Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My scenario,honest opinion please.

My scenario,honest opinion please.

Old Aug 31st 2015, 4:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My scenario,honest opinion please.

Originally Posted by not2old
Cable TV $100
Quite a few don't bother with TV package with the various gadget and internet alternatives
Internet $80
As it happens I'm in the process of adding fibre-op TV to our phone/internet bundle. The three year deal is actually less than just the phone/internet currently is. $109 instead of $111.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

lets suppose after you get here that after buying the house, the vehicle etc you have ~$300k in the bank in a hugely 1% interest paying account, that will give you $3000/yr interest income which you have to declare as taxable income.

Then (as you mentioned) you likely will both work part time (no benefits) 25hrs/wk at minimum wage of $11/hr = 50hr x $11 = $550 gross $450/wk net, or $23,400/yr + $3000 interest = $26,400 income or $2200/mth

Your monthly expenses will be something along the following excluding prescriptions which you may need to buy medical insurance or get on the Trillium drug plan....

Its my guesstimate & I'm usually lean & mean on the numbers

Total ~ $2450

Utilities (electricity, gas, water) $350
Phones (4 x cell phones + a landline) $200
Cable TV $100
Internet $80
Property tax $300
Vehicle costs (petrol & other) $200
Public transit $100
Repairs & maint' $100
Insurance (house, vehicle) $120 (bare minimum) as a new resident with zero history, it could be double that
Groceries $450
Clothing $100
Entertainment (eating out, movies, booze, kids pocket money) $250
Misc $100

With two teens, cost of travel, my guess is you may need to use the capital or find work that pays more or work more hours

$100 for cable? Looking at the last bill we had before we dropped cable, the cable portion of the bill was only $46, granted we only had had basic + 1 $10 package and no HBO or premium stuff.

Internet is about 80/month for us but can be 120+ if you need faster connection/more data.

Must have cheap insurance in ON, car insurance alone for us is 120 something a month and that is with the max discount, 42% or whatever it is, maybe it's 40%.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 31st 2015 at 5:12 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP who seems to be stuck on spending $320k for a property, to live a frugal lifestyle with two kids!. Is that doable anywhere in BC, that the OP can still find work (25hrs/wk at minimum wage) as well as live on $24k/yr?

Thats what the OP posted their plan was

Southern Ontario is doable if the OP wants Stoney Creek - buys a 3 bedroom bungalow with a basement apartment that they can rent out for $1000/mth
Over 5000 properties in BC under $320k according to MLS.ca

Here is just 3 that I found in 1 minute on Vancouver Island:

#34-711 MALONE ROAD, LADYSMITH, British Columbia V9G1S5 - 396457 | Realtor.ca

8007 GREENDALE ROAD, LAKE COWICHAN, British Columbia V0R2G0 - 366794 | Realtor.ca

1117 CLOKE ROAD, LADYSMITH, British Columbia V9G1A3 - 395931 | Realtor.ca

All well within budget.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

I like # 2 although kind of a small town, but suppose if you didn't need a job it would be a good place to retire potentially.

Chilliwack would be a better option if someone needs to work, but the house may need to be a fixer upper.

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P1Z7

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P2J6

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P5S6

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P6V4

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P4T1

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P2Z6

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V2P7M8

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 31st 2015 at 5:41 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I like # 2 although kind of a small town, but suppose if you didn't need a job it would be a good place to retire potentially.
That was the first town I clicked on.

I'm guessing there will be a correlation between prices and job availability but I have no idea.

They don't sound picky on the job front.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JamesM
That was the first town I clicked on.

I'm guessing there will be a correlation between prices and job availability but I have no idea.

They don't sound picky on the job front.
I added some for Chilliwack still under 320k, better if one has any desire or need to work, and more amenities as well.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

$100 for cable? Looking at the last bill we had before we dropped cable, the cable portion of the bill was only $46, granted we only had had basic + 1 $10 package and no HBO or premium stuff.

Internet is about 80/month for us but can be 120+ if you need faster connection/more data.

Must have cheap insurance in ON, car insurance alone for us is 120 something a month and that is with the max discount, 42% or whatever it is, maybe it's 40%.
Out of curiosity, since money is very tight for you guys, why do you pay so much for Internet?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Cranbrook, BC gets you a house in their range for much cheaper.

2601 4TH Street South , Cranbrook, British Columbia V1C5C5 - 2407481 | Realtor.ca

And while we're at it, JSmith, why don't you move there and by that house you want. Your monthly housing spend will be similar than what you pay for rent. You can get a decent 3 bed house with a garden for well under $200k. No excuses. "International" airport, close to the border, skiiing, good amenities, open space, long hot summers, not too harsh winters. More sunshine than most areas in BC.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by el_richo
Out of curiosity, since money is very tight for you guys, why do you pay so much for Internet?
Wife needs it for work.
Useful tool for paying bills, reading news, entertainment, communicating with family back in California, best tool for looking for jobs since many places that post ad's I have never head of and would never had found them otherwise.

Need something to pass time, and stay occupied, I'd go nuts if there was no internet and no tv, keeps me busy.

Cranbrook, BC gets you a house in their range for much cheaper.

2601 4TH Street South , Cranbrook, British Columbia V1C5C5 - 2407481 | Realtor.ca

And while we're at it, JSmith, why don't you move there and by that house you want. Your monthly housing spend will be similar than what you pay for rent. You can get a decent 3 bed house with a garden for well under $200k. No excuses. "International" airport, close to the border, skiiing, good amenities, open space, long hot summers, not too harsh winters. More sunshine than most areas in BC.
When/If we can qualify for a mortgage (we currently can't) we will go where we can find a place we can get, and find a job. We have to boost our income, and also save a down payment so it will be sometime before we could even consider owning anywhere.

We have a couple potentials on the Island as well.

I like the house, not sure a bank would ever give us a mortgage with 10% down though on one that high, on our current income, if income can go up, things would obviously change.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 31st 2015 at 6:13 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:56 pm
Beep

Wife needs it for work.
Useful tool for paying bills, reading news, entertainment, communicating with family back in California, best tool for looking for jobs since many places that post ad's I have never head of and would never had found them otherwise.

Need something to pass time, and stay occupied, I'd go nuts if there was no internet and no tv, keeps me busy.
You can get a decent one for about $160k

As for internet, i doubt you need the speed you have so why don't you drop down and save money? Just a thought anyway. 15mbs with telus is $60 per month. Stupid expensive but cheaper than you pay now.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

You can get a decent one for about $160k

As for internet, i doubt you need the speed you have so why don't you drop down and save money? Just a thought anyway. 15mbs with telus is $60 per month. Stupid expensive but cheaper than you pay now.
I made a mistake for the internet, it's actually cheaper by 17 dollars. $63 per month.

Speed of 15, data of 150gb.

Next level down and the cheapest is $53 data limit is 65, speed for that one is 5.

Looking at the average so far this year our monthly average is 88gb of data per month.

We tried last year to switch to Telus as they had a promotion which would have saved us a bit of money, but they wanted a 300 deposit, so we didn't switch.

Same on the island in some parts, few houses I've seen over there for 160-180k, just not sure what our limit would be mortgage wise on our current income if we could even get one (provided we had 10% down, and such.)

I haven't checked the interior further north yet, did find some further north in like Prince George, but I think that may be a bit too far and costs quite a a lot to fly from there as well, so it's not as ideal as being further south.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 31st 2015 at 7:52 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samibench
My kids are 15 and 11 years old,I guess we won't need any child care and they're are both on board for the adventure!
Whoa, let's back up a bit:

(I wasn't going to comment until I saw this)

You mention snow sports. Have you factored in costs for that? As well as other activities?

Public school /= "free" here: books, stationery, fixed fees for whatever (sometimes it's not even clear what for), mandatory (sometimes) contributions to various funds; very few sporting activities through school, so Tirytory's swimming club example *is* relevant...

I'm not saying it can't be done; I've posted here before about living/raising a family on a lot less than other BE posters would consider a viable income. However, I do think your expectations may be unrealistic. And that's only thinking about child/school related stuff...
Old Sep 1st 2015, 1:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps I missed something. My understanding is that the gist of the idea is to move to a shitty part of Ontario so the four of you can survive in poverty. I wouldn't do that.

Why not move to Hull instead? That saves on fares and the children will be eligible for whatever grants/loans are still available for university students in the UK. It also a shitty place to live. It's not as cold and damp as south-western Ontario but being brassic should make it feel the same.
I'm from that area and couldn't agree more. If/when I ever move back to Canada it won't be to the Hamilton area (Stoney Creek is close enough to be part of Hamilton). I'd like to move to maybe Kingston/Brockville area but after over 9 years in Australia I'm afraid the winters would kill me.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm from that area and couldn't agree more. If/when I ever move back to Canada it won't be to the Hamilton area (Stoney Creek is close enough to be part of Hamilton). I'd like to move to maybe Kingston/Brockville area but after over 9 years in Australia I'm afraid the winters would kill me.
I'm curious as to the differences between Kingston/Brockville area and "around the corner" to Hamilton area. (not just weather related)

When, a few weeks ago, I discovered just how much more snow we get here than so many other places, the former seemed to get quite a bit more of the stuff than Hamilton, maybe as much as 50% more.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 1st 2015 at 3:07 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What's wrong with Hamilton? (I've never been there and just curious.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.