Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

nerves of steel required!

nerves of steel required!

Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default nerves of steel required!

I lose track of how long we've been in the emigration process (not as long as some, I know!) and I've always thought of it as a rollercoaster, with ups and downs, some steeper than others. But now we're within weeks of moving out, the grip required to hang on is something else!

I feel permanently frazzled due to my brain being on overdrive *all the time*, trying to remember everything/think of things I've forgotten. I thought putting the application together was bad, but that was a doddle compared to the logistics there are now. I've always been a bit of a worrier, and my mind is having great fun every now and then throwing all the worst case scenarios at me. There's no way we're not going, I'm totally up for the adventure, but wow these last few weeks are tough! It feels like its taking years off my life - which wasn't the point lol!

Any tips or sharing of similar experiences?
Inside my head this is my face, permanently:
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:04 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: nerves of steel required!

Originally Posted by izzi81
I lose track of how long we've been in the emigration process (not as long as some, I know!) and I've always thought of it as a rollercoaster, with ups and downs, some steeper than others. But now we're within weeks of moving out, the grip required to hang on is something else!

I feel permanently frazzled due to my brain being on overdrive *all the time*, trying to remember everything/think of things I've forgotten. I thought putting the application together was bad, but that was a doddle compared to the logistics there are now. I've always been a bit of a worrier, and my mind is having great fun every now and then throwing all the worst case scenarios at me. There's no way we're not going, I'm totally up for the adventure, but wow these last few weeks are tough! It feels like its taking years off my life - which wasn't the point lol!

Any tips or sharing of similar experiences?
Inside my head this is my face, permanently:
heres another one for you
- what happens if your container ship sinks, and you lose all your belongings

that should keep you awake for a few hours
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest

ohhh I've already been there! My brain likes to stress me out.
Like I said, this face:
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Izzi how great is living in Scotland on a 1-10 scale for you?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Izzi how great is living in Scotland on a 1-10 scale for you?
hmm. Depends on the day, but probably averages at 3-4. Yeah, I don't really want to live at the sort of point on the scale!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
hmm. Depends on the day, but probably averages at 3-4. Yeah, I don't really want to live at the sort of point on the scale!
Well I would say things can only improve for you then. Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you see all your friends and have a ton of get togethers before you go - you will miss them like crazy in the early weeks.

Aside from that - I used to write long lists of things I had to do and just wade through them.

Deep Breaths!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

I remember it well. I too am a worrier and have terrible OCD so the worst thing was the "train wreck" feeling our lives took on in that last month. But I think it helped with the leaving in some respects because I was eager to just get here and organized again. I felt i'd aged considerably by the time we boarded the plane but after that first sleep here in Canada it's been a distant memory and well worth it in the end.

Good luck and as GL said lists, lists and more lists, read them and check them off before you go to sleep at night and you should sleep better
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:32 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I found this to be the worst part, the last minute leadup. You know you can still backout, the options still there... its much easier once you arrive....

Keep smiling, its part of the process....
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Make sure you see all your friends and have a ton of get togethers before you go - you will miss them like crazy in the early weeks.

Aside from that - I used to write long lists of things I had to do and just wade through them.

Deep Breaths!
We're doing exactly the same thing but there's no way these last few weeks are fun. Too many farewells, more than one with many people, the only one's that seem to work are those with friends we don't see that often anyway ( and therefore shouldn't count ) and people who have already planned their visits. I'm sure it would have been easier if we'd kept this period shorter - there's still 8 weeks to go !!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:13 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If the vessel your goods are being transported on sinks, you are liable for a proportion of the cost of replacement or repair of the vessel. This is determined by the value of your goods being shipped. This is in addition to the loss of your goods.

Also, it a cargo ship’s master voluntarily sacrifices the cargo, equipment or funds from the ship to save the voyage, then all parties involved in the venture (including all cargo owners) are required to make a proportional contribution to cover the costs incurred.

If your goods are not those sacrificed, don't breath a sigh of relief....everyone has to pay towards the loss of sacrificed goods.

When a General Average is declared by the ship’s master the cargo would not be released until the cargo owners put up a cash bond or the cargo insurers put up a General Average guarantee.

Generally these risks are covered by insurance. If you don't have insurance, you are not only risking losing your goods.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Keep smiling, its part of the process....
Yes, it is, just that, a process, you can't hasten it, it has to run its course....but God I don't envy you one bit! I remember that almost out of body experience of blind panic. I worry on an industrial scale too.

The next bit won't be easy once you arrive either! It does get better! But it is a bit three steps forward and two steps back on occasion. I was positive that we were doing the right thing, I still feel that, but just after arriving I doubted it frequently.

Try to take a bit of time every day, even if it's just half an hour to do something by yourself that you enjoy, have a long hot bath, go for a walk...but just be a bit nice to yourself. Very best of luck and sincere best wishes
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

A few months ago I read our company's policy on shipping goods by sea in container ships; if I'd read that before emigrating I wouldn't have expected to see any of my stuff again...
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, it is, just that, a process, you can't hasten it, it has to run its course....but God I don't envy you one bit! I remember that almost out of body experience of blind panic. I worry on an industrial scale too.

The next bit won't be easy once you arrive either! It does get better! But it is a bit three steps forward and two steps back on occasion. I was positive that we were doing the right thing, I still feel that, but just after arriving I doubted it frequently.

Try to take a bit of time every day, even if it's just half an hour to do something by yourself that you enjoy, have a long hot bath, go for a walk...but just be a bit nice to yourself. Very best of luck and sincere best wishes
Thanks for the hints. I reckon we've allowed the process to drag on too long but there's less than two months left now until we fly so it will soon be on to the next stage. We're determined to enjoy the first months in Canada, setting up a new home, settling in etc and hopefully the summer weather should also help. If we can just surpress our habit of worrying about finding work even though we budgeted to have the summer off it should be good.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks for the replies it always helps to hear other people have gone through the same thing!
Howefamily - totally agree about the 'can still back out' thing. I'm never going to, but my brain likes to remind me that I still could..

shunter1977 - I have been trying to focus on that part when I can; getting out there and getting organised. I think right now it feels very unorganised, but that's only because there's so many things that can't be done until we arrive. I'll be glad when we're finally there!

theoldfields - we have less than 2 months also (leave on May21st) but we got our visas in 2011. Various things have delayed the move, and I think that probably hasn't helped, it would have been better just to get out there and get on with it. But then there have been benefits to waiting, just perhaps not mentally lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.