Newbie Advice

Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Advice

Originally Posted by PoorlySketchedIdiot
That's what I've been seeing mostly, and it's disheartening me a little, if I am honest.

That beign said, I have been told that if a job is posted on the Jobbank (Home - Job Bank) then thay have already gone through the LMIA process.

Does anyone know if that is *actually* the case or just one of those rumours?
Have you thought about Australia or New Zealand? From what I have read on here, the application process for Australia is a bit 'easier' than Canada, plus you get better weather
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoorlySketchedIdiot
That's what I've been seeing mostly, and it's disheartening me a little, if I am honest.

That beign said, I have been told that if a job is posted on the Jobbank (Home - Job Bank) then thay have already gone through the LMIA process.

Does anyone know if that is *actually* the case or just one of those rumours?
No, that's not true, sorry. An unnamed LMIA is very rare, employers can't usually apply for them in advance as it would be specific to you i.e. your name on the application, details of your experience/why you're suitable versus any Canadians that applied etc.

You can check out the actual application forms and process here to see how a LMIA has to be applied for - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...igh/apply.html

HTH.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

PoorlySketchedIdiot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, that's not true, sorry. An unnamed LMIA is very rare, employers can't usually apply for them in advance as it would be specific to you i.e. your name on the application, details of your experience/why you're suitable versus any Canadians that applied etc.

You can check out the actual application forms and process here to see how a LMIA has to be applied for - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...igh/apply.html

HTH.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about the PNP (provincial nomination program) route of express entry? Almost all of the provinces have a PNP scheme, the requirements vary but for some of them you don't need a job offer.

You can apply to the province and if they accept you and nominate you, you get an extra 600 points added to your express entry CRS score, which pretty much guarantees you an ITA from CIC for PR, which will then be granted provided you successfully navigate the medicals, background d checks, criminal checks etc.

I am over simplifying, but if you google "Yukon PNP scheme" or "Ontario PNP Scheme" they all have dedicated websites with full details.

Do you speak French? We got a lot of extra points and my husband and I are bilingual, so it could be worth exploring if you do.

We got our PR in July and arrived in Canada in August, so we are new too!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Gah sorry for typos, toddler had just tipped a glass of milk over me and its hard to type in soggy slippers!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:39 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Gah sorry for typos, toddler had just tipped a glass of milk over me and its hard to type in soggy slippers!
You type with your toes?
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes I do, another of my numerous talents if only CIC awarded points for the weird and wonderful, we would have been here long ago!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:46 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Raindrops- are you actually the perfect couple, you love snow, you can survive on the Artic Tundra, you have travelled all over, you type with your toes, have Fluffy the beautiful but badass dog, have interesting other pets and you are both bilingual.... come on, there must be some skeleton in your closet- awful body odour, a love for Eastenders... ?anything?
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stinkypup - I have a mausoleum full . Perhaps if I eek them out over the next few years of posting nobody will notice....
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

But thank you
Old Dec 18th 2016, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

OP, what field of IT are you working in? Companies are not really wanting to be shelling out thousands of $$ for a generalist.

From chatting to my Canadian colleagues, the IT market can be tough in Toronto. From what I understand more about networking and who you know rather than applying for positions advertised.

The same also applies to Australia, immigrant overload, high cost centre, companies offshoring or outsourcing to cut costs.

Canada I would say has more openings from what I have seen, comparing the internal vacancies for my company at least 4 to 1.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 8:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about the PNP (provincial nomination program) route of express entry? Almost all of the provinces have a PNP scheme, the requirements vary but for some of them you don't need a job offer.

You can apply to the province and if they accept you and nominate you, you get an extra 600 points added to your express entry CRS score, which pretty much guarantees you an ITA from CIC for PR, which will then be granted provided you successfully navigate the medicals, background d checks, criminal checks etc.

I am over simplifying, but if you google "Yukon PNP scheme" or "Ontario PNP Scheme" they all have dedicated websites with full details.

Do you speak French? We got a lot of extra points and my husband and I are bilingual, so it could be worth exploring if you do.

We got our PR in July and arrived in Canada in August, so we are new too!
If the OP wants to go to Ontario, then their PNP is closed now, but even when it reopens it might be tricker to get than a LMIA, because not only is a job offer needed for it, but the employer has to pay double what they'd have to pay for a LMIA as well and go through a lot of paperwork and hassle.

Unfortunately, very few PNP's streams don't require a job offer, but once the OP has a job offer and sponsoring employer, the employer can then decide whether to go down the LMIA or PNP route.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I though the Ontario PNP was due to reopen, or at least give an announcement fairly soon? Most of the PNP schemes historically shut at this time of year and reopen in the new year though don't they?

You don't need a job offer for the Ontario Human Capital Priorities stream, or at least you didn't for the 2015 and 2016 runs. They were sending invites to apply for their PNP via myCIC to those with more than 400 CRS points. We were sent an invitation to apply to their PNP as we didn't have job offers.

Last year you didn't need a job offer for their French speaking stream either, not sure if it will be different this year?

In 2016 the PNPs which didn't need a job offer were, going from the spreadsheet I made at the time...

Saskatchewan (but your occupation had to be on their in demand list)
Nova Scotia (but your occupation had to be on their in demand list)
Ontario (but you had to score 400 + CRS points)
Prince Edward Island
New Brunswick (but your occupation had to be on their in demand list or you had to speak fluent French)
Manitoba (but you have to prove a connection to Manitoba)

So depends if the OP is happy to try another province or really is set on Ontario, as KT might be easier to get PR in another province.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, typo, should be and we didn't have job offers.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I though the Ontario PNP was due to reopen, or at least give an announcement fairly soon? Most of the PNP schemes historically shut at this time of year and reopen in the new year though don't they?

You don't need a job offer for the Ontario Human Capital Priorities stream, or at least you didn't for the 2015 and 2016 runs. They were sending invites to apply for their PNP via myCIC to those with more than 400 CRS points. We were sent an invitation to apply to their PNP as we didn't have job offers.

Last year you didn't need a job offer for their French speaking stream either, not sure if it will be different this year?

In 2016 the PNPs which didn't need a job offer were, going from the spreadsheet I made at the time...

Saskatchewan (but your occupation had to be on their in demand list)
Nova Scotia (but your occupation had to be on their in demand list)
Ontario (but you had to score 400 + CRS points)
Prince Edward Island
New Brunswick (but your occupation had to be on their in demand list or you had to speak fluent French)
Manitoba (but you have to prove a connection to Manitoba)

So depends if the OP is happy to try another province or really is set on Ontario, as KT might be easier to get PR in another province.
Wowser, a spreadsheet - a girl after my own heart!

The OP needs to check how many points he's got on the CRS as the first step, I think he'd need a job offer for Ontario PNP personally as I don't see him scoring over 400 (unless he's got a PhD he's not mentioned!) , but hopefully he can let us know what he's scoring.

Ontario PNP will reopen fairly soon, so if the OP can get a job offer then that's an option, but it will be up to the employer whether they do that or the LMIA app for him - usually the employer would choose the LMIA as it's cheaper and less intrusive, but their call really.

I agree that PR will be easier to get via PNP in another province, depends on if he's got his heart set on Toronto or not, but I think he'll be fairly limited in choice of PNP without a job offer, so he might just want to aim for Toronto with a job offer anyway.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 18th 2016 at 2:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.