New Brunswick

Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick

Originally Posted by No1_mom
some pics, and this was at the start of winter. we were just around the corner from the snow trucks and they came along frequently but this meant the snow at the end of the driveway was compacted and solid - it took ages to dig out.

Our neighbours had told us you won't need a snowblower - what fibs, we did dig out 2 or more times a day. Hubbie worked night shift and had to dig it out to get back in as you were not allowed to park on the roads, The driveway as you can see is a double plus - by the time of mid winter it was single and the snow was higher than our grand caravan. we couldn't throw it any higher.

re the price of goods the problem is that wages in NB are so low, yet you pay the same price for eveything if not more. There is little competition so stores can charge what they want. They keep telling you it is the cost of shipping in the goods - as far as i hear it is even worse in NL, The one thing I do miss is the cheese rolls out of Sobeys on Mountain Road both burger and hot do. yummy
Just wanted to point out as we came in the same year as you (May 2007) that the winter of 2007/2008 was one of the worst for many years according to all our local friends and the following one not too much better. Last year however was much better, so really its hard to judge NB winters on having experienced just a couple.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:04 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Just wanted to point out as we came in the same year as you (May 2007) that the winter of 2007/2008 was one of the worst for many years according to all our local friends and the following one not too much better. Last year however was much better, so really its hard to judge NB winters on having experienced just a couple.
^^^ What she said.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:04 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It does look snowy but surely London Ont is about the same, I had loads more snow than that when living north of Orangeville.
^^^ What he said.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:16 am
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I think most of Canada has their bad days re snow. I have had one bad day in London (Dec 08) where schools were canceled, but other than that it has been heavy snow falls but cleared up quickly. I drove from London to Moncton n Dec 08 via the states and the weather was dreadful - you could not see in front of you and had to follow the trucks to know where the road was.

I'll be honest if we had found good jobs in NB we would not have left. We aren't over keen on family coming over anyway so flights didn't both us and we have no plans on going back to visit. I think the job situation is the biggest problem. I think anyone thinking of going to that side of Canada should really look at Halifax. Being larger there is much more choice and also less French. House prices though are slightly higher. We like driving rather than flying - we find flights in Canada very expensive and would drive to Boston to fly and in London we go to Detroit. We just drove down to Forida in a day and it was wonderful, we have done the route 66 tour and are looking forward to driving in other areas. And yes before anyone asks we also hope to tour more of Canada but we love the states and that is one of the benefits of both NB and southern ontario - the ease of travel.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:39 am
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is this like a pasty or bread roll sort of thing?
It is just the normal pack of 8 rolls or hot dog rolls covered in cheese - so much cheese, yummy. Although I can find similar cheese rolls here I can't get the hotdog ones even in Sobey's London And here they are so much more expensive.

I also miss the chicken bakes in Costco, although we had enourage them to do this as the Glasgow Costco made them. I am disappointed with the Costco catering in Canada it is so limited. In Glasgow we had everything they do here - pizza, hotdogs, ice cream etc, plus chicken bakes, baked potatos, hot pies, salads, muffins, scones and cakes and even more importantly coffee.tea and capachino. I really miss my coffee and muffin. We also could pay cash or debit card - here it is only cash (or Costco cash card), they don't accept debit cards claiming health and safety - give me a break. Moncton at least had a coffee machine but neither of the London branches do this.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It is just the normal pack of 8 rolls or hot dog rolls covered in cheese - so much cheese, yummy.
Ah, now I know what you mean. My wife loves the herb and cheese bagels...toasted with melted cheese sometimes.

Funny how they do "grilled" cheese in the frying pan in Canada.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:34 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Moncton, NB in April 2007 - big mistake.

To get REAL job in NB you have to speak French. My hubbie ended up in a call centre working nights which actually was reasonably well paid as it was with Rogers, others are not, paying minimum wage around $10 - 11 per hour. I won't tell you how many employers turned their back on us when they found we could not speak French

Please don't assume from this post that you have to speak French. Moncton is a very french city, I think if you had moved to Fredericton or Saint John you would have a different experience.

The answer to winter is to embrace it, take the opportunity to learn cross country skiing / snow shoeing. Ice skating on free out door rinks in the towns (certainly around Fredericton). That way you have a great winter experience.
I certainly dont speak french and I landed a well paid job within 10 days of landing (but I did lots of research and preparation).

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Nov 27th 2010 at 3:36 pm. Reason: added winter advice
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:39 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Same experience here in Fredericton, our first winter (2005/2006) was mild with snow disappearing in late January. The next was slightly more snowy but nothing really intimidating and I shovelled through both winters.... then 2007/2008 I shovelled and had snow banks 6 foot on each side of the drive .... I purchased a snowblower for the next year infact I used it today for the first time this season
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:11 am
Happy in NB

Pub Night meet up in Fredericton - 4th Dec 8pm Lunar Rogue pub . Listen for the accents to find us
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Please don't assume from this post that you have to speak French. Moncton is a very french city, I think if you had moved to Fredericton or Saint John you would have a different experience.
I'm a bit mystified at that. There are certainly some jobs in Moncton that you might need French for, but the city itself is a long way from being French.

The big shopping Mall is technically in Dieppe (which sees itself as 'French') but you wouldn't think it was French from walking around it. I don't speak French and it seems like any other English place to me.

The hospitals, supermarkets and government offices have bilingual signage but that's about the only real thing that suggests Moncton isn't wholly English.

The City of Moncton has just refused to pass a law requiring businesses to have French on their signs.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:13 am
Happy in NB

I'm a bit mystified at that. There are certainly some jobs in Moncton that you might need French for, but the city itself is a long way from being French.

The big shopping Mall is technically in Dieppe (which sees itself as 'French') but you wouldn't think it was French from walking around it. I don't speak French and it seems like any other English place to me.

The hospitals, supermarkets and government offices have bilingual signage but that's about the only real thing that suggests Moncton isn't wholly English.

The City of Moncton has just refused to pass a law requiring businesses to have French on their signs.
I'm glad the drive to make the signs for business bilingual has failed.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:14 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Walk around Dieppe Mall and then walk around Fredericton Mall and the difference is obvious. A much greater occurrence of Acadian French than ever heard in Fredericton.

You can usually tell by the way the person doesn't say thank you when you hold the door open for them or are in any other way rude. It's a running joke with my wife, they are 99% always Acadian.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:11 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Tangram
Walk around Dieppe Mall and then walk around Fredericton Mall and the difference is obvious. A much greater occurrence of Acadian French than ever heard in Fredericton.
Yes, I'm sure.

But hearing French spoken a bit more doesn't make Moncton a very French City.

Something like 65% of the population of Greater Moncton is Englsh (75% in Fredericton?), with the 35% Acadians concentrated in Dieppe - meaning that you'll likely hear more French spoken in Dieppe than Moncton.

I note the multi-screen Cinema complex in Dieppe is currently showing 8 movies - just one of which is French.

Greater Moncton has something like 7 English radio stations to 2 French and I'm sure I read the readership of the English papers is way in excess of the french one.

You can usually tell by the way the person doesn't say thank you when you hold the door open for them or are in any other way rude. It's a running joke with my wife, they are 99% always Acadian.
I can't say I've particularly noticed any rudeness. But then if someone doesn't say thank you or merci, how can you tell?

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 28th 2010 at 1:19 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Yes, I'm sure.

But hearing French spoken a bit more doesn't make Moncton a very French City.

Something like 65% of the population of Greater Moncton is Englsh (75% in Fredericton?), with the 35% Acadians concentrated in Dieppe - meaning that you'll likely hear more French spoken in Dieppe than Moncton.

I note the multi-screen Cinema complex in Dieppe is currently showing 8 movies - just one of which is French.

Greater Moncton has something like 7 English radio stations to 2 French and I'm sure I read the readership of the English papers is way in excess of the french one.

I can't say I've particularly noticed any rudeness. But then if someone doesn't say thank you or merci, how can you tell?
I agree, there are degrees of Frenchiness. But you were the one using Dieppe Mall as your example of how English it felt and I still disagree with that analogy of not knowing you are in a quite Acadian Mall and thinking you are in England somehow.

But, one can hear them talk, smart arse - that is how you can tell who the rude ones are.

Last edited by Tangram; Nov 28th 2010 at 1:26 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

I agree, there are degrees of Frenchiness. But you were the one using Dieppe Mall as your example of how English it felt and I still disagree with that analogy of not knowing you are in a quite Acadian Mall and thinking you are in England somehow.

Uh...what I actually said was
I said nothing about thinking I was in England. This discussion was about how "French" Moncton is. I was giving the point some context. Given that this mall is actually in Dieppe where most of the one-third of the French live I was commenting on it not really feeling so different to the "English" places like the other Malls, or Downtown or the other cinema complex.

But, one can hear them talk, smart arse - that is how you can tell who the rude ones are.
Jeez, now I'm a smart arse after being called a twat by you a few weeks ago. What is your problem?

My attempt at humour was obviously a waste of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.