Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My shipping experience (FedEx)

My shipping experience (FedEx)

Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default My shipping experience (FedEx)

We sent 8 boxes (15kg each) via FedEx. Booked with parcel2go. Total cost £302 which includes insurance and a 10% discount (I had a code).

Monday 5pm - boxes picked up in the UK
Wednesday 8.30am - call from FedEx saying that my boxes are at Vancouver airport and I need to email them a scan of my passport and TWP to clear customs
Thursday 12.30pm - boxes are in our home in Vancouver. Yay!

I have two additional boxes coming (separate order). They were picked up on Tuesday and are currently clearing customs. Should be with us tomorrow.

PS. Edited to add: the separate order of two boxes (also 15kg each) cost us £75 without insurance and without the discount.

Last edited by foreigngirl; Jan 24th 2013 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My shipping experience (FedEx)

Interesting - what size were the boxes? (LxWxH)

Curious what can be fitted into them
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Interesting - what size were the boxes? (LxWxH)

Curious what can be fitted into them
47x34x34 (cm)

We shipped clothes, shoes, handbags, accessories, ok you get it...
Lots of books.
Kitchen stuff (pans, gadgets, cutlery, etc.)
Some electronics
Bedding

You can actually fit quite a lot with clever packing. There are some good packing videos on YouTube.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

cedarsguardian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just wondering, did you have to provide a list of contents and put a price ?

Were you asked to pay any duties at all?

I am in the process of doing something similar.

Regarding contents, can we ship any food stuff?

We have some exotic herbs and a bottle of pomegranate sauce (home made), will this cause any problems if shipped by Fedex?

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cedarsguardian
Hi,

Just wondering, did you have to provide a list of contents and put a price ?

Were you asked to pay any duties at all?

I am in the process of doing something similar.

Regarding contents, can we ship any food stuff?

We have some exotic herbs and a bottle of pomegranate sauce (home made), will this cause any problems if shipped by Fedex?

Thanks
Yes, you have to put the contents down (as you do the booking on the parcel2go website). I did just general descriptions: books, clothes, etc.
We didn't pay any duties because these are all personal effects ( we're on a twp).
Apparently you're not supposed to ship food. They have a list of forbidden items on the parcel2go website.
Hth
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your answer, I am going on a TWP as well.

We had our removals company yesterday, just left few stuff behind and wanted to use Fedex for that.

I am not sure if they open up the luggage at POE though. In my case I am taking about 10 pieces of luggage... will probably be few hours if they want to go through the lot.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer, I am going on a TWP as well.

We had our removals company yesterday, just left few stuff behind and wanted to use Fedex for that.

I am not sure if they open up the luggage at POE though. In my case I am taking about 10 pieces of luggage... will probably be few hours if they want to go through the lot.
Our luggage wasnt opened. But one of the boxes was. It was then taped up with 'customs' on it. It had my underwear in it.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:51 am

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi foreigngirl
Did you ship your other goods, furniture etc.?
So you fed-ex'd the stuff you'd want to use as soon as. Wonder how that compares to shipping it all?
Good info, thanks
f
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Our luggage wasnt opened. But one of the boxes was. It was then taped up with 'customs' on it. It had my underwear in it.
Interesting - must be one desperate customs officer
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fabretti18
Hi foreigngirl
So you fed-ex'd the stuff you'd want to use as soon as. Wonder how that compares to shipping it all?
Good info, thanks
f
Just to share what I have done.

I shipped everything I wanted to ship with Robinsons. I have no furniture, but it was mainly books, kids toys, bikes, CDs/DVDs, clothes and documents - mostly of a sentimental value. (In my case I have 78 boxes... so quiet a lot).

I left few things behind like stuff that we will need within few days of arrival, so anything I will not be able to fit into my suitcases I am shipping via fedex. They charge through parcel2go about £35-£40 for 15-20 Kg box. So may workout cheaper than paying for the additional piece of luggage and have checked in.

In my case I have 4 kids so in total I have 6 pieces of luggage. I am hopping that this be enough. if not Fedex to the rescue
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fabretti18
Hi foreigngirl
Good info, thanks
f
No, we left all our furniture. Only sent clothes, shoes, handbags, etc., books, photos, things of sentimental value, some kitchen items, some electricals (despite being warned not to take them). Additionally, we brought 4 suitcases + 2 pieces of hand luggage the first time we came here, and 3 months later again 4 suitcases and 2 pieces of hand luggage. We're going back to Europe in May again, so we might bring some more stuff back in suitcases (but I think that if we don't really need it now, then what's the point of brining it, we'll see).

We booked with parcel2go - it's cheaper than going directly through fedex.
I got quotes from varous shipping companies and they were around 2000GBP for shipping all this stuff (and a 10-week wait at least or even longer as we would have had to go with groupage). Not worth it really.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interesting - must be one desperate customs officer
I think they usually open one random box to check if it matches what's written on the parcel. I had actually written 'clothes' on the box, so I guess it was a coincidence that it was the underwear box.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Having just secured my immigrant visa for the states, I'm busy booking flights and looking at the additional baggage charges. Having punched a few numbers into the parcel2go site, it seems we could save a lot of money by sending things over in advance, then just bringing our standard baggage allowance.

Can anyone share other experiences of posting/shipping instead of paying additional baggage fees with the airline.

Additionally, can anyone recommend other shipping websites we should be looking at, or comparing with parcel2go? We're thinking of sending two full suitcases of clothes and personal effects, and potentially a snowboard, from UK to USA

Many Thanks,

Rich.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
And very nice underwear it was
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And very nice underwear it was
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.