Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My views about Canada.

My views about Canada.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:12 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My views about Canada.

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
Since returning to Canada, I have been quite surprised as to how homophobic Canadians really are.
Sad but true.

But if you really want to mess with people's minds, sit down in an Alberta restaurant and, while you're all perusing the menu, tell your dining companions you're a vegetarian. :scared:

In case it sounds as if I'm trying to minimise the point you made, I'm not.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sad but true.

But if you really want to mess with people's minds, sit down in an Alberta restaurant and, while you're all perusing the menu, tell your dining companions you're a vegetarian. :scared:

Canadians tolerate all kinds of diifference as long as it is discrete but if you flaunt your difference in an "In your face" approach they are going to get annoyed and understandably so.

Last edited by flashman; Apr 7th 2005 at 11:31 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Sad but true.

Better still - have them try the local delicacy
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:31 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Or ask them if the beef is safe.

Make sure the car is running outside though!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

what do you mean by "flaunt your difference"?
what is a "normal" Canadian?
i'm not having a go...i just am interested to hear what you meant by that.

Originally Posted by flashman
Canadians tolerate all kinds of diifference as long as it is discrete but if you flaunt your difference in an "In your face" approach they are going to get annoyed and understandably so.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:03 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Now its getting interesting.
let me sit down and have a drink
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

i come in peace.....

star trekkn

Originally Posted by buzz365
Now its getting interesting.
let me sit down and have a drink
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I think that's one of the interesting things about Canadians is that we're don't fit in the typical definition of "normal"......
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Since returning to Canada, I have been quite surprised as to how homophobic Canadians really are. Canadians seem to pride themselves on how open they are to different races,religions and lifestyles but i have to say that it appears to be all a facade (please don't attack,leture,or bombard me with nonsense if that isn't spelled correctly(or should i say well or right......i shall get my shield ready).
Atleast in the Uk I think people are more upfront about their feelings and views. I say better the Devil you know ...........
I'm surprised that you should say Canadians are homophobic. Admittedly the very few Canadians I know are, but I work very near Boystown and see same-sex couples indulging in public displays of affection all the time. American visitors, gay and straight, tend usually remark on this, as it's not usual in most states to see people of the same sex kissing on the street. Even the faux-Irish pub near my house has had openly gay customers for as long as it's been open, it hasn't always been a welcoming place for non-white people. If Canadians are particularly homophobic, how come this one of the few places where same-sex marriage is allowed ?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sad but true.

Is this still true ? I've been all across the US, including Texas, Nebraska and Utah, with a vegetarian and had no problems at all. I suspect this is a cliche.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Make a big deal about it such as rambling on about the benefits of Vegetarianism or experiences of same sex relationships like you were selling it.

Some things should be kept personal and private.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

We are living in Ottawa at the moment so maybe that is why I have that impression. People tend to be extremely conservative here and non-descript. But I must say, even as i have been back in touch with old friends and acquaintances and still get that impression. Its not so much comments made... its the lack of and their extreme uneasiness when you talk about the gay/lesbian scene. It's as if they would prefer not to admit its there and are too timid to say what they really feel.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm surprised that you should say Canadians are homophobic. Admittedly the very few Canadians I know are, but I work very near Boystown and see same-sex couples indulging in public displays of affection all the time. American visitors, gay and straight, tend usually remark on this, as it's not usual in most states to see people of the same sex kissing on the street. Even the faux-Irish pub near my house has had openly gay customers for as long as it's been open, it hasn't always been a welcoming place for non-white people. If Canadians are particularly homophobic, how come this one of the few places where same-sex marriage is allowed ?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: My views about Canada.

Originally Posted by Calgal
Better still - have them try the local delicacy

I see this went right over everyones head Prairie Oysters, anyone?

ooooh maybe you're not 'Canadian' enough, yet?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Calgal
I see this went right over everyones head Prairie Oysters, anyone?

ooooh maybe you're not 'Canadian' enough, yet?

LOL.....I was born and raised in Canada.....and it went right over my head. Must start taking more time to read the messages....I'm missing out on some really good jokes!!!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:06 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is this still true ?
Yes.

I've been all across the US, including Texas, Nebraska and Utah, with a vegetarian and had no problems at all.
I imagine you and your travel companion interacted with strangers (waiters, etc.) during your travels. In my case those are not the people who have given me a rough time. The ones who have done so have been acquaintances, but not all acquaintances, of course.

I suspect this is a cliche.
As you wish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.