No fences

Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default No fences

Just a couple of observations that I thought I'd mention and are quite alien to me.The most striking thing that I notice about living in Canada is when I take an early morning walk and see how everyone seems so relaxed about leaving their stuff outside overnight. I see garden equipment, toys, BBQ's etc and I just imagine what would happen to those things back in the UK if left outside.

This leads me to my second point in that at least in this neighbourhood hardly anyone has any garden fences. I look out my back door at the houses that back on to ours in the next road and there's nothing to stop me from strolling across to the back of any of the houses. To see it takes some getting used to. In fact wherever I walk most of the houses are just so open and unfenced.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No fences

Originally Posted by stepnek
Just a couple of observations that I thought I'd mention and are quite alien to me.The most striking thing that I notice about living in Canada is when I take an early morning walk and see how everyone seems so relaxed about leaving their stuff outside overnight. I see garden equipment, toys, BBQ's etc and I just imagine what would happen to those things back in the UK if left outside.

This leads me to my second point in that at least in this neighbourhood hardly anyone has any garden fences. I look out my back door at the houses that back on to ours in the next road and there's nothing to stop me from strolling across to the back of any of the houses. To see it takes some getting used to. In fact wherever I walk most of the houses are just so open and unfenced.

That's the typical small town environment. There's usually a strong community spirit where people look out for each other and respect each others property and privacy. For instance, if a family sufferes a disaster such as a fire, there's usually a benefit fund raising event.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact there are no fences at the front yard..makes the streets look so much nicer IMO
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by ray1968
I love the fact there are no fences at the front yard..makes the streets look so much nicer IMO
We have lived in many places in the UK without fences and whilst it looks nice it seems to the neighbours and public alike that this is an invitation to enter your private space. Walk in, park on, block etc. Had many times when local children used our lawn as private race track, or litter bin and the like.

Downright impolite yet its common.

Endemic!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:52 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

there's nothing to stop me from strolling across to the back of any of the houses.
Ah but there is, otherwise you would do it.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
That's the typical small town environment. There's usually a strong community spirit where people look out for each other and respect each others property and privacy. .

You're right of course. When we go out for an evening stroll we never pass anyone without receiving a pleasant nod and a "hello". A real community feeling. Only last night we were out with our one year old son in his buggy and we passed an elderly couple sat out on their front porch. The man shouts out to to my wife "Your baby looks a lot cuter than your husband!" I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that my wife absolutely wet herself laughing for pretty much the remainder of our walk!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:05 am
Banned

mungomidge is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: No fences

You're right of course. When we go out for an evening stroll we never pass anyone without receiving a pleasant nod and a "hello". A real community feeling. Only last night we were out with our one year old son in his buggy and we passed an elderly couple sat out on their front porch. The man shouts out to to my wife "Your baby looks a lot cuter than your husband!" I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that my wife absolutely wet herself laughing for pretty much the remainder of our walk!
Youre next line to return could be *How can you be so ugly with just one head*
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mungomidge
Youre next line to return could be *How can you be so ugly with just one head*

I responded with a smile and all the smart replies that I could have given came about an hour later. It takes a while for the old brain to start churning. That's me!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:28 am
Just Joined

jake is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing that I thought was funny about having no fences is that my neighbours would mow their grass down an imaginery border which then always made me feel that I should go out and cut mine as otherwise there would be this pristine lawn and then a really obvious overgrown one right next to it. Also the leaf-blowing firm that they would hire in the autumn would come and just blow the leaves into my garden ... it made me want to put a fence up (even a white pickett one!).
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

In my neighbourhood most people have small fences, but they still leave stuff out overnight, even bikes and the like.
Obviously there aren't as many theiving b&*tards in Canada.
I left my bike out in my garden in Leeds for 20 seconds, yes 20 seconds! When I came out it was gone! I even had plants, terracota pots, washing, clothes pegs, milk and a f*&king washing line stolen from my garden in Leeds. Unless it was chained down you could guarantee it would be swiped within a few hours. That's Hunslet for you.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:51 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

[QUOTE=seacreature] Unless it was chained down you could guarantee it would be swiped within a few hours.

They would even steal the chains in Liverpool!!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:52 am
kerri

Those white little fences are a beauty in front of a house, and depending on where you live, its always a good idea to fence off the backyard anyway, for privacy, for times like when friends come round for a barbeque, or you are just lounging there in a hot-tub

Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerri
Those white little fences are a beauty in front of a house, and depending on where you live, its always a good idea to fence off the backyard anyway, for privacy, for times like when friends come round for a barbeque, or you are just lounging there in a hot-tub

Just a note that if you have a swimming pool you must have a fence around it.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
Unless it was chained down you could guarantee it would be swiped within a few hours. That's Hunslet for you.
Perfect for getting rid of your rubbish!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:22 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Toontje
Perfect for getting rid of your rubbish!
Or wife, or kids, or....husband, or.....!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.