Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need advice about bad apartment

Need advice about bad apartment

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need advice about bad apartment

Originally Posted by Siren
Firstly, buy a de-humidifyer. Cranking the heat won't help. Secondly, call the rental board in your province. Advise them of the problem and your landlords lack of help.
They can advise you as to what to do.
It may be as simple as you begin sending your rent checks to the rental board and they refuse to pay the landlord until the problem has been treated appropriately. (You can actually do this at any time.)

Make sure that you advise your landlord in WRITING about the problem and request that he fix it, FIRST. CC it to the rental board and yourself (registered mail.) I think if he does nothing within a certain timeframe you can....

... call the appropriate person, have the problem fixed and deduct it from your rent check. Keep the invoice and make sure that you send a copy with letter of explanation to the rental board. (Here it is always good to cover your back.

Hope this helps!!

Siren

This is very good advice, we called the rent review board and they told us to get the landlord to do the repairs. Of course he wasn't about to so we didn't pay him....that soon got his attention. All the repairs that had to be done we took off the next months rent so he soon had someone around to fix our mould problem. It was a leak in the roof and the water was running and finding its own home so we had mould in all the cornors on the outside wall. It isn't called the rent review board but right now the name escapes me. Good luck and perhaps you should look at moving.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Moving is top of the agenda, but I`m sure you are aware, moving this time of year is no fun at all :scared:

Anyway, things have moved on since. I visited city hall and spoke to some people there. They put me through to one of the city`s building inspectors. He will be paying our apartment a visit on Tuesday.

I told the landlord I will refuse to pay any rent. Hey, what did he do? He gave us a notice to vacate!! What an arsehole. I guess that makes our decision to move just that bit easier. That`s not before I cause so much crap for him and his shoddy business.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

So if he has given you the notice to vacate the property, then that gives you 90 days to find somewhere else right, Give him a tough time....the harder the better. By the way have any of the other tennant run into problems with mould or anything else?
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Nope, a notice to vacate gives you 18 days to leave (or there abouts). Don`t worry, I have plenty of grounds to fight him on. He`s picked on the wrong person if he think I`ll just lay here and take it
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think if he is giving you notice to vacate the apartment he has to give you 3 months notice but if you are giving him notice then it is 30 days....where did you get 18 days from?
http://www.megadox.com/documents.php/1473
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBob
Guys,

Anyone have some idea who I need to see about this....

We have seen the rentalsman but he never really showed any interest. Instead just offering the advice `It might be better to just move out`

I wish it was that easy. Too damn cold, and the fact it`s finding another place too and all the other stresses of moving.

We live in an apartment which is becoming terribly damp. The carpets under the windows are always wet, it stinks and we now have black mould creeping up the walls. Yet, the rent is always been hiked up. We pay $600 a month for this crap, plus we have to pay heat, lights and everything else. I know this place is unhealthy. If there`s mould growing on the walls, I dread to think what we`re breathing in. The people upstairs have dogs barking and running around, and they`re always shouting and slamming doors, despite the fact the lease says no pets. I`ve complained about them, but the superintendent said `I`ll speak to them, but they probably won`t listen to me`... The landlord is never hear expect for his money, but we never see him in person.

We need someone like a health or building inspector. Is there anywhere we can go to? Maybe the local city hall? Check out the photo, this patch nearly 2ft tall is behind our bed! We have this in every room. I`m in the Maritimes FWIW... Thanks.

first of all get a dehumidifier then crack open your windows for at least a few hours a day.......all the humidity is locked in your house and you need to get some airflow going.....that mould could kill you.....don't worry about the landlord just worry about your health right now......take some action
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

First, accept that the solution to this issue may involve you moving out. The solution is as follows:

(1) Find the Landlord & Tenants Act for your province.
(2) Issue the landlord notice of the problem in the manner prescribed in that Act.
(3) He will be legally obligated to resolve the issue within a period (28 days is common) prescribed by the Act.
(4) If he fails, you are released from your contract.
(5) Move out.
(6) If he screws around with your security deposit, small claims court is the solution. Many jurisdictions have special landlord/tenant small-claim style courts.
(7) Knowing he'll lose, he won't bother contesting and he'll give you your money back. Or he won't show up, in which case you'll get a default judgement, or he'll show up and lose.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I think he said he had been to talk to the Rentalsman and I think that is the same as the Rental Board.
I get the impression that he means the building superintendent.