Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

nelson bc, what is it really like?

nelson bc, what is it really like?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:24 am
Just Joined

nat 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nelson bc, what is it really like?

Hiya, just curious to read about some of the things that you do and don't like about nelson bc. We are currently living in australia and we were originally gonna move to canada but changed our minds. If we did decide to move, nelson could be in the running. Just wondered what your views are on the place.
cheers nat.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:58 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nelson bc, what is it really like?

Originally Posted by nat 1
Hiya, just curious to read about some of the things that you do and don't like about nelson bc. We are currently living in australia and we were originally gonna move to canada but changed our minds. If we did decide to move, nelson could be in the running. Just wondered what your views are on the place.
cheers nat.
Depends what you want or need to do for a living. Nice small town, a long way from all major centres. Nice to visit, but could not imagine living there.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:28 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered what your views are on the place.
cheers nat.
Hippies
Granola
Grow ops
Cash businesses
Artsy
Tie die clothing
Grow ops
Quaint
Draft dodgers
Grow ops

R.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:02 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Good brewery, as I recall. But definitely not cosmopolitan. Handy for the mountains, but not handy for any city of meaningful size.
Really curious to know what you would be doing for a living? Backcountry ski guide?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:14 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Backcountry ski guide?
Gardener

R.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:17 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

cheers nat.
Kootney Co-op radio produces the Canadian Voices series.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:38 am
Just Joined

nat 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that everyone. Husbands a bricklayer and i'm a teaching assistant but after reading some of the more recent posts on here i think we'll go over for a holiday and check some of the places out before rushing into moving over. Got 4 kids in tow as well so don't want to make any harsh decisions. Good luck to everyone though who's going through the process of emigrating.
nat.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:03 am
Lotus-eater

Thanks for that everyone. Husbands a bricklayer and i'm a teaching assistant but after reading some of the more recent posts on here i think we'll go over for a holiday and check some of the places out before rushing into moving over.
In all seriousness Nat you should go and check out the place. Esp if you have 4 kids to consider. Nelson is a long way from a long way from anywhere. It's just "different" ya know and not for everyone. Winter is totally different from summer in a lot of ways and not jut weather wise.

It may be a lot of expense but in hindsight call it an investment in making the right choice. The cost of not checking it out (money+hassle+stress) is a lot more than a few grand spent on a vacation.

R.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Reminds me of the Lake District
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:21 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by kb33
Reminds me of the Lake District
You really have no idea.

R.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You really have no idea.

R.
Shut it Hippy
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:00 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by kb33
Shut it Hippy
Noveau-hippy if ya don't mind.

R.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
In all seriousness Nat you should go and check out the place. Esp if you have 4 kids to consider. Nelson is a long way from a long way from anywhere. It's just "different" ya know and not for everyone. Winter is totally different from summer in a lot of ways and not jut weather wise.

It may be a lot of expense but in hindsight call it an investment in making the right choice. The cost of not checking it out (money+hassle+stress) is a lot more than a few grand spent on a vacation.

R.
Have to second this Rich.
Myself and Mrs Inse stayed in Nelson for our reccie trip to the Kootenays. A good place to visit but we felt that we just wouldn't be able to settle there. Summers are good but the winter is a different kettle of fish. The locals will tell you of the low lying cloud cover over the lake and that it can be quite depressing as it can be like this for long periods.
You will also need good, strong leg muscles as everything is on hills, steep hills.
As far as the bricklaying goes, I was also a bricklayer (in my past, stressed out life) and there is very little, if any, bricklaying work there. As far as I know.
I went there today on business and it was snowing hard. The drive home over the Kootenay Pass was interesting
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson is in an incredibly beautiful setting by Kootenay Lake and it is close to some incredible mountain playgrounds. Surprisingly for an interior BC town, it has a very pleasing townscape. It is the regional headquarters for the East Kootenays and so has more services that you could realistically expect in somewhere such a long way from, well, just about anywhere else.

Nelson used to be on the hippy trail and in summer it is still full of backpackers staying in the many hostels. You can't walk from one side of the street to another without tripping over a group of unwashed 20 somethings playing pan pipes or having a happening. On a still night the smell of marijuana smoke clings to the town. A friend moved to Nelson several years ago and loves his life there. He is an artist and designer so I guess he fits right into the town's vibe.

My old employers did business with a Nelson based company so I have traveled there several times. I always looked forward to the visit, but I would think carefully before deciding to live there - mainly because I see very restricted employment opportunities.

Did anyone mention the numerous grow ops?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:13 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can't walk from one side of the street to another without tripping over a group of unwashed 20 somethings playing pan pipes or having a happening.
A happening ? WTF I'm driving out right now if there's a happening happening.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.