British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   New to the forum - moving to moosomin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/new-forum-moving-moosomin-804813/)

jayNangie Aug 1st 2013 7:35 pm

New to the forum - moving to moosomin

Hi all,

Am new to the forum, Just wanted to introduce myself! Im angie and my husband is Julian, we have 3 year old girl called sophie.

My hubby has been offered a job in Moosomin SK so am doing all the research I can! He's flying out (all being well) in 2 weeks and my daughter and I are following at a later date.

If anyone is in the area or knows anything about it Id appreciate any feedback as theres very little online about the town other than its quite small!

Thanks

Siouxie Aug 1st 2013 7:41 pm

Re: New to the forum - moving to moosomin

Hello and welcome to BE! :welcome:

How exciting and yet daunting, I know nothing about Moosomin but I did find a youtube video of a tour of the town, which might be of help.

Hopefully someone who has actually been there can answer any questions you might have.

:)

You might find this website useful for working out how far the nearest larger towns and Cities are: http://canada.distancesonline.com/Regina/Moosomin

With this mapquest map, you can see where schools, stores are etc. http://mapq.st/11xISmZ?__domain=ca

MillieF Aug 1st 2013 8:46 pm

Welcome Angie...How exciting:thumbsup:

Siouxie, is the best Googler there ever was....she will always find a link! I'd never heard of Moosomin either, wonderful name isnt it!

Piff Poff Aug 2nd 2013 1:07 am

Welcome, I must admit, I read Moomin :)

Partially discharged Aug 2nd 2013 1:55 am

Originally Posted by jayNangie (Post 10830711)
Hi all,

Am new to the forum, Just wanted to introduce myself! Im angie and my husband is Julian, we have 3 year old girl called sophie.

My hubby has been offered a job in Moosomin SK so am doing all the research I can! He's flying out (all being well) in 2 weeks and my daughter and I are following at a later date.

If anyone is in the area or knows anything about it Id appreciate any feedback as theres very little online about the town other than its quite small!

Thanks

Never been and never heard of it, but Google Street View has and it will give you an idea of what the place looks like and will help you in looking for a place to live in terms of the neighbourhood in general once you have an address.

Former Lancastrian Aug 2nd 2013 6:23 am

Since the Trans Canada highway became twinned from the Manitoba border westwards it now diverts you from going through Mossomin itself.
Its small and a Prairie town. Basically you are half way between Winnipeg and Regina. You will actually love the winters there minus 30C temps, blowing snow with drifts. Id be looking at getting a 4 x 4 if I lived there. Actually Id be looking at getting a lobotomy to even consider moving there.
Each to their own though some prefer small towns to bigger cities.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 2nd 2013 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10831362)
Since the Trans Canada highway became twinned from the Manitoba border westwards it now diverts you from going through Mossomin itself.
Its small and a Prairie town. Basically you are half way between Winnipeg and Regina. You will actually love the winters there minus 30C temps, blowing snow with drifts. Id be looking at getting a 4 x 4 if I lived there. Actually Id be looking at getting a lobotomy to even consider moving there.
Each to their own though some prefer small towns to bigger cities.

I looked it up, 2,300 or so residents, I think its more of a micro town then small town...lol

flat to the mat Aug 3rd 2013 9:11 pm

Moosomin SK , 2 1/2 hrs East of Regina , 1 1/2 hrs West of Brandon. Not much there I'm afraid apart from rig pigs . Suggest you visit first and see for yourself before moving there , and as a previous poster mentioned just imagine it mid winter at minus 30 for a couple of months .

caretaker Aug 3rd 2013 9:36 pm

I know some people from Moosomin, it's not that small! Hunting and fishing opportunities are great, and as noted it's about halfway to Winnipeg so the big city is readily accessed. I've stopped at the Red Barn roadhouse on the highway there for lunch and it's pretty good.

flat to the mat Aug 4th 2013 1:48 am

The " big city " is 3 1/2 hours drive , if that's what you class as readily accessible .

caretaker Aug 4th 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10833977)
The " big city " is 3 1/2 hours drive , if that's what you class as readily accessible .

And it's a 'two-fer' because you've got both Regina and Winnipeg to choose from!
:-)

manitobain Aug 4th 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jayNangie (Post 10830711)
Hi all,

Thanks

Hi, I've been to Moosomin (and the Red Barn). It's ok, as far as I am considered...but then, I don't care much for cities ;) . It probably will see a lil "boom" in the future, as I just heard it will be the place where crude oil will be transferred from MB and SK, once the Trans Canada Pipeline is up and running (hence I am glad to live up further North of it). Think it has already been growing over the last years (has been a few since I was there), since all the fuss about the oil started

Purley1 Aug 7th 2013 2:18 pm

It's a small town on the Trans Canada highway. You will probably find the people very friendly and non-judgmental and helpful. I prefer living in a bigger city but Lorna D - who posts on here lives at Regina Beach and it's very small and I know she loves it there.

I will send you a pm when I can.

neilcumming Aug 7th 2013 5:55 pm

Oh my god! Its very small town and before they diverted the trans-canada hwy you used to drive thru the "town" but it is getting bigger they have a new gas station -truckstop and a tim hortons coffee shop ,if u got a timmies you are moving on up!