Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

News for nurses headed to Alberta

News for nurses headed to Alberta

Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default News for nurses headed to Alberta

Calgary nurse shortage predicted

CBC News Posted: Sep 19, 2011 10:36 AM MT Last Updated: Sep 19, 2011 10:27 AM MT Read 9 comments9

Calgary could face a shortage of nurses by 2012, documents suggest, just as the city's new billion-dollar hospital is set to open.

A looming nurse shortage in Calgary is causing concern. CBC
Internal Alberta Health Services documents obtained by the CBC predict a shortage of nearly 2,000 nurses in Calgary by next year, causing concern for the city's new $1.3-billion South Calgary Health Campus that is set to open in 2012.

Now, newly elected liberal leader Raj Sherman said building the hospital was not well thought out.

Sherman said the provincial Conservatives have dumped millions of dollars into new facilities without adding capacity in the system.

"Where are you going to get the operational funds and the staff for the new buildings?" he said. "All they are doing is shuffling the staff or shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic."

Indeed, Chris Eagle, chief executive of Alberta Health Services acknowledges there is a shortage of staff, but said AHS has a plan to deal with it.

"We will have to change our workforce mix because it will be changed for us," he said. "The aging and retirement of senior nurses will create just that change. We have to adapt and change for it and that is what we are doing."

But some fear that "new mix" means greater reliance on lesser-trained staff.

If the province doesn't change that mix, its own documents suggest Alberta will face a shortage of more than 5,000 nurses in five years.

Heather Smith of the United Nurses of Alberta said that without more nurses the new hospital would not add beds to the system.

"If we don't have the personnel, we'll have here what we already had in Calgary with expansions at the Peter Lougheed (Centre) and the Rockyview (General Hospital)," said Smith. "Other beds will have to close and staff will have to be re-located in order to open any beds or minimal beds at that site."
Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News for nurses headed to Alberta

We have applied for registration to CRNBC, once this comes through, how difficult to transfer this registration to CARNA?

Can we register for both CARNA and CRNBC?

If this proves to be accurate, I suspect NOC 3152 will be on next years list of Skilled workers. Great news for hard working UK nurses, who will be able to earn what they deserve. They just don't get paid enough in the UK.

I will be ringing Alberta Heath to see if they can PNP/LMO/TWP until our PR comes through.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think that "new mix" means Alberta Health Services is going to try to fill the majority of positions with much cheaper LPNs.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

try

I am sure you are right TRY!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:29 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I would think that "new mix" means Alberta Health Services is going to try to fill the majority of positions with much cheaper LPNs.
Yup.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Of course they will, isn't that what all health services do and then realise too late 'oops a mistake has been made' lets do a 'U' turn.
Health care business is cyclical and there are always quick fix solutions that are less cost effective in the long term
Pardon me for being cynical.

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Sep 20th 2011 at 2:56 pm. Reason: explanation