Reload this Page >

No body can answer it? I cannot believe

No body can answer it? I cannot believe

Old Sep 11th 2002, 4:45 am
YHN
Just Joined

YHN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No body can answer it? I cannot believe

I thought the the following education will be awarded 22, not 20, but some said it should be 20, no any suggest from experts out there?

6 year elementary school
3 year junior secondary school
4 year technical secondary school
3 year full-time equivalent post-secondary diploma
1 year full time equivalent post-secondary certificate
Bachelor Degree (3 year full-time quivalent in the country, as it was based on previous post-secondary education, so took only 1 year)
Old Sep 11th 2002, 12:18 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: No body can answer it? I cannot believe

Well it appears to me if you have a 3 year post secondary diploma with at least 15
years of education then you should get 22 points as quoted from:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english-
/skilled/qual-5.html

"You have a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 15
years of full-time or full-time equivalent study."

however if you claimed yoru bachelors as your highest level of education then you get
only 20 points.

"YHN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I thought the the following education will be awarded 22, not 20, but some said it
    > should be 20, no any suggest from experts out there?
    > 6 year elementary school 3 year junior secondary school 4 year technical
    > secondary school 3 year full-time equivalent post-secondary diploma 1 year full
    > time equivalent post-secondary certificate Bachelor Degree (3 year full-time
    > quivalent in the country, as it was based on previous post-secondary education,
    > so took only 1 year)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 11th 2002, 1:01 pm
pkjmet

YHN <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I thought the the following education will be awarded 22, not 20, but some said it
    > secondary school 3 year full-time equivalent post-secondary diploma 1 year full
    > quivalent in the country, as it was based on previous post-secondary education,
    > so took only 1 year)

I do not think any reasonable person would accept an assessment of the point value of
your education without examining the diplomas and transcripts.

Jim Metcalfe, Consultant

Old Sep 11th 2002, 2:42 pm
David Cohen

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > so took only 1 year)

From the information provided, you would appear to be eligible for 22 points. A
review of the documents would be required to determine this accurately.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community:
http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Sep 11th 2002, 6:55 pm
Nosheen

The highest degree u have is a Bachelor's degree, thus u get 20 points. For
22 points, u need to have either 2 Bachelors degrees or a Master's degree of
only one year.

Nosheen

Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:28 pm
Stuart Brook

Nosheen wrote:
    > The highest degree u have is a Bachelor's degree, thus u get 20 points. For 22
    > points, u need to have either 2 Bachelors degrees or a Master's degree of only
    > one year.
    > Nosheen

Yes, but he has a 3 year diploma course which when combined with 15 years of
education gives him 22 points ... the points for education table is poorly
thought through.

Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

levu is an unknown quantity at this point

You are all misreading the regulations.

YES this person does have a 3 year diploma. However the regulations do not simply say diploma, they say non-university diploma........this person says that he got his bachelor degree in only 1 year because of his previous academic work (the diploma I guess)....therefore if the diploma was the kind of diploma which counts towards a university bachelor degree, then it would problably NOT be the kind of diploma which would attract 22 points. 20points is more likely.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:08 pm
jimmy

Originally posted by levu:
You are all misreading the regulations.

YES this person does have a 3 year diploma. However the regulations do not simply say diploma, they say non-university diploma........this person says that he got his bachelor degree in only 1 year because of his previous academic work (the diploma I guess)....therefore if the diploma was the kind of diploma which counts towards a university bachelor degree, then it would problably NOT be the kind of diploma which would attract 22 points. 20points is more likely.
:scared: :PARTY: hi

Old Sep 11th 2002, 11:47 pm
Stuart Brook

jimmy wrote:
    > Originally posted by levu:
    > > You are all misreading the regulations.
    > >
    > YES this person does have a 3 year diploma. However the regulations do not
    > simply say diploma, they say non-university diploma........this person says that
    > he got his bachelor degree in only 1 year because of his previous academic work
    > (the diploma I guess)....therefore if the diploma was the kind of diploma which
    > counts towards a university bachelor degree, then it would problably NOT be the
    > kind of diploma which would attract 22 points. 20points is more likely.
    > :scared: :PARTY: hi
    > --

It could have been a non-university diploma. There are universities which DO take
prior educational experience into account. Add to the fact that he has more than 15
years of education as opposed to the 14 required with a university bachelors degree.

The table as written does not cope with this kind of situation.

I would suspect he could get the 22 points even if it does require some latitude on
the part of the visa officer.

Old Sep 12th 2002, 4:55 am
YHN
Just Joined

YHN is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that there IS a confusion about how many points should be awarded to the person. To make things clear, the 3-year diploma is from an insititute that cannot offers 4-year Bachelor, in the country, it is not called the university of ..., but the college of .... so it might be not deemed to be from universities? if you define universities as an insititution that provide degrees. The funny thing is, in the country where the diploma was issued (probably in most countries?), it is common sense that the 3-year diploma in the same field from instiutions that offer bachelor is much better than this diploma from institutions cannot offer bachelor.

if a non-university is an insititution that cannot offer degrees, then 22 points will be given to this diploma? and only 20 (probably less, as it is not a degree) to be given to the diploma in exact same field from universities? something must be wrong here. so he'd better not to show his bachelor degree (hard earned one on top of his dipoma)?

Originally posted by Stuart Brook:
jimmy wrote:
    > Originally posted by levu:
    > > You are all misreading the regulations.
    > >
    > YES this person does have a 3 year diploma. However the regulations do not
    > simply say diploma, they say non-university diploma........this person says that
    > he got his bachelor degree in only 1 year because of his previous academic work
    > (the diploma I guess)....therefore if the diploma was the kind of diploma which
    > counts towards a university bachelor degree, then it would problably NOT be the
    > kind of diploma which would attract 22 points. 20points is more likely.
    > :scared: :PARTY: hi
    > --

It could have been a non-university diploma. There are universities which DO take
prior educational experience into account. Add to the fact that he has more than 15
years of education as opposed to the 14 required with a university bachelors degree.

The table as written does not cope with this kind of situation.

I would suspect he could get the 22 points even if it does require some latitude on
the part of the visa officer.