Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to forum have PR cards, info on Halifax please?

New to forum have PR cards, info on Halifax please?

Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

UKFAMTOCAN2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to forum have PR cards, info on Halifax please?

We are a family in the south west of the UK, have our PR cards in hand. Reccie trips done to BC, NB, NS and have settled on a sub-division of Halifax.

Would love to connect up with any ex-pats in Halifax to discuss all matters of moving to and living in Halifax.

Planning to move in 2013/2014 (latest).

Thanks

Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

canadianbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to forum have PR cards, where now?

Congrats,
I am moving close by (well only a 3.5 hr drive) back to Prince Edward Island in 2.5 wks, Eastern Canada is cheap as chips property wise but can be expensive in terms of the cost of living (food) but leisure activities seem to be much cheaper. Halifax has it all really, international airport, good schools, uni, colleges close to skiing, beaches etc. Good choice I say !! Eastern Canada can be a little conservative (they think I am eccentric as hell) but its very arts and crafty and has lots of cultural stuff to indulge in. If you need more info let me know.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for replying.

Not sure I agree on food prices. We did a stock check on around 100 products in 4-5 different supermarkets in Vancouver, Fredericton, Moncton and then Halifax. The west of Canada makes the east look cheap, trust me it is almost insane how much food costs in B.C.

We are looking for a conservative and laidback life, hence the choice. We disregarded PEI as apparently it is dead off-season and work is tourism based mostly.

Amazing that a bridge connects PEi to mainland (be it with $20 fee to cross).

It is meant to be very beautiful though.

For me job is probably the biggest concern. I work in I.T. which apparently is growing in the east.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

First and last time I crossed over at the bridge cost me $40 plus. Was a shock as I thought at least half of that and seeing as they don't grab you until leaving the island you have no choice but pay
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:50 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKFAMTOCAN2013
Thank you so much for replying.

Not sure I agree on food prices. We did a stock check on around 100 products in 4-5 different supermarkets in Vancouver, Fredericton, Moncton and then Halifax. The west of Canada makes the east look cheap, trust me it is almost insane how much food costs in B.C.

We are looking for a conservative and laidback life, hence the choice. We disregarded PEI as apparently it is dead off-season and work is tourism based mostly.

Amazing that a bridge connects PEi to mainland (be it with $20 fee to cross).

It is meant to be very beautiful though.

For me job is probably the biggest concern. I work in I.T. which apparently is growing in the east.
Really? After living in ns for nearly 4 years and visiting vancouver last year I found everything there to be far far cheaper than here food and drink wise NS is not a cheap place to live, highest taxes in the country as a starting point.

There are a ton of expats in and around Halifax, if you are on Facebook check out our group page BE's of nova scotia

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Dec 30th 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

canadianbird is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Montreal and visited BC for a spell, and it is defo much cheaper for fruit and veg, but that was a while back, maybe things have changed. I have many friends all in IT in the Maritimes and so I think you are right it is a growing work sector. Yes PEI is very touristy but very beautiful parts of it remind me of Jersey and Cornwall. Work tends to be very tourist based, my family is there so hence PEI..plus the fact I want a few acres and a farmhouse for dirt cheap !
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...&city2=Halifax
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:04 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, though not what I saw, one example, bottle of wine I buy here in ns, the exact same in Vancouver was 3 bucks cheaper, also fresh fruit and veg at Granville market was a lot cheaper.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

All I can base it on myself is prices I took pictures of when I was in Vancouver (Mar 2011) and Halifax, Moncton and Fredericton (May 2012).

Could Vancouver changed so much?

Not sure about the taxes apart from Alberta being low due to the oil and gas industry I think?

The only statistic that bothers me about Halifax is the crime rate for homocides. It was the highest in Canada for 2011 at 22.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The only statistic that bothers me about Halifax is the crime rate for homocides. It was the highest in Canada for 2011 at 22.
Canada's got a higher murder per capita rate than the UK, so if crime stats worry you that much, you may as well stay put! I really wouldn't worry about crime in or near Halifax, or let it be an issue.

Loads of people on here who are living near Halifax, so I'm sure they'll be able to give you some good advice. I'll move the thread in to the main Canada forum where more people will see it (the immi section of the forum is for visa related queries), and also change the thread title for you, hopefully that way those in the Halifax area will see it and respond.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Interesting, though not what I saw, one example, bottle of wine I buy here in ns, the exact same in Vancouver was 3 bucks cheaper, also fresh fruit and veg at Granville market was a lot cheaper.
Very interesting site. Beer seemed cheap in Halifax and Fredericton when I went out or bought it. But I was told many tales of how expensive spirits are in general.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Canada's got a higher murder per capita rate than the UK, so if crime stats worry you that much, you may as well stay put! I really wouldn't worry about crime in or near Halifax, or let it be an issue.

Loads of people on here who are living near Halifax, so I'm sure they'll be able to give you some good advice. I'll move the thread in to the main Canada forum where more people will see it (the immi section of the forum is for visa related queries), and also change the thread title for you, hopefully that way those in the Halifax area will see it and respond.

Best of luck.
I thought I could have been putting it in the wrong place but was not sure. The stats don't worry me too much, I was walking around Halifax at 10pm feeling very safe. We don't intend to live in the heart of Halifax, but we fell in love with it when we visited. The people, pace of life and the links to Ireland, England and Scotland.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:02 pm

All I can base it on myself is prices I took pictures of when I was in Vancouver (Mar 2011) and Halifax, Moncton and Fredericton (May 2012).

Could Vancouver changed so much?

Not sure about the taxes apart from Alberta being low due to the oil and gas industry I think?

Thoughts anyone?
I still feel a lot safer here than the uk, despite the stats, vast majority of deaths are gang related, there are a couple of areas to steer clear of, but that is the same the world over.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by canadianbird
I have lived in Montreal and visited BC for a spell, and it is defo much cheaper for fruit and veg, but that was a while back, maybe things have changed. I have many friends all in IT in the Maritimes and so I think you are right it is a growing work sector. Yes PEI is very touristy but very beautiful parts of it remind me of Jersey and Cornwall. Work tends to be very tourist based, my family is there so hence PEI..plus the fact I want a few acres and a farmhouse for dirt cheap !

Thats good to hear. On the plus side all my qualifications are North American. I know Keane are in Halifax who are a big I.T. employer. Any others I should be aware of?

Thanks for any contacts.