Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No PR Card - border crossing

No PR Card - border crossing

Old Jul 30th 2016, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No PR Card - border crossing

I would be crossing the border in a private vehicle as we have discussed on this thread. I think you are talking about a ferry which is a commercial carrier.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 30th 2016 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 5:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

The trip is for work purposes. Does that mean I need to have a visa?
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
The trip is for work purposes. Does that mean I need to have a visa?

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is administered by DHS and enables eligible citizens or nationals of designated countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa.
All eligible nationals or citizens of VWP countries who plan to travel to the United States for temporary business or pleasure under VWP are required to receive an authorization through ESTA prior to boarding a U.S.-bound airplane or vessel.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 12:52 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so I travel out by car on the ferry from the Island to Anacortez and then drive to destination. MY question is, on the way back, if the CBSA or US guys cut uo rough, can they actually refuse me entry into Canada?
I have in my file:
Original COPR
Confirmation of Citizenship Application
Confirmation of fees paid
Out of date PR card
Drivers Licence
SIN
Health Card thingy
UK Passport

Anything I'm missing? I've only been out of Canada for 1 night in the last 5 years (until next week).

Thanks guys....
Old Aug 6th 2016, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, CBSA is not your problem. As I quoted you in one of the posts before, the law states that once the officer is satisfied you are a PR s/he will allow you enter.

The question which is more relevant is: will the US authorities/ferry operator allow you to board the ferry (commercial vehicle) back to Canada without a PR card? No one can really answer this, including FL (as I'm sure he will verify shortly). In my opinion, you are taking a bit of a risk. But what's the worst that could happen? You have to do some kind of land detour in the car and drive up over land border in your private vehicle (before taking the car ferry back to the island from Tswwassen (sp?)).

S
Old Aug 6th 2016, 1:35 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Snowy560
In my opinion, CBSA is not your problem. As I quoted you in one of the posts before, the law states that once the officer is satisfied you are a PR s/he will allow you enter.

The question which is more relevant is: will the US authorities/ferry operator allow you to board the ferry (commercial vehicle) back to Canada without a PR card? No one can really answer this, including FL (as I'm sure he will verify shortly). In my opinion, you are taking a bit of a risk. But what's the worst that could happen? You have to do some kind of land detour in the car and drive up over land border in your private vehicle (before taking the car ferry back to the island from Tswwassen (sp?)).

S
I seem to remember when we travelled back from Port Angeles to Victoria last year by ferry, it was only on the Canadian side that they asked for our (then still valid) PR cards. As you say, worst case scenario, I would have to continue to the land border, cross, then take a ferry from Tsawassenn
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The question which is more relevant is: will the US authorities/ferry operator allow you to board the ferry (commercial vehicle) back to Canada without a PR card? No one can really answer this, including FL (as I'm sure he will verify shortly).
It's not that vague, commercial carriers have to establish that you have a legal ability to enter Canada before allowing you to board.

eTA only applies for travel by air, so if you've got a British passport, you can lie and say you're visiting Canada and then tell them you're a PR at the POE if you're going by ferry.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:38 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's not that vague, commercial carriers have to establish that you have a legal ability to enter Canada before allowing you to board.

eTA only applies for travel by air, so if you've got a British passport, you can lie and say you're visiting Canada and then tell them you're a PR at the POE if you're going by ferry.
It's a bit difficult to say you are only visiting when you're on BC plates with a BC licence and the only one in the car. I actually crossed at Peace Arch early this morning and carried on to Tsawwassen. No problem at all. The CBSA Guard asked if I intended to renew my PR Card. I said no as citizenship was almost through and she wished me a lovely day and welcomed me home. It was nice.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's a bit difficult to say you are only visiting when you're on BC plates with a BC licence and the only one in the car. I actually crossed at Peace Arch early this morning and carried on to Tsawwassen. No problem at all. The CBSA Guard asked if I intended to renew my PR Card. I said no as citizenship was almost through and she wished me a lovely day and welcomed me home. It was nice.

Thanks for Posting as to what you eventually did. Did you just decide that crossing the land border was the better idea? I'm curious. Anyway welcome back.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 4:49 am
Just Joined

rafavaro is an unknown quantity at this point

hello one question, my dauhtger is in Miami, I bought a ticjket to Plattsuburgh an I thouhg to pass the border with her with and a friend in his car, she entryed in USA with spanish passport, she has her PR card but we made the process in Peru, so she is going to entry to Canada with peruvian passport, how the US border could know that she leaves the country? may I ask for a stamp or something like that? thank you!! I dont want she has problesm when want to go to USA
Old Aug 14th 2016, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafavaro
hello one question, my dauhtger is in Miami, I bought a ticjket to Plattsuburgh an I thouhg to pass the border with her with and a friend in his car, she entryed in USA with spanish passport, she has her PR card but we made the process in Peru, so she is going to entry to Canada with peruvian passport, how the US border could know that she leaves the country? may I ask for a stamp or something like that? thank you!! I dont want she has problesm when want to go to USA
If she enters the USA on her Spanish passport in a vehicle she will have to apply for the I94 waiver and pay $6. When re-entering Canada she would give the I94 waiver card to the CBSA officer who will then stamp it and give it to US Customs.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 2:31 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Thanks for Posting as to what you eventually did. Did you just decide that crossing the land border was the better idea? I'm curious. Anyway welcome back.
I looked at the ferry times for the crossing from Anacortez, which is still in the US and it was 2.50pm. I then considered I might still be refused boarding and have to drive to Tsawwassen anyway. So I set off from Seattle at 5.30am and went straight to Peace Arch. I was there for 8.00am. I actually thought I was going through US border control first and then had to face the CBSA crowd. The lady in the booth asked me where I was going. I said home to Mill Bay, Vancouver Island. She asked my status. I said I am a Permanent Resident. She asked for my card. I gave it to her, she looked at it and asked, "have you applied to renew this?". I said "no I have my application for citizenship in process". I then lent over to pass her all my evidence and she said "I don't need to see that. You have a lovely day and welcome home". It was only when I passed the sign saying "Welcome to Surrey" that I realised she was the CBSA and I was home!
Old Aug 14th 2016, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice story RP.
Who knows what would have happened at Anacortes but you reduced the uncertainty and the waiting around all day.

Anyway the ferry ride from Tswwassen to the island is beautiful.

S
Old Aug 14th 2016, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

rafavaro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If she enters the USA on her Spanish passport in a vehicle she will have to apply for the I94 waiver and pay $6. When re-entering Canada she would give the I94 waiver card to the CBSA officer who will then stamp it and give it to US Customs.
thank you FL, but she entered in Miami by plane with her spanish passport, they didnt give her I-94 because all is registered in computers,and tomorrow is crossing the border in Champlain with her peruvians passport, , and canadian PR card , my concern is that, being differente passport, she will have problems to entre US in the future? the US Inmigration in the border is when you enter, not when you exit
Old Aug 14th 2016, 4:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Nice story RP.
Who knows what would have happened at Anacortes but you reduced the uncertainty and the waiting around all day.

Anyway the ferry ride from Tswwassen to the island is beautiful.

S
Actually, I got on the 9.00am ferry. It was super busy with over excited kids and families. The line up for the cafes was crazy. I retreated to my car and watched Lovejoy on the in-car TV thingy! Hopeless I know, but I've done the trip quite a few times now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.