Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A new member with a job question

A new member with a job question

Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Liverpool Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A new member with a job question

Hi everyone - only just discovered this forum after it was recommended by an expat that moved to Canada and used to haunt this sight a few years back.

Anyway, I'm currently doing my research into living in the Calgary region. Have all the forms downloaded and an application for the Calgary Board of Education on my desk. I'm an English teacher and wondered if anybody out there knows what the teaching employment prospects are like there? Think getting a teaching job would take ages?

Hope to be spending a lot of time soaking up your wisdom in the months to come

Thanks in advance folks ~ Lou

Last edited by Liverpool Lou; Jan 13th 2005 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:05 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: A new member with a job question

Originally Posted by Liverpool Lou
Hi everyone - only just discovered this forum after it was recommended by an expat that moved to Canada and used to haunt this sight a few years back.

Anyway, I'm currently doing my research into living in the Calgary region. Have all the forms downloaded and an application for the Calgary Board of Education on my desk. I'm an English teacher and wondered if anybody out there knows what the teaching employment prospects are like there? Think getting a teaching job would take ages?

Hope to be spending a lot of time soaking up your wisdom in the months to come

Thanks in advance folks ~ Lou
Check out what you would need to do to qualify to teach in Calgary. Its not as simple as getting a visa and just applying.

Good luck

Mrs G

Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Check out what you would need to do to qualify to teach in Calgary. Its not as simple as getting a visa and just applying.

Good luck

Mrs G
Hey Mrs G - thanks for the prompt reply
I've looked into that already. My teaching qualifications here will enable me to apply for an Alberta credential. Just have to get the job offer in the bag first and then I can submit my application to have my credentials evaluated etc.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:11 pm
Glaswegian

Hey Mrs G - thanks for the prompt reply
I've looked into that already. My teaching qualifications here will enable me to apply for an Alberta credential. Just have to get the job offer in the bag first and then I can submit my application to have my credentials evaluated etc.
Are you absolutely certain about that? I thought you needed to take an exam to confirm your ability within a certain period of starting work.

Mrs G

Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Are you absolutely certain about that? I thought you needed to take an exam to confirm your ability within a certain period of starting work.

Mrs G
As far as I can tell, you apply and are awarded an Interim Certificate which is granted if your foreign credentials translate as equal to thos in canada. This is valid for three years. It's only after two years that you may be granted a permanent certificate after application with support from the district superintendent.

That's how I undertsand it so far anyhow, Mrs G. Might be wrong though.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:56 pm
Glaswegian

As far as I can tell, you apply and are awarded an Interim Certificate which is granted if your foreign credentials translate as equal to thos in canada. This is valid for three years. It's only after two years that you may be granted a permanent certificate after application with support from the district superintendent.

That's how I undertsand it so far anyhow, Mrs G. Might be wrong though.
Great - looks like you are on top of it. I'm unable to help with your original question - sorry.

Mrs G

Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:45 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like similar to the nursing scenario - can get interim permit prior to taking nursing exam, up to 3 attempts I think in 12 months - and they can offer employment on that basis but that is once the provincial nursing board has approved the applicant in terms of basic training etc.

Best of luck !

ps if you struggle to find work in Calgary, perhaps worth you trying Vancouver, due to higher rate of 'English as 2nd language or less' immigrants, as we saw plenty of jobs advertised teaching English when we were there two weeks back.
Rich.