Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My plan; please appraise!

Wikiposts

My plan; please appraise!

Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:23 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Plan

ElishaScott - I notice form your profile that you're under 35. If thats the case you could consider getting a BUNAC non-student one year working holiday visa. This gives you an open work permit, which would enable you to work in Canada straight away, and is valid for a year (which should cover you until AIP is rec'd).

It takes under 2 months from filling in the forms, to getting the visa, but there are a limited number of visas available each year.
Check out BUNAC - Work Canada

Good luck!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:30 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
ElishaScott - I notice form your profile that you're under 35.
Good catch, Rob_999.

It illustrates how helpful it is when posters provide background information about themselves, as ElishaScott did.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:58 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElishaScott

I know Vancouver is expensive, and the job market competitive, but as far as culture and creative industries is concerned (where my qualifications are) and existing contacts it is our best bet... And for the person who says why don't I stay here... have you been to the UK recently? It's not the place it was even just a couple of years ago. I have better plans for my daughter!

From small acorns...
Erm...have you been to Vancouver lately? What was it that you do for a living? Arts & Heritage Education? There isn't much going and there are people with anthropology degrees and tourism type degrees who are unemployed by the dozen.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:48 am
Just Joined

ElishaScott is an unknown quantity at this point

Rob
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Rob, you're a star! Thank you. Sometimes it is right to be truthful about your age!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Default Arts and heritage

Yes if you read the thread you'd note I was in Vancouver last year. My line of work is nothing to do with anthropology or tourism! I haven't the faintest idea about either!

I do know that Parks Canada is one of the most respected environmental/cultural organisations in the world, the Winter Olympics encourage hundreds/thousands of culture related jobs in the lead up, Vancouver is a major Arts centre and BC's Universities, especially Simon Fraser, are major players in arts and social sciences. Vancouver has fantastic museums, galleries, theatres and public art. Municipal museum and heritage Interpretation is so much slicker than the UK.

The idea that graduates from the arts and humanities end of the scale are more likely to be unemployed is a global myth. Cultural industries are the way forward for western economies and statistics prove it.

A recent survey in Canada shows that arts and social science graduates are significantly LESS likely to be unemployed in comparison with technical or vocational graduates (5.8 percent arts, 9.3 percent tech/voc). Similarly a recent Vancouver Sun article showed that BC employers in the "knowledge economy" look more for 'transferable' skills offered by what Canadians call "liberal education", not a term I am familiar with or necessarily like, but what I have had!:

"the majority of the innovators, managers and workers in the knowledge economy learned the finer points of thinking and communicating through what traditionally is called a “liberal education.”

I think once I am "in there" I should be able to carve out a successful career in a related field, although I am prepared to change careers.

Some people write very negative posts on this site!
I am a can-do person most of the time and a will-do person on a good day!

ES
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:49 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arts and heritage

Yes if you read the thread you'd note I was in Vancouver last year. My line of work is nothing to do with anthropology or tourism! I haven't the faintest idea about either!

I do know that Parks Canada is one of the most respected environmental/cultural organisations in the world, the Winter Olympics encourage hundreds/thousands of culture related jobs in the lead up, Vancouver is a major Arts centre and BC's Universities, especially Simon Fraser, are major players in arts and social sciences. Vancouver has fantastic museums, galleries, theatres and public art. Municipal museum and heritage Interpretation is so much slicker than the UK.

The idea that graduates from the arts and humanities end of the scale are more likely to be unemployed is a global myth. Cultural industries are the way forward for western economies and statistics prove it.

A recent survey in Canada shows that arts and social science graduates are significantly LESS likely to be unemployed in comparison with technical or vocational graduates (5.8 percent arts, 9.3 percent tech/voc). Similarly a recent Vancouver Sun article showed that BC employers in the "knowledge economy" look more for 'transferable' skills offered by what Canadians call "liberal education", not a term I am familiar with or necessarily like, but what I have had!:

"the majority of the innovators, managers and workers in the knowledge economy learned the finer points of thinking and communicating through what traditionally is called a “liberal education.”

I think once I am "in there" I should be able to carve out a successful career in a related field, although I am prepared to change careers.

ES

Well good for you. Harness all that will-do theory and enthusiasm and have fun exploring your dreams. Do let us all know how you get on, actually living here with the reality of a small job market continues to be a learning experience for us all. Your experience will be valued.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Cultural industries are the way forward for western economies and statistics prove it.

Unfortunately most of those are based on personal experience and trying to warn the optimistic, or at least lighten the rose tint on the specs.

What exactly happens to a service industry based culture when there is no longer any manufacturing to generate "value added" money for the economy. Will we all be servicing each other? Surely at some point someone has to make something to sell dont they?

Its rather scary looking at the number of both manufacturing and service industry jobs that are shipped offshore for cheaper labour rates in the less developed world. Oh well, I guess they cant move the Olympics to china...well there is the Beijing games...but you know what I mean.

Its interesting to compare unemployment rates. I'd be interested to know what the median income is for those employed in the two groups too. My suspicion is that although employment rates might be higher overall, average renumeration might not be as high. But I dont really know. Average salary for an inexperienced new grad engineer in Ontario was $48k in 2004. That rose to ~$70k for mid career level . I also suspect that the reason for the employment rates is due to the reverberations from the dot com bust. Labour markets tend to be self adjusting, as one skill becomes hard to find, renumeration for it goes up and it attracts more incoming talent. With the dot com boom there was a lot of demand, but by the time people got trained the demand had gone?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:38 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by iaink
Unfortunately most of those are based on personal experience and trying to warn the optimistic, or at least lighten the rose tint on the specs.

What exactly happens to a service industry based culture when there is no longer any manufacturing to generate "value added" money for the economy. Will we all be servicing each other? Surely at some point someone has to make something to sell dont they?

Its rather scary looking at the number of both manufacturing and service industry jobs that are shipped offshore for cheaper labour rates in the less developed world. Oh well, I guess they cant move the Olympics to china...well there is the Beijing games...but you know what I mean.

Its interesting to compare unemployment rates. I'd be interested to know what the median income is for those employed in the two groups too. My suspicion is that although employment rates might be higher overall, average renumeration might not be as high. But I dont really know. Average salary for an inexperienced new grad engineer in Ontario was $48k in 2004. That rose to ~$70k for mid career level . I also suspect that the reason for the employment rates is due to the reverberations from the dot com bust. Labour markets tend to be self adjusting, as one skill becomes hard to find, renumeration for it goes up and it attracts more incoming talent. With the dot com boom there was a lot of demand, but by the time people got trained the demand had gone?

I can already see a rose tinting problem...believing the hype that SFU are "major players" in the Arts and Social Sciences...oh dear...and these elusive BC employers who are seeking transferable skills in the "knowledge economy"...possibly, if you are a born and bred Canadian. The playing field is not level in BC. But it has damn fine scenery....

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 6th 2006 at 5:02 am.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:44 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
The paying filed is not level in BC. But it has damn fine scenery....
Well, those beautiful mountains arent really conducive to level anything are they?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:49 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I can already see a rose tinting problem...believing the hype that SFU are "major players" in the Arts and Social Sciences...oh dear...and these elusive BC employers who are seeking transferable skills in the "knowledge economy"...possibly, if you are a born and bred Canadian. The paying filed is not level in BC. But it has damn fine scenery....
Bang on the button again I see ?

Most BC business managers can't see transferable skills if they were rammed down their throat using a boxing glove and with half a housebrick for stuffing. Many BC employers only care that you can speak English goddammit, have all fingers and toes present and are x'th generation Canadian and at least know one of their friends or relatives, are in the yacht club/ski patrol/etc....

All the crap about Olympics 2010 is about the huge construction boom, and the profits to be made from it, and a mediocre low end wage service sector boom needing a supply of eager young pups looking for some life experience and $9 an hour in shared bunks. So if you want 'culture' in BC go work in a ski/board/bike/hike store - that's BC culture for you, OP.

Rich.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:35 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, those beautiful mountains arent really conducive to level anything are they?
You should see them today - glorious sunshine off a snow-capped Mt Cheam from my garden. I love days off...
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:27 am
Just Joined

william_gower is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree,

I moved to Vancouver last year and (being very honest) found finding work allot harder than in London, UK. However there is plenty of work to be found in Vancouver, getting to the jobs is just different. One bit of advice I can offer is getting work in Vancouver is all about who you know. Very few jobs are posted and networking is very big here.

Dont be disheartened with finding work and if you can plan not to work for a month or so just so you can get your feet wet with the differences between the UK and Vancouver, its all worth while in the end.

William

ES