Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Newfoundland accents

Newfoundland accents

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Newfoundland accents

wow, I'm watching a really interesting program about a guy who collects things he finds washed up on the beach by his house in North Cornwall (UK) a lot of the items are from fishermen in N.America whos lobster pot tags etc eventually get washed up on the Cornish shores. Anyway, to get to the point, the man often calls people up to let them know and gather infomation about them and I never realised the people of newfoundland had such interesting accents. They are like a mix of Canadian, Scottish and Southern English.. I guess it makes sense if you consider their history, I'd just never actually heard one before... probably doesnt make for an interesting post but nevermind

Last edited by Brodel; Jul 22nd 2005 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newfoundland accents

Originally Posted by Brodel
wow, I'm watching a really interesting program about a guy who collects things he finds washed up on the beach by his house in North Cornwall (UK) a lot of the items are from fishermen in N.America whos lobster pot tags etc eventually get washed up on the Cornish shores. Anyway, to get to the point, the man often calls people up to let them know and gather infomation about them and I never realised the people of newfoundland had such interesting accents. They are like a mix of Canadian, Scottish and Southern English.. I guess it makes sense if you consider their history, I'd just never actually heard one before... probably doesnt make for an interesting post but nevermind

You can get a better idea if you watch he movie "The Shipping News".
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:33 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

One of best friends is a Newfoundlander and on her own her accent is mild and one could barely tell where she's from but get her and her Newfie husband drunk and there is no mistaking it.

I just searched the CBC archives and found these - you can hear a variety of NF accents (although the Shipping News might be more entertaining ):

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-564-...d_confed/clip6
-- on this clip you can hear one type of NF accent ... and see Rex Murphy as a young stud

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-75-679-...rcutting/clip8

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-1595..._economy/clip6

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-1595..._economy/clip5
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

awesome, thanks a lot! it's such a great accent
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

From the ones I`ve met, you won`t find much nicer people. Oh, and they love a good drink
Old Jul 24th 2005, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Their accent to me sounds rather like a cross between a Cornish/Devon and southern Irish accent.
It is indeed lovely.
The people from Cape Breton NS have a similarly Irish sounding accent.

Maritimers are wonderful people by the way. They're extremely friendly
and love a drink and a laugh.