Name change

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name change

Hey.

I recently got married and would like to change my name; it's a same sex marriage so it's not a straight forward surname change. I would like to take my wife's surname as my middle name i.e. my name would change from "Jane Doe" to "Jane Smith Doe".

I'm a British Citizen with PR in Canada and having looked I'm unclear as to the order I would go about this. Would I have to change my name by UK deed poll and then apply for a new UK passport or do I change my name as a resident of BC Canada?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:49 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name change

Google is your friend

Legal name change BC
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JGK
Google is your friend

Legal name change BC
I'm quite aware of Google and how to use it thank you and as such had already found that link.

My question was about ordering. Do I apply for a BC resident name change then inform the UK government and update my passport accordingly, or do I apply for a change by deed poll and then inform BC?
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:57 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Based on this:

UK deed poll

You will likely need to make the UK change before applying for the passport if you are combining the surnames.

You will need the do the BC version to allow you to update all of your necessary documents & ID's such as healthcare, SIN, driving licence etc.

BC Name Change

Having to do both is a result of the combining of the names. Complete adoption of your spouses surname would negate the UK part.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JGK
Based on this:

UK deed poll

You will likely need to make the UK change before applying for the passport if you are combining the surnames.

You will need the do the BC version to allow you to update all of your necessary documents & ID's such as healthcare, SIN, driving licence etc.

BC Name Change

Having to do both is a result of the combining of the names. Complete adoption of your spouses surname would negate the UK part.
Thanks for clarifying - much appreciated.