Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need advise on legally married girlfriend and low skilled project

Wikiposts

Need advise on legally married girlfriend and low skilled project

Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:15 am
Just Joined

chrissy.lambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Londoner seeks advise on legally married Toronto girlfriend and low skilled project

Hi guys im looking for some sound advise as to where i stand with the issue of immigrating to toronto.

I'm currently romanticly involved with a lady who is canadian and lives in toronto, we have been doing the long distance relationship for over a year and a half and are now ready to commit long term, in that time we have spent approx 3 and half months together and have been in contact everyday, i appreciate that this may not qualifie us as common law partners and hence she may not be able to sponser me to come to canada ?

She is legally married and also a home owner, she has debts in excess of 20k, has a degree/masters and so am wondering if we are considered common law does the debt and marital status mean there is no way she can sponser me ?

We share the same unsuall surname funny enough so is there a way instead of saying we are common law that perhaps we are related (we are not for the record) !!

I'm a working man with a sales/travel/retail background so again have doubts if i would score high enough to be accepted for a working visa although i would like to talk to someone that has application knowledge on the low skilled project.

many thanks people
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Need advise on legally married girlfriend and low skilled project

Hi guys im looking for some sound advise as to where i stand with the issue of immigrating to toronto.

I'm currently romanticly involved with a lady who is canadian and lives in toronto, we have been doing the long distance relationship for over a year and a half and are now ready to commit long term, in that time we have spent approx 3 and half months together and have been in contact everyday, i appreciate that this may not qualifie us as common law partners and hence she may not be able to sponser me to come to canada ?

She is legally married and also a home owner, she has debts in excess of 20k, has a degree/masters and so am wondering if we are considered common law does the debt and marital status mean there is no way she can sponser me ?

We share the same unsuall surname funny enough so is there a way instead of saying we are common law that perhaps we are related (we are not for the record) !!

I'm a working man with a sales/travel/retail background so again have doubts if i would score high enough to be accepted for a working visa although i would like to talk to someone that has application knowledge on the low skilled project.

many thanks people
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advise on legally married girlfriend and low skilled project

Originally Posted by chrissy.lambo

many thanks people
This is my understanding:

1. You have not met the common law requirements.
2. As she is married to someone else, she is not free to marry or be considered common law until the previous marriage is dissolved.
3. A sponsor has to have the means to support the person they are sponsoring and support them for a period of three years (keep them off of welfare).
4. You have to prove your relationship with the person you sponsor with documentation. Unless you are a minor and she's your mother not much chance of that. In any event, lie to CIC and they found out, you would likley be deported.

Read the CIC website on family class sponsorship.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:25 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

many thanks people
zero chance she can sponsor you as common law or conjugal partner.

as for the name, never lie on your app, it could rule you out to even enter the country in the future as a visitor.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

ok so i cant rely on her for nowt,

if i do the bunac visa will i have a chance of getting the low skilled workers visa ?

thank you for ur quick responses
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:30 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

how old are you? some more info might help mate
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:39 am
Just Joined

im 28 years old, ive applied for the bunac visa but wont be able to make it this year as the funds have gone else where. I'll probably reapplie in december. I've been to toronto just the once since ive been with her but the time spent wasnt to make contacts unfortunatly. She is on around 60k a year and is 34. I know this low skilled project seems abit deperate but im just trying to cover all corners.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:42 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Londoner seeks advise on legally married Toronto girlfriend and low skilled proje

To be common-law spouses for immigration you must have lived together for one year so you would not qualify on that basis.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

im 28 years old, ive applied for the bunac visa but wont be able to make it this year as the funds have gone else where. I'll probably reapplie in december. I've been to toronto just the once since ive been with her but the time spent wasnt to make contacts unfortunatly. She is on around 60k a year and is 34. I know this low skilled project seems abit deperate but im just trying to cover all corners.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/low-skill.asp

Is there a reason why she isn't considering divorcing the husband? Or is she perhaps of a religion and/or nationality that prohibits divorce. How have you managed to spend 3 and 1/2 months together?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Londoner seeks advise on legally married Toronto girlfriend and low skilled proje

Jim i really appreciate ur response..

Jim am i screwed ?

im 28, she is 34, i have no formal qualifications. I have a great deal of work experience in sales/customer service/travel but realisticly canada doesnt need me if thats all ive got to offer......?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:57 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

have a read of the wiki

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Working_Holiday_Visas

somebody who went the bunac route might be able to help. good luck dude.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:09 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe stating the obvious, but if she's really ready to commit to you, should not her first step be to get a divorce?

There surely can't be any way you and she could be legally linked while she is married to somebody else .......
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One Thread Per Customer .. I merged your two duplicates posts.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Wait, she's legally married but dating you? Or is she separated and dating you?

When I began living with my (now) common-law partner I was legally separated from my (now) ex-husband. I checked with Imm Can and was informed that as long as I was legally separated, the time my partner and I lived together would count towards common-law status.

Let me clarify:
**Legally separated from (now) ex-husband Sept of 07 (legal separation agreement)
**Began dating (now) bf Jan 08
**Moved in together 16 Jun 08 (he came over on a Bunac)
(divorce finalized end May 09)
**As of 16 Jun 09 we met the 1 yr as common-law requirement for me to sponsor him as my common-law husband.

So, I guess it depends on a) whether or not your gf is legally separated and b) whether or not you can get a Bunac. You do not at this point in time meet the requirements for common-law. If she is not legally separated and, for some reason, intends to REMAIN married, you are out of luck via the sponsorship route.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kynn
When I began living with my (now) common-law partner I was legally separated from my (now) ex-husband. I checked with Imm Can and was informed that as long as I was legally separated, the time my partner and I lived together would count towards common-law status.

Please define legally separated? I didn't know such a position existed in Canada - Unlike England and Wales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.