Reload this Page >

New to the forum - moving to moosomin

New to the forum - moving to moosomin

Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

jayNangie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the forum - moving to moosomin

Hi all,

Am new to the forum, Just wanted to introduce myself! Im angie and my husband is Julian, we have 3 year old girl called sophie.

My hubby has been offered a job in Moosomin SK so am doing all the research I can! He's flying out (all being well) in 2 weeks and my daughter and I are following at a later date.

If anyone is in the area or knows anything about it Id appreciate any feedback as theres very little online about the town other than its quite small!

Thanks
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the forum - moving to moosomin

Hello and welcome to BE!

How exciting and yet daunting, I know nothing about Moosomin but I did find a youtube video of a tour of the town, which might be of help.

Hopefully someone who has actually been there can answer any questions you might have.

You might find this website useful for working out how far the nearest larger towns and Cities are: http://canada.distancesonline.com/Regina/Moosomin

With this mapquest map, you can see where schools, stores are etc. http://mapq.st/11xISmZ?__domain=ca

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 1st 2013 at 9:36 pm. Reason: added a couple of links
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:46 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Angie...How exciting

Siouxie, is the best Googler there ever was....she will always find a link! I'd never heard of Moosomin either, wonderful name isnt it!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, I must admit, I read Moomin
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayNangie
Hi all,

Am new to the forum, Just wanted to introduce myself! Im angie and my husband is Julian, we have 3 year old girl called sophie.

My hubby has been offered a job in Moosomin SK so am doing all the research I can! He's flying out (all being well) in 2 weeks and my daughter and I are following at a later date.

If anyone is in the area or knows anything about it Id appreciate any feedback as theres very little online about the town other than its quite small!

Thanks
Never been and never heard of it, but Google Street View has and it will give you an idea of what the place looks like and will help you in looking for a place to live in terms of the neighbourhood in general once you have an address.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Since the Trans Canada highway became twinned from the Manitoba border westwards it now diverts you from going through Mossomin itself.
Its small and a Prairie town. Basically you are half way between Winnipeg and Regina. You will actually love the winters there minus 30C temps, blowing snow with drifts. Id be looking at getting a 4 x 4 if I lived there. Actually Id be looking at getting a lobotomy to even consider moving there.
Each to their own though some prefer small towns to bigger cities.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Since the Trans Canada highway became twinned from the Manitoba border westwards it now diverts you from going through Mossomin itself.
Its small and a Prairie town. Basically you are half way between Winnipeg and Regina. You will actually love the winters there minus 30C temps, blowing snow with drifts. Id be looking at getting a 4 x 4 if I lived there. Actually Id be looking at getting a lobotomy to even consider moving there.
Each to their own though some prefer small towns to bigger cities.

I looked it up, 2,300 or so residents, I think its more of a micro town then small town...lol
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Moosomin SK , 2 1/2 hrs East of Regina , 1 1/2 hrs West of Brandon. Not much there I'm afraid apart from rig pigs . Suggest you visit first and see for yourself before moving there , and as a previous poster mentioned just imagine it mid winter at minus 30 for a couple of months .
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people from Moosomin, it's not that small! Hunting and fishing opportunities are great, and as noted it's about halfway to Winnipeg so the big city is readily accessed. I've stopped at the Red Barn roadhouse on the highway there for lunch and it's pretty good.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

The " big city " is 3 1/2 hours drive , if that's what you class as readily accessible .

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 4th 2013 at 8:10 am. Reason: Rule 1. No name calling!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 1:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
The " big city " is 3 1/2 hours drive , if that's what you class as readily accessible .
And it's a 'two-fer' because you've got both Regina and Winnipeg to choose from!
:-)

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 4th 2013 at 1:35 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayNangie
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi, I've been to Moosomin (and the Red Barn). It's ok, as far as I am considered...but then, I don't care much for cities . It probably will see a lil "boom" in the future, as I just heard it will be the place where crude oil will be transferred from MB and SK, once the Trans Canada Pipeline is up and running (hence I am glad to live up further North of it). Think it has already been growing over the last years (has been a few since I was there), since all the fuss about the oil started
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Purley1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a small town on the Trans Canada highway. You will probably find the people very friendly and non-judgmental and helpful. I prefer living in a bigger city but Lorna D - who posts on here lives at Regina Beach and it's very small and I know she loves it there.

I will send you a pm when I can.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god! Its very small town and before they diverted the trans-canada hwy you used to drive thru the "town" but it is getting bigger they have a new gas station -truckstop and a tim hortons coffee shop ,if u got a timmies you are moving on up!