Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NEXUS news update

Wikiposts

NEXUS news update

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS news update

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought that governments make the rules about what documents are needed for travel, not IATA.
They do but some seem to think that other organizations have a say as well.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought that governments make the rules about what documents are needed for travel, not IATA.
I was told part of the reason was to do with the way the ticket purchase system works, which is international, there is a box for the passport number for international flights and NEXUS doesn't compute. However given that governments around the world are all starting to use trusted traveller programmes they're going to have to change at some point.

Also I suspect getting all the check-in staff trained on all manner of ID is pretty tough.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind so much if there was a passport card option like the US has. Canadian passports are quite bulky documents and they're also quite flimsy.

Still, at land borders it isn't an issue, unless you take the bus.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:42 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying he doesn't know what he is talking about then?

Originally Posted by Steve_
I strongly disagree.

As I recall from an article I was reading, the revocation figures for NEXUS cards are also a tiny figure which doesn't agree with what you've written.

Here is a study: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-ag...nf-ne-eng.html
Old Nov 25th 2012, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Airport definite advantage at Vancouver, Montreal & Toronto of having a NEXUS card.
Land Border hmmm did you read this bit
Infrastructure constraints are a major bottleneck diminishing the benefits of the programs to members. NEXUS Highway members and FAST commercial drivers cannot get to the designated lanes until a few metres from the PIL booths, reducing the expedited border clearance benefit. All but one bridge between the United States and Canada do not have dedicated NEXUS or FAST lanes. Many of the bridges are privately owned, limiting what the CBSA can do to prevent congestion.[52]

Furthermore, travellers in regular lanes are commonly waived through without having to pay duty and taxes on goods of smaller value, yet NEXUS members would likely be charged in such cases under the zero tolerance policy. NEXUS members entering the United States are allowed to bring in goods valued within the limit of their personal exemption/entitlement.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:43 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But they've improved it since that was written. There is a bottleneck at Pacific Hwy going south but Peace Arch is okay. And it's never an issue at Coutts, I was surprised they even put a NEXUS lane in.

Having said that though even at Pacific Hwy it is much faster, just not as fast as it could be.

Dunno about back east, have yet to cross a land border there with my NEXUS card, I assume the new Detroit-Windsor bridge which will be designed with it in mind.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But they've improved it since that was written. There is a bottleneck at Pacific Hwy going south but Peace Arch is okay. And it's never an issue at Coutts, I was surprised they even put a NEXUS lane in.

Having said that though even at Pacific Hwy it is much faster, just not as fast as it could be.

Dunno about back east, have yet to cross a land border there with my NEXUS card, I assume the new Detroit-Windsor bridge which will be designed with it in mind.
According to a report that bridge wont be ready until 2018. Some crossings out East such as Fort Frances, Pigeon River, Sault Ste Marie and other crossings that are bridge crossings will be hard to improve as they are only 2lane crossings and some are privately owned so they wont spend money on them.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

But is there a big backup at those crossings? I wouldn't have thought Sault Ste Marie was that busy.

Like I said, even then NEXUS is faster because after you wait in line they deal with you more quickly.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But is there a big backup at those crossings? I wouldn't have thought Sault Ste Marie was that busy.

Like I said, even then NEXUS is faster because after you wait in line they deal with you more quickly.
Some of these crossings can be very busy and especially on the weekends and even busier on long weekends. I used to work at Pigeon River just south of Thunder Bay pre NEXUS days. It was not uncommon to have a 3 km tail back of traffic trying to cross on a Sunday afternoon from noon till midnight.
Even with a NEXUS lane it took sometimes 2 hours to get to the point where you could drive into a dedicated NEXUS lane as you had to cross a bridge that was single lane each way.
The average Primary questioning for a vehicle containing 4 occupants should take no longer than 4 minutes. Sure NEXUS is quicker but if you have waited in line for 2 hours to get to the NEXUS lane to then save 3 minutes then I guess its mission achieved.
We have a NEXUS enrollment office where I work and people who have Canadian passports are still paying the $50 for a NEXUS card that they might use twice a year Waste of money if you ask me.
If a frequent flyer or business traveller then yes NEXUS can be very beneficial.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I think it is beneficial for land borders, for example if you live around Douglas and commute across to Blaine to fill up, but the NEXUS lane at Peace Arch isn't really an issue. Depends on the POE really.