Reload this Page >

My third week in Waterloo

My third week in Waterloo

Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

tyrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My third week in Waterloo

Hi Folks,

So I've been in Waterloo for three weeks now. Got all the necessary stuff sorted - social insurance number, bank account, driving license, car (2001 Kia Rio) and car insurance ($2000 - yikes!).

I'm renting a basement apartment (I'm sure I'll eventually turn pale because of the lack of sunlight) with all bills included for $750/month (just signed a 12 month lease today. It's certainly cheaper than the studio flat I was renting in the UK (in a commuter town close to London)

Having gone to several supermarkets (Zehrs, Shoppers drug Mart), I haven't noticed that food's any cheaper. It's about the same price, and in ome cases more expensive (like tinned tuna). I noticed a distinct lack of own-brand products as well.

I'm suprised how relaxed my workplace is (high-tech industry office environment). On my first day I dressed in a shirt and tie - and everyone stared! Since then I've reverted to the company issue uniform - t-shirt and jeans.

Tim Hortons seems to be a Canadian institution. People from the office go for a "Timmy's" several times a day. They're certainly cheap and the quality's good, but I'm not sure if I want to make Timbits a regular part of my diet!

Went to Waterloo Park yesterday in the lovely warm sunshine (must have been 28 to 30 celcius). It was beautifully clean and litter free! A spectrum of people from all over the world were just mingling and wandering, and having picnics. There was plenty of parking inside the boundaries of the park (even though I went at the busiest time of the day).

Later that night at about 11pm I went into downtown Kitchener. That was completely different. Certainly less salubrious. I started talking to this one guy who, having learned I was new to the area, warned me to stay at the other side of downtown lest I get mugged.

Looks like I'm here for the next year at least. I think I've made the right decision. Don't think I could have stood my previous job for another year.

Tyrian
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:07 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: My third week in Waterloo

Originally Posted by tyrian
Hi Folks,

So I've been in Waterloo for three weeks now. Got all the necessary stuff sorted - social insurance number, bank account, driving license, car (2001 Kia Rio) and car insurance ($2000 - yikes!).

I'm renting a basement apartment (I'm sure I'll eventually turn pale because of the lack of sunlight) with all bills included for $750/month (just signed a 12 month lease today. It's certainly cheaper than the studio flat I was renting in the UK (in a commuter town close to London)

Having gone to several supermarkets (Zehrs, Shoppers drug Mart), I haven't noticed that food's any cheaper. It's about the same price, and in ome cases more expensive (like tinned tuna). I noticed a distinct lack of own-brand products as well.

I'm suprised how relaxed my workplace is (high-tech industry office environment). On my first day I dressed in a shirt and tie - and everyone stared! Since then I've reverted to the company issue uniform - t-shirt and jeans.

Tim Hortons seems to be a Canadian institution. People from the office go for a "Timmy's" several times a day. They're certainly cheap and the quality's good, but I'm not sure if I want to make Timbits a regular part of my diet!

Went to Waterloo Park yesterday in the lovely warm sunshine (must have been 28 to 30 celcius). It was beautifully clean and litter free! A spectrum of people from all over the world were just mingling and wandering, and having picnics. There was plenty of parking inside the boundaries of the park (even though I went at the busiest time of the day).

Later that night at about 11pm I went into downtown Kitchener. That was completely different. Certainly less salubrious. I started talking to this one guy who, having learned I was new to the area, warned me to stay at the other side of downtown lest I get mugged.

Looks like I'm here for the next year at least. I think I've made the right decision. Don't think I could have stood my previous job for another year.

Tyrian
It sounds to me that your life is sorted may you continue to have happiness.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting to read !
You give a good insight to life in Waterloo & Kitchener tyrian, this is the kind of stuff we like to read.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed a distinct lack of own-brand products as well.
Loblaws/Zehrs own brands are President's Choice and No Name. There's every kind of PC branded product; bread, phones, curry, car insurance.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:06 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Folks,

Tyrian
Generally food from the grocery store is fairly similar, where you can save is going to stuff like M&M meat shops or boxed meats and buying meat in a big pack - way cheaper than the UK then. Steaks and such are way cheaper that way. Also I find soft drinks like coke/sprite a lot cheaper but obv some things are more expensive so its knowing what to buy to balance it out.

Its eating out where you save a ton of cash!

If you want no name cheapo stuff then there are a fair few no frills supermarkets around Ontario that have that sort of stuff and some of its not bad.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

I had problems as couldn't get a loan, so bought a 'cheap and cheerful' soccer mum's van.

We came from Ealing last year

Having gone to several supermarkets (Zehrs, Shoppers drug Mart), I haven't noticed that food's any cheaper. It's about the same price, and in ome cases more expensive (like tinned tuna).
You also cannot get larger tins of tuna in oil, only water

I noticed a distinct lack of own-brand products as well.
President's choice (you blind!! ) ALSO NO BEER !! I spent 10 minutes walking up and down the aisles when i first came!!

I did the same

I'm in a minority for not likeing Tim Hortons I think.

Used to walk there regular as i brought two dogs.... both had from pups about 10 years, both died within a year of getting here

I stay away, but over the weekend they had a ribs and beer festival in Victoria Park, just off the King Street, I'm a vegetarian but I like the beers.

Tyrian
welcome
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

tyrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF

President's choice (you blind!! )

welcome
I must be...I've only just noticed it! Serves me right for walking around with my head in stars
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

But have you found te important things, like where all the bars are?