Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NEXUS - updating citizenship

NEXUS - updating citizenship

Old Sep 5th 2019, 3:53 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default NEXUS - updating citizenship

I went to Main Street office last Friday to update my citizenship (UK - Canadian) - got told it would be 5-7 business days until it updates online - I realize its not over 7 business days yet but due to the fact they never updated my residential address at YVR NEXUS office last May when I went up there to complete that, I don't hold out much hope tbh

Planning on going across the border this weekend (non NEXUS lane as apparently Im not allowed to use it until I order a new card and I cant do that until everything is updated online), should I go to the office in Blaine and try and update it there?

Old Sep 5th 2019, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS - updating citizenship

Yeah you have to update your citizenship at both the Canadian NEXUS office and the US NEXUS office, so you have to go to the Blaine one as well, or the US NEXUS office at YVR (next door to the Canada one). I guess there's some kind of data sharing issue there.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:41 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Yeah you have to update your citizenship at both the Canadian NEXUS office and the US NEXUS office, so you have to go to the Blaine one as well, or the US NEXUS office at YVR (next door to the Canada one). I guess there's some kind of data sharing issue there.
Thanks!

It is funny that when I asked the person on the reception desk at Main Street if I had to go to Blaine to update as well, I was told no.

I wish there was some consistency with information when it comes to NEXUS

Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
The Nexus office on Main St has both Canadian and US agents stationed there and is a full enrolment centre (same as Blaine). The problem with it is that it can be hard to talk to an actual agent at Main St as the people at the reception desk often just copy the documents and then pass them on to be processed at a later time.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:34 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by bc2015
The Nexus office on Main St has both Canadian and US agents stationed there and is a full enrolment centre (same as Blaine). The problem with it is that it can be hard to talk to an actual agent at Main St as the people at the reception desk often just copy the documents and then pass them on to be processed at a later time.
that is exactly what happened.

Do do you think I can ask to speak to an officer/agent at Blaine even if I have to wait an hour or so?
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

that is exactly what happened.

Do do you think I can ask to speak to an officer/agent at Blaine even if I have to wait an hour or so?
You can ask. I've asked to speak with an agent at Main St before and never had to wait too long. At Blaine, they sometimes have agents at the reception desk too if I recall.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Main Street and then applied for a new card online after the system had updated. You must do both. I've written about the steps that I took and what I was told to do regarding choosing the reason for a replacement card (by the US when I emailed in) somewhere on another NEXUS thread on BE.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:26 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I went to Main Street and then applied for a new card online after the system had updated. You must do both. I've written about the steps that I took and what I was told to do regarding choosing the reason for a replacement card (by the US when I emailed in) somewhere on another NEXUS thread on BE.
You have to put ‘damaged’ as the reason.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they said in the email reply it doesn't matter which option you choose.

I can't recall what I selected but it worked.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:52 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes they said in the email reply it doesn't matter which option you choose.

I can't recall what I selected but it worked.
Main Street informed me to state damaged.

How long did did it take for it to update online for you?
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ages I believe I had to go twice.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 10:21 pm
Bex in the city

Update:

So I just went into Blaine NEXUS office. There were officers/agents around this time.

I was advised the information given at Main Street was not correct. I am supposed to come to Blaine to update as everything is done on this system and then they send this to Canadian side.

Apparently everything is updated now and my PR information has been deleted. (I can’t check as I don’t have roaming on my phone and I’m already having issues receiving SMS messages for some reason). Will check when I return.

Was again told to order a new card but that I can (and this was according to a CBP officer at the NEXUS office) use the NEXUS lane on the way back into Canada. I’m not sure if I will as I don’t want issues with CBSA until the card is updated.

They also initially wanted to see to see proof of citizenship (my certificate) but I thought my passport would be good enough. However they didn’t ask for it again so fingers crossed!

so moral of the story...information is not consistent on this at all.

I will report back when I check my trusted traveller account on return

Old Sep 6th 2019, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definitely not consistent. I never went to the US to do my updating. It was all done without leaving Canada. And my new Card says I'm Canadian.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 11:38 pm
Bex in the city

FURTHER UPDATE:

Success

Its updated - it states Canadian as citizenship, it also states British with my UK passport details as well but the top citizenship is Canadian (the one with the gold flag). Ive just ordered a new card for $25

If the new card still states UK on it then I'm just carrying both passports through the NEXUS line from now on
Old Sep 8th 2019, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I predict your new card will say CAN for Citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.