Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new to the board - hi!

new to the board - hi!

Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to the board - hi!

Originally Posted by Cam-mac
Hi Gina, we have heard good reports about london Ontario, Edmonton, winnipeg but we cannot decide for definate until we visit Canada in July.I would prefer to choose a location and then apply for Jobs (this side of the pond) rather than the other way around as need a good neighbourhood/schools for the children. As i am a nurse , i will perhaps use an agency to find work. Where do you intend to live? Any recommendations?

Hi again, we really have to base ourselves in Toronto as that looks like the most likely place that my husband will get work. Everyone seems to be raving about London. At least in your profession you are not limited to a certain area. I have travelled a lot around British Columbia and Alberta, both beautiful places but from what I have heard quite pricey, unfortunately Toronto does not seem as idyllic but we have to be practical. Good luck and keep in touch if you wish (click on my username to send a private message or email).
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

vicky n jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Vicky n Jim

What did you think about the place
I have never heard anyhting negative about London Ontario

Did you have any bad experiences etc when you went out last year

Eddie
We actually visited twice last year and really couldnt find anything we disliked about the place. Everyone was really friendly , we got loads of advice re areas to live from just talking to the locals whilst in shops and restaurants. Whilst looking at new build houses we were actually driven around sites by the director of the company building the houses. We are going back out in May to sort out a house and then a school for our young un.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Smile Re: new to the board - hi!

Originally Posted by vicky n jim
We actually visited twice last year and really couldnt find anything we disliked about the place. Everyone was really friendly , we got loads of advice re areas to live from just talking to the locals whilst in shops and restaurants. Whilst looking at new build houses we were actually driven around sites by the director of the company building the houses. We are going back out in May to sort out a house and then a school for our young un.
Hi Vicky n Jim

We are looking at a visit to London in September - can you recommend anywhere to stay accommodation wise? I have visited the londontourism website but recommendations are always preferable.

Many Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Hi Vicky n Jim

We are looking at a visit to London in September - can you recommend anywhere to stay accommodation wise? I have visited the londontourism website but recommendations are always preferable.

Many Thanks
We always stay at the Delta Royal Armouries its right in the centre of town on Dundas St , the only other hotel in the centre appears to be the Hilton . Other hotels which may be slightly cheaper are all located to the South of the city just off the highway too far out of town for us. The royal armouries do good family packages with parking and breakfast included. You will find a virtual tour link on the tourism website. We should hopefully be out there and setteled by September would be great to meet up .
Vicky
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ginaf
Thanks Karenr, I do realise that perhaps we were a bit naive on the waiting times we did say either 2006 or 2007, the latter meaning we could save a bit more money so I guess I should look on the positive side . I did say if we had to wait 2 years I would like another baby before we go, but now I find out I can't take the medical if I am pregnant delaying things even further - that is the most upsetting thing!
Hi Gina, please don't delay extending your family while CHC make up their minds about your future. We applied Nov 03 got our aor Jan '04 and recieved medical requests Feb '05, I am 5 months pregnant at the moment so we can't have our medcals until after the baby is born in August. I feel like we need the extra time at the moment so i'm not in such a hurry, but if you're going through hubby's work then you wouldn'd need a medical until you apply for PR anyway. As hard as it is don't put your life on hold while they decide your fate. What will be will be.
And by the way i'm an Essex girl too, Hornchurch, do you know it? What is it about Essex that we all want to leave?
Hth Jo xx
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joelsa
Hi Gina, please don't delay extending your family while CHC make up their minds about your future. We applied Nov 03 got our aor Jan '04 and recieved medical requests Feb '05, I am 5 months pregnant at the moment so we can't have our medcals until after the baby is born in August. I feel like we need the extra time at the moment so i'm not in such a hurry, but if you're going through hubby's work then you wouldn'd need a medical until you apply for PR anyway. As hard as it is don't put your life on hold while they decide your fate. What will be will be.
And by the way i'm an Essex girl too, Hornchurch, do you know it? What is it about Essex that we all want to leave?
Hth Jo xx
hi Joelsa

I dont think there is anything really wrong with Essex as such I think its more the fact that this area is a very expensive area to live house price wise and everyone likes to live here as its close to london etc hence over population and never ending building of homes on every spare scrap of land available. We want to emigrate not to escape Essex as such but the UK as a whole and everything that is going 'wrong' in our eyes. We are in Halstead, I have rellys in Hornchurch! Where are you planning on settling and what type of jobs do you do?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

hi Joelsa

I dont think there is anything really wrong with Essex as such I think its more the fact that this area is a very expensive area to live house price wise and everyone likes to live here as its close to london etc hence over population and never ending building of homes on every spare scrap of land available. We want to emigrate not to escape Essex as such but the UK as a whole and everything that is going 'wrong' in our eyes. We are in Halstead, I have rellys in Hornchurch! Where are you planning on settling and what type of jobs do you do?

I know there isn't any really wrong with Essex, I mean't it to be tounge in cheek, there just seemed to be a glut of Essex girls on here.I agree with you that it's the whole country that we're dissillusioned with at the moment. We looked at Halstead as plan B if the Canadian thing didn't come off, we love that part of Essex and the surrounding areas and have quite a lot of family over that way, but again for us to move out somewhere nice we are going to have to double our mortgage which we don't really want to do. I am a stay at home mum to 2 young children and another on the way, so I don't want to be forced back to work at the moment(I'm a hairdresser in my former life) and Gary works for BT. His wage supports us at the moment, we just hope that they can in Canada. Hopefully we won't have a mortgage there, we have enough equity in our house.
We are looking to go to Calgary next easter for a final reccy trip, we've already been to Ontario, but want to make sure on where we intend to settle.
where do you think you'll be settling?
Jo xx
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: new to the board - hi!

I know there isn't any really wrong with Essex, I mean't it to be tounge in cheek, there just seemed to be a glut of Essex girls on here.I agree with you that it's the whole country that we're dissillusioned with at the moment. We looked at Halstead as plan B if the Canadian thing didn't come off, we love that part of Essex and the surrounding areas and have quite a lot of family over that way, but again for us to move out somewhere nice we are going to have to double our mortgage which we don't really want to do. I am a stay at home mum to 2 young children and another on the way, so I don't want to be forced back to work at the moment(I'm a hairdresser in my former life) and Gary works for BT. His wage supports us at the moment, we just hope that they can in Canada. Hopefully we won't have a mortgage there, we have enough equity in our house.
We are looking to go to Calgary next easter for a final reccy trip, we've already been to Ontario, but want to make sure on where we intend to settle.
where do you think you'll be settling?
Jo xx
Hi Jo

I have 3 kids also and me and my husband work full time one on days and one on nights. We have to share childcare between us as no supportive or able grandparents as so many people seem to have these days.

We were lucky to get on property ladder 4 years ago after renting for so long and now we can also go to Canada mortgage free. We are sick and tired of burning the candle at both ends to support what in todays society is a relatively low mortgage and having no free time to really enjoy the kids. Lets just say we couldnt afford to buy our house now!! We are going to Ontario hopefully London area and hopefully next year!!

I thought Hornchurch would be more expensive to live than here as its closer to London etc?

When did you apply?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jo

I have 3 kids also and me and my husband work full time one on days and one on nights. We have to share childcare between us as no supportive or able grandparents as so many people seem to have these days.

We were lucky to get on property ladder 4 years ago after renting for so long and now we can also go to Canada mortgage free. We are sick and tired of burning the candle at both ends to support what in todays society is a relatively low mortgage and having no free time to really enjoy the kids. Lets just say we couldnt afford to buy our house now!! We are going to Ontario hopefully London area and hopefully next year!!

I thought Hornchurch would be more expensive to live than here as its closer to London etc?

When did you apply?
I have pm'd you
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hth Jo xx
Thanks Joelsa, congratulations and good luck. I'm in Cambridge but I think it is just the state of the country in general that makes people want to leave, especially when you have little children with very long futures ahead of them.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vicky n jim
We always stay at the Delta Royal Armouries its right in the centre of town on Dundas St , the only other hotel in the centre appears to be the Hilton . Other hotels which may be slightly cheaper are all located to the South of the city just off the highway too far out of town for us. The royal armouries do good family packages with parking and breakfast included. You will find a virtual tour link on the tourism website. We should hopefully be out there and setteled by September would be great to meet up .
Vicky
Hi again

How do you get to London? Do you have to fly from UK to Toronto then catch a connecting flight to London International. Can this all be organised from UK?

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

How do you get to London? Do you have to fly from UK to Toronto then catch a connecting flight to London International. Can this all be organised from UK?

Thanks
I suppose you could do that but London Ont. is only two hours from YYZ by road, surely you'd drive or catch a bus.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

nivlass will become famous soon enoughnivlass will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

that has been really interesting. I have read everyone's replies and there is something in each one to give me more of an idea on schools in Ontario.

Though I grew up and received all my education in Ontario, it is a totally different thing now I'm a Mum and looking for schools for my daughter.

We are returning this summer (once the house is sold or rented out) and hope to find a school for September. Usually schools go back after the labour day holiday which is always the first Monday of September.

I'm surprised schools in BC get out at 2.30. It sure felt longer when I was attending school. Perhaps different province by province as all are governed by province and by the district school board.

If you want to check out the school board website for Toronto it is
http://www.tdsb.on.ca . I contacted one of the school boards (upper grand) by email and they were extremely helpful. Answers came back within a couple of days.

good luck
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

darfayg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, We are in a simillar situation. We are about to begin process, looking at maybe, Barrie or Kingston. Is anyone else heading there, or has anyone visited? We would welcome any info. Thanks.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Hi again

Thanks
Hi ,
We usually hire a car at Toronto Airport, it takes approx 2 hrs . Once you are out of the Toronto area the roads are no problem. I know that the Go train runs from Toronto into London , there are also connecting flights with a couple of airlines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.