Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New or second hand motor ?

New or second hand motor ?

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default New or second hand motor ?

After a bit of advice all. We will be looking at the end of January for our first motor. The company I work for has provided us with a rental 4x4 till then. I know all the pitfalls with new and second hand cars just want to know your experiences with this in Canada. We are thinking of buying new and keeping for a number of years. In my opinion, with second hand you're never really sure of how the car has been looked after previously, so second hand or new??

So far for us, we are looking at the SUV types and have narrowed it down to Ford edge and Jeep cherokee. There is not much difference pricewise between second hand with good milage and new. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New or second hand motor ?

Originally Posted by happyhammers
After a bit of advice all. We will be looking at the end of January for our first motor. The company I work for has provided us with a rental 4x4 till then. I know all the pitfalls with new and second hand cars just want to know your experiences with this in Canada. We are thinking of buying new and keeping for a number of years. In my opinion, with second hand you're never really sure of how the car has been looked after previously, so second hand or new??

So far for us, we are looking at the SUV types and have narrowed it down to Ford edge and Jeep cherokee. There is not much difference pricewise between second hand with good milage and new. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
I would buy the whole vehicle, a motor is not a lot of use on its own.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

When we first came we bought two used cars from a well known (in our area) used car dealer, both served us well. However, given that you have to pay HST on used as well as new vehicles, the lifespan of a car here is generally shorter than in the UK and that used cars are not much cheaper than new in some cases we have bought new ever since. Our plan is one new one every 5 years, so my business car is less than 5 years old, and then it goes down the line so second car is 5-10 years old, by which time they are pretty much scrap.
Our son had been driving the first car we got when we moved here but at 12 years old it finally gave up earlier this year and we had to look into a replacement for him. We were definitely thinking used vehicle, but we found that we couldn't get anything less than 5 years old for less than $7k. We then noticed that Hyundai were doing a deal on their Accents $10,400 on the road (only HST on top). Its completed unloaded, ie manual, no AC, and wind up windows, but it has ABS, traction control and power steering. Plus the Hyundai Warranty and free oil changes for life. It was a no brainer for us.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy second hand, be absolutely sure to conduct a lien search yourself before parting with any money even if you buy through a well known dealership. E.g. in Ontario:

https://www.ontario.ca/home-and-comm...ct-lien-search
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

HID bought a new car and it seems fine for her needs, a smallish commute and going to the hairdressers. If I need a car I use a work one but in all honesty I tend to take cabs or the bus and if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll walk.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
When we first came we bought two used cars from a well known (in our area) used car dealer, both served us well. However, given that you have to pay HST on used as well as new vehicles, the lifespan of a car here is generally shorter than in the UK and that used cars are not much cheaper than new in some cases we have bought new ever since. Our plan is one new one every 5 years, so my business car is less than 5 years old, and then it goes down the line so second car is 5-10 years old, by which time they are pretty much scrap.
Our son had been driving the first car we got when we moved here but at 12 years old it finally gave up earlier this year and we had to look into a replacement for him. We were definitely thinking used vehicle, but we found that we couldn't get anything less than 5 years old for less than $7k. We then noticed that Hyundai were doing a deal on their Accents $10,400 on the road (only HST on top). Its completed unloaded, ie manual, no AC, and wind up windows, but it has ABS, traction control and power steering. Plus the Hyundai Warranty and free oil changes for life. It was a no brainer for us.
Two points here. First, poor old Mr. Gerchikov must be pissed about always driving a second hand 5-10 year old car and secondly, even given that you're getting the cheap Accent for your son, for gods sake splash out on the AC. You could suggest perhaps that he pay for that bit.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I was your son I'd tell you to go and stick the car.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
HID bought a new car and it seems fine for her needs, a smallish commute and going to the hairdressers. If I need a car I use a work one but in all honesty I tend to take cabs or the bus and if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll walk.
My van went for scrap 6 weeks ago and I've been walking and bussing; finally bought a monthly bus pass a few days ago and been riding the daylights out of it!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are coming at this from. If you want to spend the absolute minimum averaged month on month, buy an old beater and replace it when something real expensive dies. The (3rd party only) insurance savings alone make it a financial winner.

But most people want a bit more in the way of comfort, efficiency, toys and reliability, and who can blame them. As a cash buyer, unaffected by finance rates, then I would say the best value is in late model year used vehicles, which tend to be ex daily rental cars that has been used 3 to 6 months and then sold used as a 2014 model with maybe 30000 km or less on them.

Maintenence isnt much of an issue over that short period and you have the dual benefits of a lot of manufacturers warantee left, and someone else having taken the depreciation hit that new private buyers experience. The big rental companies buy so many vehicles that they get a knock down price and often sell after three months for close to what they paid new. That buying power works in your favour.

In Ontario rust will kill a daily driver fairly quickly, 10, 12 years is doing OK for most. There will be exceptions, but generally they will be someones toy/baby, driven at the weekend, washed and put away for the winter. Anything that has been driven through the punishing winter salt exposure routine is likely to rust through before the engine/ transmission die.

I wouldnt want to choose between the Edge and the Cherokee, but are too much vehicle for me and I would soon tire of paying for the gas for either.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 24th 2014 at 12:49 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We vote for second hand. Completely disagree with what HGerchikov says sorry but it's nonsense about cars not lasting as long as in the UK and being scrap after 5-10 years and not being able to find anything cheap and road worthy and yes wd have bought cars in Ontario and have had them shipped to Alberta and yes it was worth it each time.

As in the UK it's buyer beware when buying second hand, the same precautions apply, if your not comfortable checking a car yourself, then get it checked out, I believe AMA/BCAA and the like provide this, if your still uncomfortable, then buy from a main dealer with some sort of peace of mind.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of wind up windows I prefer them. With the snow and freezing we have here it's easier, all of my neighbours broke the automatic window things last winter, the plastic couldn't take it and broke.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:41 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
On the subject of wind up windows I prefer them. With the snow and freezing we have here it's easier, all of my neighbours broke the automatic window things last winter, the plastic couldn't take it and broke.
Yep, automatic windows do like to freeze, the worst ones ard ones that have to drop before the door can be opened, if those freeze shut, your in trouble!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Depends where you are coming at this from. If you want to spend the absolute minimum averaged month on month, buy an old beater and replace it when something real expensive dies. The (3rd party only) insurance savings alone make it a financial winner.

But most people want a bit more in the way of comfort, efficiency, toys and reliability, and who can blame them. As a cash buyer, unaffected by finance rates, then I would say the best value is in late model year used vehicles, which tend to be ex daily rental cars that has been used 3 to 6 months and then sold used as a 2014 model with maybe 30000 km or less on them.

Maintenence isnt much of an issue over that short period and you have the dual benefits of a lot of manufacturers warantee left, and someone else having taken the depreciation hit that new private buyers experience. The big rental companies buy so many vehicles that they get a knock down price and often sell after three months for close to what they paid new. That buying power works in your favour.

In Ontario rust will kill a daily driver fairly quickly, 10, 12 years is doing OK for most. There will be exceptions, but generally they will be someones toy/baby, driven at the weekend, washed and put away for the winter. Anything that has been driven through the punishing winter salt exposure routine is likely to rust through before the engine/ transmission die.

I wouldnt want to choose between the Edge and the Cherokee, but are too much vehicle for me and I would soon tire of paying for the gas for either.
I agree with the ex rentals, they seem to be the best priced, for us we are cash buyer's with a little finance added on for the sake of getting a better credit score.
We visited capitalfordlincoln and asked them about the amount of salt they used on the roads in Regina and he replayed "they dont use much salt as compared with the uk" Yeah, and I just came down in the last rain fall.

Thanks iaink for your comment.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yep, automatic windows do like to freeze, the worst ones ard ones that have to drop before the door can be opened, if those freeze shut, your in trouble!
I dont think we will wind down the windows in -20 and below, we had that problem with the wifes car back in the uk , so never again.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.