Nexus Card

Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus Card

Originally Posted by Steve_
The main thing they've proposed with those regs is to make the criminal record restriction much tighter, which I told CBSA I thought was stupid because CBSA use their method of comparing a foreign offence with a domestic offence which works for simple entries but the definition they're going to use for NEXUS cards is narrower, so for example, someone convicted in Hong Kong for public disorder protesting against a totalitarian government might be precluded from getting one.

Which is mad.
I dont disagree with you on that example. The NEXUS website says the following

you have been convicted of a serious criminal offence in any country for which you have not received a pardon (for U.S. background checks you may be questioned about your full criminal history, including arrests and pardons, which may exclude you from NEXUS);
you have a recorded violation of customs, immigration or agriculture law;

A conviction for DUI in a country outside Canada makes you inadmissible into Canada.
A self admission of using drugs can make you inadmissible into the USA but a conviction for DUI doesn't.
My emphasis would be on a serious criminal offence which basically means for Canadian purposes an offence for which you could receive a jail sentence of 10 years or more.
There again burglary in a dwelling carries a life sentence so is a serious criminal offence. So if a 20 yr old was convicted of this offence and they are now 40 yrs old with no other convictions should they still be excluded from NEXUS?
I dont.
Because NEXUS and Global entry are linked in the air mode I have seen Canadians with minor convictions approved for NEXUS but disqualified by the US.
My experience is that the USA disqualify more applicants than the Canadians do.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 10:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So have they issued you with a pistol yet?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So have they issued you with a pistol yet?
I am one of the holdouts so far which is another story in itself but it looks like I will be able to finish my career without having to go for the training.