Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Nova Scotians...

New Nova Scotians...

Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:30 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Nova Scotians...

How have you found the weather so far this winter?

How you finding driving in winter? Are the roads pretty much cleared as soon as it snows?

Tks in advance.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:48 am
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice
Default Re: New Nova Scotians...

Hi

We've been here since Oct so going through our first winter.

Temp wise I find it fine, we've hit the -20s a few times which can take your breath away but then -5 feels warm.

In my experience snow is cleared from main highways and other main roads within a very short time, say after half an hour of snow the ploughs are on the roads in force. Gritters are out hours before forecast snow - again main roads.

Residential and other side roads are I would say cleared within about 12 hrs. Although if the snow falls overnight the plough has usually been by the morning.

hth.

Our neighbours joke that we brought this weather as they haven't seen proper snow for a couple of years but now it just keeps coming.

I am not the most confident driver but after a couple of forced journeys in heavy snow (had to get home) I can cope fine. I just drive real slow keep distance between me and other vehicles and let all the mad people fly by me.

Lastly, but as far as I am concerned v important, OH and I both have snow tires fitted and they make a real difference with excellent grip on snow and ice (so much so we have got a bit lazy with clearing the driveway which is pretty steep).

Last edited by l i s a; Jan 16th 2008 at 11:55 am.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:12 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We have had snow the last couple of days. In fact a load arrived in early December and we had a bit of a white Christmas. However, just over a week ago the temps went up to +8C and it all disappeared. Now it's back. This morning it's -2C, but -9C including windchill.

Schools were off yesterday and are off again today due to blowing snow and early morning icy roads and this seems to be the deciding factor. Kids used to have plenty of snow days off school in Scotland too.

Our roads are kept pretty clear but you do see cars in ditches and I am sure many people in Canada heard about last weeks tragic accident about the Bathurst Phantoms basketball team in New Brunswick

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...b-9c8b1c10cf16

There are now reports that the use of these vehicles have been banned in lts of places due to safety aspect. However, it does not change the fact that the roads can be very dangerous so it's best not not be too complacent even when the roads have been sanded.

We are about to come into the coldest weather season. This time last year temps went as low as -30C including windchill. However, at that temp there are usually very few clouds therefore very little snow. Nice and sunny it was (although freeeezing). That means that it'll soon be time for the ourdoor rinks to be opened. We have 3 in our town and the kids love it - they are all floodlit and free too.

Last year we went to the local beach a few times. The frozen sea is a spectacular sight. You can see the sand on the pic and the pile of ice behind my boys are the frozen waves (PS this year the boys will wear long johns under their jeans!)

Day to day you just bundle up get on with it, carrying on as normal. To be honest most people (except maybe in the big cities) tend to drive everywhere as most stores etc are spread out. So it's a case of in and out of the car, not walking everywhere. Even those few minutes from car to building can freeze your nostrils so a warm jacket, hat, scarf and ski gloves are as a must.

The winters may be cold but the summer's here are lovely
Attached Thumbnails New Nova Scotians...-balmedie-beach-never-looked-like-.jpg  

Last edited by Cookie; Jan 16th 2008 at 12:14 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

I just wanted to say WOW what an amazing picture!!

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We have had snow the last couple of days. In fact a load arrived in early December and we had a bit of a white Christmas. However, just over a week ago the temps went up to +8C and it all disappeared. Now it's back. This morning it's -2C, but -9C including windchill.

Schools were off yesterday and are off again today due to blowing snow and early morning icy roads and this seems to be the deciding factor. Kids used to have plenty of snow days off school in Scotland too.

Our roads are kept pretty clear but you do see cars in ditches and I am sure many people in Canada heard about last weeks tragic accident about the Bathurst Phantoms basketball team in New Brunswick

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...b-9c8b1c10cf16

There are now reports that the use of these vehicles have been banned in lts of places due to safety aspect. However, it does not change the fact that the roads can be very dangerous so it's best not not be too complacent even when the roads have been sanded.

We are about to come into the coldest weather season. This time last year temps went as low as -30C including windchill. However, at that temp there are usually very few clouds therefore very little snow. Nice and sunny it was (although freeeezing). That means that it'll soon be time for the ourdoor rinks to be opened. We have 3 in our town and the kids love it - they are all floodlit and free too.

Last year we went to the local beach a few times. The frozen sea is a spectacular sight. You can see the sand on the pic and the pile of ice behind my boys are the frozen waves (PS this year the boys will wear long johns under their jeans!)

Day to day you just bundle up get on with it, carrying on as normal. To be honest most people (except maybe in the big cities) tend to drive everywhere as most stores etc are spread out. So it's a case of in and out of the car, not walking everywhere. Even those few minutes from car to building can freeze your nostrils so a warm jacket, hat, scarf and ski gloves are as a must.

The winters may be cold but the summer's here are lovely
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:36 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cynthia2373
I just wanted to say WOW what an amazing picture!!
Yeah - when the ocean freezes you know its pretty cold out!

Just to reitterate what others said above - I havent found the winters an issue really. Everyone here is used to cold weather and its just business as usual in winter - not like the UK where a few snowflakes result in nationwide panic!

You do need warm clothes. Also you do need snow/ice tires on your car - they really do make a difference. There are a few extra things to think about: when it snows you try to clear your paths before they all turn icy and slippery. If you have your driveway ploughed you need to buy some reflectors on tall sticks so the snow plough guy knows where your drive starts and ends etc.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a Nova Scotian but I do live somewhere we we get as much if not more snow. (but not generally as cold). Re. winter driving/plowing/storms. You just get on with it. Fit snowtires, get comfortable and familiar with driving in snow and life, unsurprisingly goes on most of the time. Yes in a big storm businesses and schools close & we get a day at home watching TV but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Of all the things to consider when moving to a new place, roads and snow would rate pretty far low down my list.

AX
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Wow thats amazing. How often does the Ocean freeze over ?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:13 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
Wow thats amazing. How often does the Ocean freeze over ?
I would think it happens every winter as the temps can go right down as low as -30C with windchill. Average temp I think is around -10 to -15C during mid winter.

Here is a link to Environment Canada - Nova Scotia climate
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

The Northumberland Strait on the North Shore is shallow which is why it has such warm water in the summer. Conversely in the winter it freezes over and before the Confederation Bridge was opened to Prince Edward Island, 15 miles off land, goods and people were transported across the ice. A rise in temperature and channels of blue soon appear.

We were up to 16C last week and the early snow disappeared but we have more now and it is just around 0C. It is wind that makes it seem cold else high minuses are easy to bear.

Last edited by Ontheboatout; Jan 17th 2008 at 12:05 am.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Weve been here over ten years now and this winter is proving to have a lot more snow than the last 3 or 4 years, but here in Halifax we get periods of rain in between so it usually washes lots away in between. there are also so many snow plows on the road 24/7 that its rarely a problem to get around in the city limits.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:31 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I would think it happens every winter as the temps can go right down as low as -30C with windchill. Average temp I think is around -10 to -15C during mid winter.

Here is a link to Environment Canada - Nova Scotia climate

Thanks all.

Yea i know about the weather statistics, i just wanted to hear personal opinions about how you're finding it as Brits/Irish. When we lived in Vancouver it hardly fell much below zero in winter but with the damp, it felt very cold. Some of the eastern Canucks would say it felt colder in Van a lot of the time than their eastern winter experiences.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Well i suppose the reason we concentrate on the rain washing it away part is because it means we dont have to shovel to get out of the driveway, time consuming and exhausting if it just keeps building up.....the cold here is not as damp as uk, the wind chill is the main factor which obviously makes it feel about 10 degrees more on the face, hands etc when walking any where, we keep a constant eye on the weather forecast as temperatures can change throughout the day..when you are first here you think everyone is being daft about telling you to take a hats, gloves, mits. scarf with you but if you are out in it too long boy you start to suffer....never could figure out why a lot of people have a treadmill in their basement until i realised i hardly walked anywhere in the cold.....hope that helps...gotta go and dig snow byeee!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:56 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
Well i suppose the reason we concentrate on the rain washing it away part is because it means we dont have to shovel to get out of the driveway, time consuming and exhausting if it just keeps building up.....the cold here is not as damp as uk, the wind chill is the main factor which obviously makes it feel about 10 degrees more on the face, hands etc when walking any where, we keep a constant eye on the weather forecast as temperatures can change throughout the day..when you are first here you think everyone is being daft about telling you to take a hats, gloves, mits. scarf with you but if you are out in it too long boy you start to suffer....never could figure out why a lot of people have a treadmill in their basement until i realised i hardly walked anywhere in the cold.....hope that helps...gotta go and dig snow byeee!
This is my third winter and I much prefer it to the UK - as long as you have winter boots, ski pants, coat, hat, gloves and scarf it's fine. I much prefer the dry cold here with sun and blue skies to the dark, damp, grey UK winter.

My top tip for snow removal - which I happened up on by chance when I bought my house - get a completely flat drive, if I don't feel like shovelling I just drive over it (4x4 or snow tires a bonus).