Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A New BC Driving Test Experience

A New BC Driving Test Experience

Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

EVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant future
Default A New BC Driving Test Experience

Hello all.
Thought I would share my experience, I had my road test today. We arrived at the test centre nice and early to find it in darkness! There had been a power outage at 8.30am but the good news was they were still doing road tests!! I had to drive to get some cash - due to the pin card thingies not working. Once I was called I had to sit in the drivers seat and demonstrate turning the lights,fog lights,indicators wipers etc and show the relevant hand signals (luckily thanks to b.e and your past threads I had swatted up on them) I must have driven past 4 schools so never seemed to reach over 30kmph.! At one point the examiner told me to speed up (I was doing 40 in a 50 zone). I had to do a 3-point-turn and then was told to explain all the hazards on a particular road - my mouth was so dry I struggled to get any words out.! I mentioned leaves on the road, parked cars, watching for pedestrians etc and he pulled me up for not noticing how narrow the road was!! In the UK ALL the roads are that size but I guess here I should have noticed it.
The test lasted approx 40 mins, I passed.!!!
I should point out that I am a very cautious and nervous person - I was shi@ting myself all morning and didnt sleep last night for worry. I waltzed back into the license office and smugly grinned at my OH who was waiting for his test. Due to the power cut I dont get to have my license or have my photo taken (good job because the excessive sweating made my hair frizz) I have to go back tomorrow for that. I retained my UK license then spent 20 mins teaching my husband about hazards and hand signals etc..... He had a different examiner - he took 35 mins and didnt have to show hand signals or hazards on his test.! He passed with flying colours.!!!!!! Now I am back home I am wondering who would have brought us back in the car had we both failed?!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A New BC Driving Test Experience

Well done Eva and hubby, a relief to get that one out the way I'm sure. One day I hope we'll be here writing about having just passed our BC driving test too, for now......thanks for sharing and congratulations!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Having to take a driving test again is the the very worst bit of emigrating. From now on it's all gravy.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Well done EVA3695 and OH
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you both!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:29 am
Just Joined

blondie_k is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A New BC Driving Test Experience

Well done!

I took my knowledge test today and am dreading the practical test, so any advice is welcomed...!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, myself and Mrs Mc have ours in a couple of weeks (Point Grey test center, Vancouver)!

Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

My OH is sh@*ing himself as well. Although he is an excellent driver he is paranoid that the test will be as hard as the British with the stringent rule of hands on the wheel at all times. How would you compare the BC test to the British?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

EVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant future

Thanks all for your congratulations....! I am feeling 'dead chuffed' with myself today....
As to compare it with the Uk test.....Its 15 years since I took that one! The examiner was nice, he told me exactly what to expect during the test.. They know you can drive, they arent out to trick you. As long as he abides by the speed limits and recognises school zones he should be fine. The examiner said he felt safe in the car with me (thats not what my husband says!). Believe me if I can do it anyone can.! Just remember to overdo the shoulder checks when changing lanes, turning right,left and setting off. Good Luck to all those still to do it.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
My OH is sh@*ing himself as well. Although he is an excellent driver he is paranoid that the test will be as hard as the British with the stringent rule of hands on the wheel at all times. How would you compare the BC test to the British?
If you're nervous, then the test might be tricky (both the theory & practical) - a friend failed the theory 3 times, and takes the practical today. She's perfectly capable, but gets worried sick before the event. I found the tests themselves pretty straightforward, certainly less complex and demanding from what I remember of the UK test.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EVA3695
Hello all.
Thought I would share my experience, I had my road test today. We arrived at the test centre nice and early to find it in darkness! There had been a power outage at 8.30am but the good news was they were still doing road tests!! I had to drive to get some cash - due to the pin card thingies not working. Once I was called I had to sit in the drivers seat and demonstrate turning the lights,fog lights,indicators wipers etc and show the relevant hand signals (luckily thanks to b.e and your past threads I had swatted up on them) I must have driven past 4 schools so never seemed to reach over 30kmph.! At one point the examiner told me to speed up (I was doing 40 in a 50 zone). I had to do a 3-point-turn and then was told to explain all the hazards on a particular road - my mouth was so dry I struggled to get any words out.! I mentioned leaves on the road, parked cars, watching for pedestrians etc and he pulled me up for not noticing how narrow the road was!! In the UK ALL the roads are that size but I guess here I should have noticed it.
The test lasted approx 40 mins, I passed.!!!
I should point out that I am a very cautious and nervous person - I was shi@ting myself all morning and didnt sleep last night for worry. I waltzed back into the license office and smugly grinned at my OH who was waiting for his test. Due to the power cut I dont get to have my license or have my photo taken (good job because the excessive sweating made my hair frizz) I have to go back tomorrow for that. I retained my UK license then spent 20 mins teaching my husband about hazards and hand signals etc..... He had a different examiner - he took 35 mins and didnt have to show hand signals or hazards on his test.! He passed with flying colours.!!!!!! Now I am back home I am wondering who would have brought us back in the car had we both failed?!!!!!

~congratulations~ and thanks for sharing......
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
~congratulations~ and thanks for sharing......
would you take lessons before taking the test?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:36 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
would you take lessons before taking the test?
I wouldn't. The driving standard here is not that great, UK drivers should have no problem. Although there are some different protocols here. Read the book. My wife was a driving instructor in the UK, me a crazy biker and she got more demerits than me. Which still gets mentioned every now and then.

Signals use is in a decline, they seem to get used when there is only one way to go, or after the vehicle has braked and maneuvered. The only hand signal I have seen utilizes just one finger and is quite straightforward to use. Sometimes there seems to be a need to be to wind down the window to get more emphasis. When signals do get used, many drivers think they have their right of way, even if they are just coming onto the freeway.

Roundabouts are popping up all over now, this one has still yet to be mastered. When pulling out of a side road, there appears to be a need pull out in front of another vehicle, perhaps it is more comforting having someone behind.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I advise everyone to take the test in an automatic. It gives the examiners a lot less to fail you on.

They are very hot on observation so make sure you do those shoulder checks, and speed limits - especially around school zones and parks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.