Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for advice

Newbie looking for advice

Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

stum85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newbie looking for advice

Hi ladies and gents

I know you just get so many of these type of threads but any advice would be really appreciated.

My fiance and I are looking to move to Canada specifically BC. We are planning a trip this summer to check the place out.

I am 30, fiance is 26. I currently work as a commissioning engineer in shipbuilding, think this might be classed as engineering technician on the skilled jobs list.

Can someone give me a basic breakdown of the process I would need to go through that would give me the best chance of gaining PR?

Can I get a provence to sponsor me? Do I need to have a job lined up or can I look for a job while waiting on the visa or move over then start looking for a job?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to having discussions with you guys.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:49 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie looking for advice

I would suggest grabbing yourself a cup of coffee and having a thorough read through of the wiki. There are over 50 routes to PR, it will be up to you to research some of the various work streams and work out which you may be qualified for. Once you have done some of your own research and can ask specific questions on specific streams, you will find you will get much better advice on here.

I would suggest having a look at Express Entry and seeing if you may get enough points there to apply through that stream. BC does have a PNP route, again, read up on it to see if you might be able to get a nomination. Also have a look at the IEC program. It's closed for this year but you may get lucky in the 2016 batch a year from now.

Good luck!
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks schnooko!

I tried to go on the B.C. PNP website although it's just coming up with info about it being frozen until July. Works I need a job offer to go down the PNP route?

Also I will be 31 by the time next year comes so I think that rules out the working holiday visa.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:57 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stum85
Thanks schnooko!

I tried to go on the B.C. PNP website although it's just coming up with info about it being frozen until July. Works I need a job offer to go down the PNP route?

Also I will be 31 by the time next year comes so I think that rules out the working holiday visa.
Ah yes, you won't qualify for the WHV, but it might be an option for your other half. You've unfortunately just missed out on this year - the second and probably last round went two days ago!

Most job streams require a job offer first, but not all of them, so you'll have to really do some research to see how easy it might be. It might also be worth considering other provinces as well, where sometimes job offers and/or nominations are easier to get.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again.

I have noticed this on the CIC website:

33. Do I need a job offer to get into the Express Entry pool?

If you meet the criteria of one of the economic immigration programs subject to Express Entry, you will be accepted into the Express Entry pool. A job offer supported by an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada is a significant asset, but not a requirement.

So I don't need a job offer then is that right? Although is it practically impossible to get invited to apply without one even though it says this?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:04 pm
Concierge

My understanding is that for EE, if you have a job offer/LMIA then yo uget an extra 600 points which pretty well guarantees you an invite. You can apply without one. The last round I think had a points threshold of 470 or something, so some people got invites who didn't have job offers. It depends on how many points you otherwise have. If you only have maybe 150 points then it's unlikely you'll get invited.

Check out the Express Entry thread.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Schnooko really appreciate it
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ladies and gents

I know you just get so many of these type of threads but any advice would be really appreciated.

My fiance and I are looking to move to Canada specifically BC. We are planning a trip this summer to check the place out.

I am 30, fiance is 26. I currently work as a commissioning engineer in shipbuilding, think this might be classed as engineering technician on the skilled jobs list.

Can someone give me a basic breakdown of the process I would need to go through that would give me the best chance of gaining PR?

Can I get a provence to sponsor me? Do I need to have a job lined up or can I look for a job while waiting on the visa or move over then start looking for a job?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to having discussions with you guys.

Many thanks.
Welcome! My OH is also an engineer. Shipbuilding is interesting.

Suggestions as others have said:

1. BC PNP - Check out their website. It looks like they are closed on regular processing for a couple of months but the Express Entry one is still open. For Express Skilled Worker, looks like you need a job but not necessarily with an LMIA so that's good to know.

2. Express Entry PR is the Government's new immigration system and by all reports, it's working well although I don't know if anyone has received PR yet through that route. Still, it is intended to be faster.

3. WHV for your OH sounds like a good shot. One of you making money first will help settle any moving nerves.

Good luck with everything,
D.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Cheers dishwashing. Could I come over I her WHV?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:31 pm
Concierge

No, WHVs do not allow any dependants.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Hi ladies and gents

Many thanks.
Hey,

I don't really know much about the different options that you can take, but have you considered the East Coast? (Halifax) as Irving are starting to move with the big ship building contract and are currently hiring people at the moment..
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

What you can also do is when you visit with her, also set up a few "meetings" and see if there is possibility of an employer being interested in your skills/background. My OH had no problems with the engineering background.
You could then apply through BC PNP with a job offer, I believe they will support a work permit application based on this (double check their website though for details).

Like SchnookoLoly said as well, EE does not require an LMIA job or PNP - but it helps with the scores.

Good luck!
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:28 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
No, WHVs do not allow any dependants.
Have had someone point out to me that this is misleading - WHVs do not allow dependants to work but dependants can come as visitors.