But when we look on here we see that people are moving from England to Ontario and from other parts and wonder how much truth there is in this statement. Does it depend on what work you do or is it really quite bad ? Maybe people who have moved to Ontario recently might be able to shed some light on this.
Living in NS we hear all the time about the abundance of jobs out west. As Ontario is in the west I presume This includes Ontario.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

From a West Coast perspective, AB, MB & SK are the prairies, QC, ON is back east, albeit central, which why perhaps some believe this is the centre of the Canadian world, the rest is Atlantic Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard Ontario being described as out East, as S and Bats says thats a term for the Atlantic provinces.

Dam Newfies coming over here, stealing our jobs ......................
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience with Ontario and jobs was not a good. I was there for almost 5 months, and had 1 interview.

I've been in BC 3 days, and have gotten 3 calls so far, so I will side with the unless your in a skilled in-demand industry, Ontario is not the place to be.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Aviator
From a West Coast perspective, AB, MB & SK are the prairies, QC, ON is back east, albeit central, which why perhaps some believe this is the centre of the Canadian world, the rest is Atlantic Canada.
But the OP is in Alberta, so is Ontario still "out East" ? Out East, to me, has always been PEI, NS, NB etc., just as I always think of 'out West' as BC.

Ontario being the centre of Canadian existence is, of course, absolutely true.

Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I've never heard Ontario being described as out East, as S and Bats says thats a term for the Atlantic provinces.

Dam Newfies coming over here, stealing our jobs ......................
In the nearly 20 years I have been here, that is all I have ever heard it called (when I lived in AB as well, working with a bunch of red necks!). Atlantic provinces always known them as Atlantic Canada, they are way east of here.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not Ontario is out East is immaterial, if you've got a job there the answer to the title question is "myth". If you can't find one it's "fact".

HTH.

<It is a snowing not in Normandy>
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Admittedly, I am only a secretary but spent the summer in Muskoka and got a permanent job within a month. I was lucky admittedly, but generally there is little work in Muskoka (2 hrs north of Toronto), and I was dumb enough to return to the U.K. Gotta be brave enough to move permanently.

I'd also point out my job in Muskoka was in a store - part time, but that didn't faze me. It really is all about networking. Who you know and not what you know. Think about dropping your expectations somewhat and use whatever job you can get to know people who will help get you into what you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.