Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

nerves of steel required!

Wikiposts

nerves of steel required!

Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice
Default Re: nerves of steel required!

Originally Posted by izzi81
thanks for the replies it always helps to hear other people have gone through the same thing!
Howefamily - totally agree about the 'can still back out' thing. I'm never going to, but my brain likes to remind me that I still could..

shunter1977 - I have been trying to focus on that part when I can; getting out there and getting organised. I think right now it feels very unorganised, but that's only because there's so many things that can't be done until we arrive. I'll be glad when we're finally there!

theoldfields - we have less than 2 months also (leave on May21st) but we got our visas in 2011. Various things have delayed the move, and I think that probably hasn't helped, it would have been better just to get out there and get on with it. But then there have been benefits to waiting, just perhaps not mentally lol.
Izzi - sounds like your position is very similar to ours. We got our PR cards in sep 2010 but had things we wanted to get sorted out first. they took a bit longer than planned but it's all systems go - flights set for june 1. Hope it all goes well for you.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I lose track of how long we've been in the emigration process (not as long as some, I know!) and I've always thought of it as a rollercoaster, with ups and downs, some steeper than others. But now we're within weeks of moving out, the grip required to hang on is something else!

I feel permanently frazzled due to my brain being on overdrive *all the time*, trying to remember everything/think of things I've forgotten. I thought putting the application together was bad, but that was a doddle compared to the logistics there are now. I've always been a bit of a worrier, and my mind is having great fun every now and then throwing all the worst case scenarios at me. There's no way we're not going, I'm totally up for the adventure, but wow these last few weeks are tough! It feels like its taking years off my life - which wasn't the point lol!

Any tips or sharing of similar experiences?
Inside my head this is my face, permanently:

Maybe a bit of levity will help mitigate the stress a little.

Roller-coaster Thread
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

I lose track of how long we've been in the emigration process (not as long as some, I know!) and I've always thought of it as a rollercoaster, with ups and downs, some steeper than others. But now we're within weeks of moving out, the grip required to hang on is something else!

I feel permanently frazzled due to my brain being on overdrive *all the time*, trying to remember everything/think of things I've forgotten. I thought putting the application together was bad, but that was a doddle compared to the logistics there are now. I've always been a bit of a worrier, and my mind is having great fun every now and then throwing all the worst case scenarios at me. There's no way we're not going, I'm totally up for the adventure, but wow these last few weeks are tough! It feels like its taking years off my life - which wasn't the point lol!

Any tips or sharing of similar experiences?
Inside my head this is my face, permanently:
Any big important things like this I always get organised with a speadsheet. I list what needs to be done and colour the cells depending on importance and progress, different pages for different subjects and other organisy things.

Having one place where you can keep notes/ideas/worries is a real help.

If in doubt about any one thing, ask someone in the know. I got lots of help from this forum in particular, rather than stressing out, just get a solid answer.

Alcohol helps too
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
heres another one for you
- what happens if your container ship sinks, and you lose all your belongings

that should keep you awake for a few hours
Do your belongings include a Bengal Tiger?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Daniel - I've been using a notepad, but have opted for a colour coded spreadsheet and that seems to be working well. Granted there is too much on it, but I'll work on that!

As for the alcohol.... I don't drink! Which I think is a good thing because I'd be an alcoholic by now lol
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Daniel - I've been using a notepad, but have opted for a colour coded spreadsheet and that seems to be working well. Granted there is too much on it, but I'll work on that!

As for the alcohol.... I don't drink! Which I think is a good thing because I'd be an alcoholic by now lol
Izzi - we're worried that we've not got much on our to do list and there's only seven weeks to go before we fly and start to find out all the things we've forgotten to do !!!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
Izzi - we're worried that we've not got much on our to do list and there's only seven weeks to go before we fly and start to find out all the things we've forgotten to do !!!
Two months today we fly.

I finish work next week, then I guess the fun really will start, when I start the To Do List.

Have been feeling sick constantly with the stress. Izzi - you are not alone.

Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:43 am
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

One year from now you'll wonder what all the fuss was about
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=DanielM;10648341]Any big important things like this I always get organised with a speadsheet. I list what needs to be done and colour the cells depending on importance and progress, different pages for different subjects and other organisy things.
QUOTE]

lol, i thought it was just me with several colour coded spreadsheets
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stonedog
One year from now you'll wonder what all the fuss was about
Kiwi cafe - late June?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by family_of_4

lol, i thought it was just me with several colour coded spreadsheets
Haven't got one yet, but feel one coming on....
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Kaye5 - it's weird how knowing someone is going through exactly the same thing makes me feel a bit better! I have 2 weeks left at work, then 3 weeks after that we leave. Argh!

Stonedog - I'm sure you're right... Part of me wants to fast forward to that point lol!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:15 pm
Pissy Mare

Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Kiwi cafe - late June?
Sounds good to me
Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:18 pm
Pissy Mare

Stonedog - I'm sure you're right... Part of me wants to fast forward to that point lol!

I remember feeling the same, but looking back two and a half years I can honestly say that, despite the stress and worry, I've enjoyed every bit of the adventure
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stonedog
Sounds good to me
I'll be in touch!