Newbie Advice

Old Dec 18th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Advice

I do love my spreadsheets . I think it is easier it you aren't fussy which province you go to though isn't it, though how many are prepared to just go for the easiest way I'm not sure.

There are also the Entrepreneur streams of PNP depending how much money and business experience OP has. As you say, without knowing CRS score it is difficult to know what's feasible.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 7:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
OP, what field of IT are you working in? Companies are not really wanting to be shelling out thousands of $$ for a generalist.

From chatting to my Canadian colleagues, the IT market can be tough in Toronto. From what I understand more about networking and who you know rather than applying for positions advertised.
I am now working, just outside the GTA, with H1-B people. I've worked with H1-B people before, in several States, but this is the first time I've heard of a company in Canada using temporary immigrants to the US to work remotely on jobs in Canada. It's because there aren't enough suitable IT people here. The people I work with who are physically here are about 50% new immigrants ("new" meaning I recall the day they arrived shivering) and about 50% longer term immigrants. There are some cradles but the number is lost to rounding.

Since the workforce is truly from the four corners, the idea that word of mouth is key to finding a job beggars belief. There is no network of Peruvians of Japanese descent nor of francophone Uruguayans, the Nepalese guy did previously live in Nebraska but there's no more a network of Nebraskans then there is of Nepalese. The key to finding a first job, a contract job, is having fashionable skills.

Like the new lottery winner suddenly has lots of friends, the fashionably skilled developer suddenly knows lots of people.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 18th 2016 at 7:27 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I am now working, just outside the GTA, with H1-B people. I've worked with H1-B people before, in several States, but this is the first time I've heard of a company in Canada using temporary immigrants to the US to work remotely on jobs in Canada. It's because there aren't enough suitable IT people here. The people I work with who are physically here are about 50% new immigrants ("new" meaning I recall the day they arrived shivering) and about 50% longer term immigrants. There are some cradles but the number is lost to rounding.
I am not entirely sure I understand this, as I did not mention my company is hiring people in the US to work remotely on jobs in Canada. My company is US based and they have strict procedures they follow in regard to staff working on visa's. They will/would not hire a H1-B in the US to work remotely for a position in Canada. Canada is pretty strict on bring non locals in, with out some unique set of skills that cannot be addressed by the local job market. This is only based on my experience during the last year and seeing the forms and processes my manager and I went through. Australia on the other hand is quite lax but pretending to be strict. This is based upon my the two application processes I have been though.

My company would either hire in the US and have them based there, hire in Canada or look to do a inter-company transfer(possibly a non inter company transfer, but this would be very rare)

Since the workforce is truly from the four corners, the idea that word of mouth is key to finding a job beggars belief. There is no network of Peruvians of Japanese descent nor of francophone Uruguayans, the Nepalese guy did previously live in Nebraska but there's no more a network of Nebraskans then there is of Nepalese. The key to finding a first job, a contract job, is having fashionable skills.
I agree, but this is just the feedback I have had from colleagues in Toronto and what I have read on this and other different expat forums. And also a lot of jobs are not really advertised but based on word of mouth/referrals. Different countries have there own nuances to how the job markets work.

Like the new lottery winner suddenly has lots of friends, the fashionably skilled developer suddenly knows lots of people.
haha so true.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
I am not entirely sure I understand this, as I did not mention my company is hiring people in the US to work remotely on jobs in Canada.
I don't know if your company does, I'm just saying that it is happening now because there's such a shortage of IT people here. I suppose it's easier to persuade people to move from Bangalore to Texas than it is to get them to go to Ontario.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if your company does, I'm just saying that it is happening now because there's such a shortage of IT people here. I suppose it's easier to persuade people to move from Bangalore to Texas than it is to get them to go to Ontario.
Ah OK, sorry for my misunderstanding. And yes agree most are looking for the allusive GC, think the same could be said for PR to Australia.

Was not aware of the shortage, in Australia the market is flooded not just due to the high immigration, students also facing issues. So much outsourcing or offshoring going on.