Reload this Page >

No Mortgage...Discount?

No Mortgage...Discount?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

cryout is on a distinguished road
Default No Mortgage...Discount?

Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a condo apartment in Toronto using my savings and without asking for mortgage. In my country sometimes is possible to get a discount on the cost of the real estate if you pay the amount within a certain (1-6 months) time. Is the same in Canada?

Thanks.

Cry
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Mortgage...Discount?

Originally Posted by cryout
Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a condo apartment in Toronto using my savings and without asking for mortgage. In my country sometimes is possible to get a discount on the cost of the real estate if you pay the amount within a certain (1-6 months) time. Is the same in Canada?

Thanks.

Cry
No. I bought a condo in Calgary with cash, thought this would make me a more attractive buyer (as it would in the UK, no chain, etc etc) but nope, my realtor told me the sellers don't care how you fund your purchase - they get their money either way. I was successful in getting a lower purchase price but for other reasons than being a cash buyer.

Happy house hunting!

Biiiiink
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
No. I bought a condo in Calgary with cash, thought this would make me a more attractive buyer (as it would in the UK, no chain, etc etc) but nope, my realtor told me the sellers don't care how you fund your purchase - they get their money either way.

Biiiiink
Although you're probably right I can't help thinking that as the realtor gets paid a percentage commission that he would say that, wouldn't he?!!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cryout is on a distinguished road

No. I bought a condo in Calgary with cash, thought this would make me a more attractive buyer (as it would in the UK, no chain, etc etc) but nope, my realtor told me the sellers don't care how you fund your purchase - they get their money either way. I was successful in getting a lower purchase price but for other reasons than being a cash buyer.

Happy house hunting!

Biiiiink

Thanks Biiiiiink!

nice to see you on the Canada forum after I met you on the Immigration one...

May I ask you how are the payment conditions...I mean, if you pay cash, should you transfer the entire sum at once? Is it possible to pay by foreign account transfer or they accept money only form Canadian bank accounts?

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Cry
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I had my money in Canada already. When your offer is accepted you pay a deposit instantly (usually accompanies the offer to show you're a serious buyer), I think mine was CAD 10,000 or such. I wasn't in the country for the condo purchase so I faxed my bank to authorise a certified cheque and had it couriered to my realtor who was making the offer. The balance was payable to the trust account of my lawyer about 3 or 4wks later, and I also paid this by certified cheque. I'm not sure about paying from foreign accounts, but you need to pay CAD wherever it comes from. Can your bank arrange CAD cheques? It might be easier for you to move it to a Canadian account first?

Good luck with the purchase. Don't know what it's like where you're from but we've certainly found the Canadian housebuying experience to be easy as pie!

Biiiiink
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Happy house hunting!

Biiiiink
I guess as they don't fall through, being a cash buyer makes you no more attractive....

Is there any way that a house sale can fall through over here. just interested to know?

Sonia
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
I guess as they don't fall through, being a cash buyer makes you no more attractive....

Is there any way that a house sale can fall through over here. just interested to know?

Sonia

Yes. An offer is usually made subject to specific conditions. These might be that the house passes an inspection and that financing is approved. In the former case the prospective purchaser can withdraw the offer if the house inspector finds a major problem. The second applies where the buyer has approval to borrow some amount of money as a mortgage but the bank hasn't approved use of the mortgage money for that particular house.