Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My reason for immigrating to Canada

Wikiposts

My reason for immigrating to Canada

Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:08 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My reason for immigrating to Canada

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Probably mad at me for comments I made in the Various Questions thread this morning

In the spirit of things Welcome to Canada/Bienvenue

BTW I just checked the WalMart flyer theres a sale on Senses of Humour in aisle 5 not to be confused with the sarcasm.
A border guard complaining that a mod doesn't have a sense of humour. Hahhahaha - I'm having an irony overload.

Look, FL, this could have been an interesting thread about debt and the Canadian economy (things that amarflora actually discussed in their post) but no, you have to spread your persecution complex all over it.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:11 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amarflora
Hi Alan,

I usually do not trust the figures and rather do my own research and go by my own experiences. I can see here in canada that there is a huge percentage of immigrants who arrived here fairly recently have a well established business and income which is absent in the UK! Also, view my post as a prospective of a new immigrant in the UK vs Canada!

Almost every immigrant I know of in the UK is unhappy with the way things are going and are planning to move somewhere else because of instability and economic downfall!

P.S. - I am a guy-flora is my surname. lol.

Thanks!
Sure. It's just that one symptom of the thing you say is an advantage to being here (it's easier to get credit) is that everyone is in more debt (there's this myth that Canadian banks only lend responsibly - the figures say otherwise). My view is that long term, Canada is going to do better than other places cos it's energy rich - you, as an individual, just have to make sure you are on the right side of that equation.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Probably mad at me for comments I made in the Various Questions thread this morning
I haven't checked that thread today as it happens, but your 'sense of humour' isn't terribly welcoming for newbies who don't know you and your background, so maybe you could keep it to appropriate threads? If you do feel the urge to post on a newbie's thread, then a simple 'welcome to BE' will suffice.

<wanders off to check the Various Questions thread>
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
There are other countries with even higher ratios (e.g. Holland and Denmark).
Originally Posted by Alan2005
Source? I am going by this - it's a year old, but I don't think the dutch economy has changed that since then.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome
Here's an article from earlier this month:

http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2011/1...dutch-edition/

"Dutch household debt exceeds 240% of disposable income, the highest level in the euro zone."

Here's another recent article:

http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2011/101411.htm

"...Denmark stands out with gross household debt at 300 percent of disposable income."

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 16th 2011 at 7:24 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:28 am

"Dutch household debt exceeds 240% of disposable income, the highest level in the euro zone."
Ah, yes. You did mention that you were talking about disposable income in your post. I wonder what the Canadian, UK, US figures for that are (either way those figures are bleak for those economies - servicing current debt might not be a problem, but taking on new debt might be).

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 16th 2011 at 7:30 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another recent article:

http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2011/101411.htm

"...Denmark stands out with gross household debt at 300 percent of disposable income."
Ah, yes. You did mention that you were talking about disposable income in your post. I wonder what the Canadian, UK, US figures for that are (either way those figures are bleak for those economies - servicing current debt might not be a problem, but taking on new debt might be).
Canada just hit 153% which I believe is not much more than the UK and US (although they may not have released recent figures). As I said earlier, according to a report I read recently, the UK is projected to be at 175% by 2015.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:01 am

As I said earlier, according to a report I read recently, the UK is projected to be at 175% by 2015.
Canada's went up 2.5% in the last three months - what do you think trend ends up with in 2015? Well over 200%.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Canada's went up 2.5% in the last three months - what do you think trend ends up with in 2015? Well over 200%.
Who knows? But I doubt that simply extrapolating 3 months worth of data by another 4 years is going to give you the correct answer.

But the outlook certainly looks bleak in the UK:

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/blog/household-debt-up

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 16th 2011 at 10:08 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:35 am

Who knows? But I doubt that simply extrapolating 3 months worth of data by another 4 years is going to give you the correct answer.
My point was that finding some report that makes a stab at what the UK's personal debt will be 4 years is all very well. However, right now, Canadians are carrying more debt and the trend in both countries is up.

But the outlook certainly looks bleak in the UK:

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/blog/household-debt-up
Who said it wasn't? I'm not defending the UK's economic record - I'm saying Canada is in the exact same mess and it's only going to get worse.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not defending the UK's economic record - I'm saying Canada is in the exact same mess and it's only going to get worse.
What you actually said is that Canadians are the #1 debtors in the world. That's clearly not true.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:41 am

What you actually said is that Canadians are the #1 debtors in the world. That's clearly not true.
Not at all . The only comparative report I've seen is the one I linked earlier - to requote it for you:
Canadians' debt-to-income ratio now ranks first among 20-advanced countries in the OECD
Yes - it's a year old. But you think that household debt in denmark has doubled in one year?

Also, debt-to-income and debt-to-disposable income are different measures. You can argue the relative merits of each one, however this doesn't alter the fact that Canadians are more in debt than the Americans or the British by either measure.

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 16th 2011 at 11:45 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all . The only comparative report I've seen is the one I linked earlier - to requote it for you:

Yes - it's a year old. But you think that household debt in denmark has doubled in one year?

Also, debt-to-income and debt-to-disposable income are different measures. You can argue the relative merits of each one, however this doesn't alter the fact that Canadians are more in debt than the Americans or the British by either measure.
I'm a bit confused about terms here. What's the technical definition of "disposable income"?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm a bit confused about terms here. What's the technical definition of "disposable income"?
I always thought it was income after paying taxes and debts, but according to googling it's just income after paying tax. In which case progressive european countries are going to look more indebted than they are because of the relatively high taxation.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought it was income after paying taxes and debts, but according to googling it's just income after paying tax. In which case progressive european countries are going to look more indebted than they are because of the relatively high taxation.
I'm in agreement with your definition.

The problem with disposable income is it does not factor in VAT or HST- nor the unspoken of "no competition" tax in Canada that leads us all to pay higher prices for products that we have less choice of.

I am a big admirer of the Big Mac Index in the Economist for understanding cost of living in a western country.

In fairness Canada is often regarded in business publications as a great place to do business. Probably down to the bank loans and lapsed regulation. The fact that the typical local is a numpty probably helps.........

Last edited by JamesM; Dec 17th 2011 at 1:31 am.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:35 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amarflora
Hi Guys,

I moved to Toronto in January for pursuance of my furtehr studies. Let me give you a brief into about myself. I immigrated to UK in 2005 for my undergraduate studies and lived in UK for almost 6 years. I still remmebr I used to be very confident about living in the UK at that time beacuse the state of the economy wasn't bad. I was able to secure 'quality' part-time jobs during my studies and things were looking good. Upon completion of my studies, I was able to find a graduate job in 2008 and things started deteriorating afterwords..
Unskilled jobs you mentioned.

I counted 4 spelling mistakes in your first paragraph.

The only surprise I have is that Novocastrian has not pointed it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.