Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

need some help about customs on a puppy from africa

need some help about customs on a puppy from africa

Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

lee1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need some help about customs on a puppy from africa

hello i need some info.. i have purchased a boxer puppy from a lady who left vancover to africa.. im not getting the puppy ship to me by plane and im just wondering about customs here.. the puppy will be coming through pearson international airport in toronto. so can anyone tell me what customs does?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need some help about customs on a puppy from africa

Originally Posted by lee1987
hello i need some info.. i have purchased a boxer puppy from a lady who left vancover to africa.. im not getting the puppy ship to me by plane and im just wondering about customs here.. the puppy will be coming through pearson international airport in toronto. so can anyone tell me what customs does?
Isn't making your first post exhilarating?

Now, slow down, take a moment's thought and then repost your query in comprehensible English. There are lots of helpful folk on here, but you'll need to ask a plainer question.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

lee1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

my question is when the dog comes through customs what are the procedures that i need to take? im really confused?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

my question is when the dog comes through customs what are the procedures that i need to take? im really confused?
Someone will be along soon. I don't think I've read a thread about unaccompanied dogs at Pearson (whether coming from Africa or not). I do remember reading that dogs/cats/whatever have to be claimed at the freight depot, rather than at the passenger arrival hall.

When is the puppy arriving?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:04 pm
Born again atheist

Oh, and you should probably read this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:25 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you personally know this lady or are you going by what she is telling you.

Is she shipping the puppy from Vancouver to where you live or is she and her puppy now in Africa?

Puppies from Africa............... may be a scam
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:14 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do

Puppies from Africa............... may be a scam
that is my very first thought.
Especially the bit about moving from one place to the other...those Nigerian puppy scams always sounds like that.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you 100% sure about this? I've seen so many 'send us your money and we'll send you a puppy from Africa' scams over the years!

And even if the pup does exist, have you seen copies of pedigree certificates and health checks for the parents of the pup? I don't understand why you would get a puppy sent from Africa when you could easily get one in Canada that you can actually see and check out (plus save a poor 8 week old puppy from the trauma of a long flight etc). No reputable breeder would be prepared to ship a puppy abroad, so if the puppy exists, it would concern me that it would not be healthy and that the breeder would be dodgy.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:25 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you 100% sure about this? I've seen so many 'send us your money and we'll send you a puppy from Africa' scams over the years!

And even if the pup does exist, have you seen copies of pedigree certificates and health checks for the parents of the pup? I don't understand why you would get a puppy sent from Africa when you could easily get one in Canada that you can actually see and check out (plus save a poor 8 week old puppy from the trauma of a long flight etc). No reputable breeder would be prepared to ship a puppy abroad, so if the puppy exists, it would concern me that it would not be healthy and that the breeder would be dodgy.
ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. Top breeders through out Europe and North America regularly ship puppies abroad. (how do I know? because I was in the dog showing and breeding world for a number of years)
Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. Top breeders through out Europe and North America regularly ship puppies abroad. (how do I know? because I was in the dog showing and breeding world for a number of years)
Yes, I used to live in a rented place owned by a dog breeder who'd won prizes at Cruft's, and she sold puppies all over the world.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:19 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the woman is the same person in Africa who's husband happens to be on missionary work and is renting her flat / house out - no you cant view it inside as we have the keys oh kind and humble person, but send us the deposit money and we will do you up like a kipper - god willing!!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
So am I - the only breeders I have ever come across that will ship a puppy will only do so to fellow breeders to improve bloodlines of the breed. Certainly nobody I know would ever ship a puppy abroad to be used as a pet -in fact several of us had a discussion about exactly that at a recent Championship show. If anybody asked me to export one of my pups they'd be told no instantly. The only pup I have ever exported was to Sweden, to be used as a stud because there were no other suitable in Sweden (admittedly a rare breed so breeders have to be very careful about mixing bloodlines too closely).

As an aside, could I please request that you learn to politely disagree with someone rather than being so rude and instantly dismissing their views? You've done it to me before, and I've seen you do it to others as well. If you don't agree with something somebody has said then there are nicer ways of saying so rather than 'shouting' at them and saying their point of view is absolute rubbish. My experience is different from yours but that doesn't mean you are automatically right or entitled to be rude to me.

Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:29 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

So am I - the only breeders I have ever come across that will ship a puppy will only do so to fellow breeders to improve bloodlines of the breed. Certainly nobody I know would ever ship a puppy abroad to be used as a pet -in fact several of us had a discussion about exactly that at a recent Championship show. If anybody asked me to export one of my pups they'd be told no instantly. The only pup I have ever exported was to Sweden, to be used as a stud because there were no other suitable in Sweden (admittedly a rare breed so breeders have to be very careful about mixing bloodlines too closely).

As an aside, could I please request that you learn to politely disagree with someone rather than being so rude and instantly dismissing their views? You've done it to me before, and I've seen you do it to others as well. If you don't agree with something somebody has said then there are nicer ways of saying so rather than 'shouting' at them and saying their point of view is absolute rubbish. My experience is different from yours but that doesn't mean you are automatically right or entitled to be rude to me.

Why don`t you get some advice from Mike UK he seems very understanding when it comes to puppies!!!

Think you`ll find, the narrow-minded morons on here are always quick to cut down views and opinions they don`t share with the same old language. Its kinda sad but thats the way it is.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Let me guess. It was advertised on Kijiji?

One of my friends was looking for a pup...all sorts coming from Africa apparently.

Why on earth would you fall for that? Even IF its real, why would you put a dog through that when there are so many local dogs looking for homes.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:15 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Could I request that you do make sweeping generalisations or phrase your posts as gospel in future then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.