Nexus

Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:31 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nexus

From looking at the eligibility criteria for getting a nexus card, my understanding is that PR's can apply if you have lived in Canada for 3 years. Does anyone know if that is 3 years as a PR or will they count time as a temporary resident towards the 3 years.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:41 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nexus

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
From looking at the eligibility criteria for getting a nexus card, my understanding is that PR's can apply if you have lived in Canada for 3 years. Does anyone know if that is 3 years as a PR or will they count time as a temporary resident towards the 3 years.
I'm going to say it's 3 year's of residency regardless of status.

I got my Nexus early this year and wasn't PR until mid 2009 so I've not quite been resident on PR for 3 years yet. I was on TWP and in Canada from 2006-2009 prior. I'd totally not noticed that piece when applying and it wasn't brought up in the application process.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you actually need one? I looked at it a couple of years ago and decided that it wasn't worth the time and expense. If I travelled to the US weekly, then possibly. Otherwise a waste of time.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:55 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvy
Do you actually need one? I looked at it a couple of years ago and decided that it wasn't worth the time and expense. If I travelled to the US weekly, then possibly. Otherwise a waste of time.
For $50 for 5 years of eligibilty it's a pretty minor cost. I travel down a few times a year and it's well worth it for those early morning flights out of Calgary. Also coming back is way smoother especially if a few flights land at the same time.

I've even considered getting it for my whole family for the 1 trip a year we'd do.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hobbess
For $50 for 5 years of eligibilty it's a pretty minor cost. I travel down a few times a year and it's well worth it for those early morning flights out of Calgary. Also coming back is way smoother especially if a few flights land at the same time.

I've even considered getting it for my whole family for the 1 trip a year we'd do.
OK. That makes sense. I looked at in terms of total time (doing the paperwork, going to interview etc) compared to what time I'd possibly save. It didn't stack up.

Plus, I have a slight disinclination to giving the US authorities more information on myself than they need or have a right to know.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I got it to avoid some issues with zealous border guards, however the biggest benefit is, as a well vetted traveler, now is access to the nexus domestic security line (Toronto & Montreal) which is faster and shorter in peak travel periods..

key point to note is that you still need an I-94 for land crossings and ESTA for Air travel, they'll brief you in the final stage of the application on what you'll need

I got mine with 3yrs PR
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:42 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I got it to avoid some issues with zealous border guards, however the biggest benefit is, as a well vetted traveler, now is access to the nexus domestic security line (Toronto & Montreal) which is faster and shorter in peak travel periods..

key point to note is that you still need an I-94 for land crossings and ESTA for Air travel, they'll brief you in the final stage of the application on what you'll need

I got mine with 3yrs PR
One could, of course, get Cdn citizenship. That also makes immigration queues a bit shorter.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:48 pm
Procrastinating

One could, of course, get Cdn citizenship. That also makes immigration queues a bit shorter.
Not any quicker than having Residency when coming back to Calgary at least. The line seperates into 3 for Nexus, residents and everyone else.

It would make a small difference going to the US as you'd have a few less steps when actually talking to the officer - no finger printing etc, but you'd still be standing in the long line to get there. Again just based on my Calgary experience.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:20 pm

Thanks everyone

Going to get our online application in ASAP.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

that is slowly in progress but as with anything involving the Canadian goverment it takes years, nexus is quicker.........
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:28 pm

It will be years before we get citizenship. we can apply next spring, but when I think of how much time I spend out of Canada on trips back to the UK, plus vacation time to other destinations, it will push me back further. Then add the processing time, who knows when it will be.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You merely need to have lived in Canada and/or the US for the past three years legally, you don't even need to be a PR. I had a NEXUS card before I was a citizen.

The major advantage to having one is entering Canada, because you can use it entering Canada from anywhere, not just the US (although you can use the global entry booths at US airports as well).

If you're not a citizen, you still have to get an I-94 and go through US-VISIT when entering the US.

The main thing you have to bear in mind I think is that you must still have your passport with you when travelling by air, this is an IATA requirement, you have to show it at check-in, but CBP and CBSA don't look at it anymore (if you have a visa in your passport that you are using, you have to report this to the NEXUS office and they add it to your NEXUS record).

BTW, the CBSA inspector at YYC in the NEXUS office is a real jobsworth.

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 8th 2012 at 8:17 am.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Not any quicker than having Residency when coming back to Calgary at least. The line seperates into 3 for Nexus, residents and everyone else.

It would make a small difference going to the US as you'd have a few less steps when actually talking to the officer - no finger printing etc, but you'd still be standing in the long line to get there. Again just based on my Calgary experience.
Have they changed the lines at Calgary then? I always thought they processed everyone together (citizens, PRs, TWPs and visitors). I have never noticed the Nexus line but, from what others are saying on here, I assume they must have one.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:20 pm
Procrastinating

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Have they changed the lines at Calgary then? I always thought they processed everyone together (citizens, PRs, TWPs and visitors). I have never noticed the Nexus line but, from what others are saying on here, I assume they must have one.
They've had the seperate line for Nexus at Canadian immigration for a few years now. It's also now even quicker as once you get your Nexus ticket you don't even need to stop to speak to anyone, just carry on to baggage collection.

Also I think it was last year that they split the main herd into residents and visitors. Not sure that makes a huge difference when coming back from the US, but when flying in from the UK it does.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:12 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Not in toronto - Eveyone is in the same queues at immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.