Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new to saskatoon

new to saskatoon

Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

katekhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to saskatoon

I have just moved to saskatoon from London/surrey this week on a permanent resident visa along with my husband and our 3 children (Aged 8, 2 and 1).
What sort of things are available for my younger two children? Are there mum and toddler groups available to go to each week or library groups for little ones like in the uk?
Also how much do driving lessons cost, I have no clue how to drive despite being in my twenties as I never had a need for driving in London (nor the money! ) but appreciate life here will be hard without a car especially in winter.
Also where is the best place to shop for groceries. Ive heard walmart costco and Canadian superstore are popular, is there a difference in terms of price?
I want to work from home as a childminder or work in a local preschool or daycare place with my younger children. Are there many jobs going in this area? I have a teaching assistant diploma and childcare course from England would those be valid here?
Finally are there any good/cheap activities for my 8yr old as he needs a lot of stimulation as he is quite academic but gets bored and disruptive very quickly so I want to keep him busy in his spare time rather than allowing him to waste away hours on the computer. Are there any sports clubs offered at schools or cheap leisure centre subscriptions for youths available which don't cost the earth?
Any help would be appreciated
Kate
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to saskatoon

I'm sure someone in Saskatoon will be along to help, in the meantime welcome to the forum!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate
I moved to Saskatoon back in 2009 from Hastings
I have 4 children, 17, 8, 5 & 2. I now actually live in Martensville which is just outside S'toon but my kids go to school in the city.
Will try to answer your questions as best I can.
Kiddie groups are hard to find, Ive been here nearly 5 years now and found nothing like home but look online for the Saskatoon Leisure Guide, that has most of things going on in it. Most of the libraries have some sort of story time but without being mean, don't expect it to the same
Driving lessons, get your hubby to teach you, it will be a lot cheaper. My 17 year is having lessons from my hubby but if you want an actual school it seems to be about $80 per hour & yes do it as you will need a car in the winter, 4 walls will drive you insane
Grocery shopping isn't like home, they don't seem to compete with eachother so its really a case of hunting around for best prices etc. Buying in bulk from Costco is awesome but I can never leave that place without spending far too much haha. Walmart is basically ASDA & Superstore is basically Tesco
I run a daycare here and you can basically start up a daycare tomorrow. With you having all your qualifications you should be inundated with people wanting you to be their daycare provider, depending on what area of the city you live in.
You will find lots of activities for your 8yr old in the leisure guide, as an extra look for summer camps, they hold lots of them here in Canada full stop.
I hope Ive managed to answer a few of the questions for you, if you have anymore or just want to chat then feel free to message me.
Welcome to Toon Town
Ema
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katekhan
Are there mum and toddler groups available to go to each week or library groups for little ones like in the uk?
The library certainly organises things, but I'm not sure exactly what.

Also where is the best place to shop for groceries. Ive heard walmart costco and Canadian superstore are popular, is there a difference in terms of price?
We mostly go to Superstore because it's close and usually cheaper, but there isn't a huge difference in price between the stores. We usually only go to Walmart when there are specifc things that will be cheaper there, or only available there.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

muners is an unknown quantity at this point

Well judging by this there are a few brits in the area. I am currently going through the process of being hired by a company in sask. My family and I are going to settle in martensville as we have great friends that live there. I am supposed to be in country the first week of august. We're really looking forward to it. Especially our three year old. Any helpful hints amd advice for the next few months would be greatly appreciated, moving tips etc.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks rooander. Im in evergreen/silverspring in the new university heights planning area, there's construction everywhere I look.
I was hoping to either get a job at a preschool or B, rent a bigger place of my own later this year hopefully with a basement level for me to use solely for childcaree, ill have to see what I can afford!
Kate
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate
I believe you live right near my best friend Mel
We'll have to meet there for tea or coffee one day 😀
Ema
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: new to saskatoon

Rooander, yes I met Melanie once, who lives on the corner? What a small world! She is a lovely friendly lady. Yes we will have to meet there for a coffee, when you next go let me know if its ok for me to join you and ill def pop over...