Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new life for a young one

new life for a young one

Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:43 am
Just Joined

nathynath86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new life for a young one

Hi all,im a 25yr old carpenter and am thinking about moving to canada.I would really appreciate your advice on where is the best place to live that has a mixture of the outdoors but also a good social scene,places to find work as a carpenter and although im happy to have the cold and snow,maybe not all year round (maybe im asking for too much) haha.thanks
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Default new life for a young one

Hi all,im a 25yr old carpenter and im thinking of moving to canada.I would really appreciate your advice on where is the best place to live that has a mixture of the great canadian outdoors but also has a social scene aswell,work for a carpenter and even though i like the cold and snow,maybe not all year! haha.Also,and i know it depends on alot of factors but would it be daunting and a struggle moving out there on my own with say $14,000 to start with. Many thanks
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:18 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new life for a young one

Go for it better to regret something you have done than haven't?
For me Ottawa is a great city not to big and within 30 mins drive you can be on the slopes skiing or the lakes and forests of the Gatineau in Quebec
The weather is good snow in the winter a super hot summers,There is a lot of new build going so you should find work easy once you have your work pemit etc,and if your single there are so many fit women in the city that love the English accent
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:32 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it !
I did in 1969 and have never regretted a single day of it !
I had a suitcase and $183 when I landed but I did have a job waiting for me. With the capital that you have you should be fine as a single person.
Good luck !
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

its a big big country. Have you done a google search on what each province is like? Thats where we started and then focused our research on what areas appeared to tick the most boxes.

I have no input here on visa options btw, I will leave that to the experts
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

thanks for info Howefamily and i have looked and read into peoples views on places and it seems BC,calgary,ontario and a few others seem a good shout.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:50 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a piece of advice:

Don't tell yourself you're "emigrating to Canada". Tell yourself that you're young, single, after a bit of adventure, and are going to check Canada out for a year or two.

Don't either mentally cut the UK off or tie yourself to Canada - the world is a great big place, and there's lots of living to be had in many more different and exciting places than those two countries.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your help guys (especially the bit about the fit women umpalumpa) haha,but i keep reading from some people that carpentry jobs aren't that easy to get as the locals fill up the vacancies.Ottawa sounds like a bit of me,but what other places offer the same sort of options?
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

very true jings! I have always been drawn to canada and been in awe of the clean looking landscapes and the way of life,but i have only gone by the words of others.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged, please just ask your questions once - if you could read the Newcomers Guide to the Forum (link in my signature), it would be appreciated, thanks.

Not sure if as a carpenter you'll need your Red Seal, so that's something to look in to, and you'll need a plan for if you want to stay permanently (assuming you'll be going over on an IEC visa of course), but hopefully that shouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck with it.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

sorry about that but i submitted the first thread but couldn't see it on the thread page so i posted a new one and then i saw two of them,haha.
So your red seal is a construction permit then christmas? thanks
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathynath86
sorry about that but i submitted the first thread but couldn't see it on the thread page so i posted a new one and then i saw two of them,haha.
So your red seal is a construction permit then christmas? thanks
Red Seal is what some trades need to work in Canada, basically to prove you are qualified - not sure if carpenter is one of them though, so you'll need to look in to that. Have a quick look in the Wiki or search of the forum and hopefully you'll find the answer.

Old Jun 16th 2012, 5:49 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

yep carpenter is under the red seal

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=38
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi nathynath86, welcome to the forums.

I did the same thing when I was 27. I quit my job, sold my car and hopped over the pond for three and a half years. I remember talking to some friends about whether I should go or not. The response was, well if it does not work out just come back. Simples.
It was one of the best things I have ever done. It really opened my eyes, I changed as a person and the experience taught me a lot about people and life. Defo do it.

I did it in Calgary. As for the weather, I found it was a dry cold, so it does not get into your bones like it does here. I actually liked the winters. Nightlife was good, the rockies are down the road and summers are hot(so are the women).
As for work, there is lots of it. But its a case of who you know and not what you know. But as your in a trade, im guessing Alberta has its own standards (red seal as some have mentioned above). Have a look on wiki.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Here's a piece of advice:

Don't tell yourself you're "emigrating to Canada". Tell yourself that you're young, single, after a bit of adventure, and are going to check Canada out for a year or two.

Don't either mentally cut the UK off or tie yourself to Canada - the world is a great big place, and there's lots of living to be had in many more different and exciting places than those two countries.

Good luck!
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.