Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new 'experience' to cross!

new 'experience' to cross!

Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default new 'experience' to cross!

Hi all. Not really sure why im posting this on here other than to say that we have reached a milestone in first's.

At the begining of this week we heard that a friend in the UK who had been ill (cancer, so was expected at some point ) had sadly passed away monday after a very short illness.
We will of course not be able to attend his funeral and that makes me feel terrible. We have already booked to go back in January and we have our daughter coming out here monday so a trip back is just not possible.
Feeling very 'strange' about it all but we both said that it goes to show that you need to live for today.

Heres to absent friends and family past and present
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new 'experience' to cross!

"The bitter sweet symphony of life."

Really sorry for your loss.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news, jempee. That has happened to us a few times too, and we found it sad. Here's a virtual hug for you.

{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jempee
Hi all. Not really sure why im posting this on here other than to say that we have reached a milestone in first's.

At the begining of this week we heard that a friend in the UK who had been ill (cancer, so was expected at some point ) had sadly passed away monday after a very short illness.
We will of course not be able to attend his funeral and that makes me feel terrible. We have already booked to go back in January and we have our daughter coming out here monday so a trip back is just not possible.
Feeling very 'strange' about it all but we both said that it goes to show that you need to live for today.

Hi Lisa. sorry to hear about your friend.Bet that was a tough one.
Hope all is well with you guys. Hope you daughter has a good trip.
christine.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Very sorry indeed to hear the sad news about your friend, I'm sure your friend's family will understand that you can't attend the funeral and they will also know that you will be thinking about them.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

bazza2154 will become famous soon enoughbazza2154 will become famous soon enough

Hi I know that this does not help you at the moment but the information may help others in the future. Air Canada offer discount fares for bereaved families. I do not know what kind of discounts that they offer I just saw it on the Web.

Its a tough enough decision making such a big move an unfortunately most of us that move will face this dilemma at some point.

Best of luck and enjoy your daughters visit
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bazza2154
Hi I know that this does not help you at the moment but the information may help others in the future. Air Canada offer discount fares for bereaved families. I do not know what kind of discounts that they offer I just saw it on the Web.

Its a tough enough decision making such a big move an unfortunately most of us that move will face this dilemma at some point.

Best of luck and enjoy your daughters visit
thanks everyone and christine x

It just seemed a little weird that if we was in the UK we would have not thought twice about booking day of for funeral and seeing if we could help in anyway so felt a bit 'strange' about it all. But flowers and card already arranged to go to the cremetorium and have spoken to a friend who is going and will let them know we are thinking of them.

with regards to air canada and other airlines offering discounted fares we did know about this. i believe you can claim some of your money back if you can provide a death certificate. If it had been a close family member we would not have hesitated in phoning air canada to see if we could have changed our booking to dec instead of jan.

Now to look forward to daughters visit and my first scary ride to Vancouver airport! Am going with friend as her mum is coming over with my daughter.....may just take the coach.....to nervous to make up my mind.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone and christine x

It just seemed a little weird that if we was in the UK we would have not thought twice about booking day of for funeral and seeing if we could help in anyway so felt a bit 'strange' about it all. But flowers and card already arranged to go to the cremetorium and have spoken to a friend who is going and will let them know we are thinking of them.

with regards to air canada and other airlines offering discounted fares we did know about this. i believe you can claim some of your money back if you can provide a death certificate. If it had been a close family member we would not have hesitated in phoning air canada to see if we could have changed our booking to dec instead of jan.

Now to look forward to daughters visit and my first scary ride to Vancouver airport! Am going with friend as her mum is coming over with my daughter.....may just take the coach.....to nervous to make up my mind.
Air Canada, and indeed most major airlines, will give you discounted tickets in such circumstances. It has to be a close relative though. When my dad died three years ago AC were more than happy to provide discounted tickets. They did say in advance that they'd need to see a copy of the death certificate when we checked in but in the end they never bothered asking for it. DND picked up most of the rest of the bill.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada told me (Feb) it wasn't worth getting a bereavement fare as it'd be more than their web fare. Sure enough, it was 800 CAD more per ticket x 3. We didn't bother. Perhaps it gets complicated with 3 legs/codeshares? Dunno. Wasn't worth it for us, never mind getting the death certificate faxed from UK to them.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Air Canada, and indeed most major airlines, will give you discounted tickets in such circumstances. It has to be a close relative though. When my dad died three years ago AC were more than happy to provide discounted tickets. They did say in advance that they'd need to see a copy of the death certificate when we checked in but in the end they never bothered asking for it. DND picked up most of the rest of the bill.