Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:06 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe not the concrete covered bits, but there is no obligation to live in a concrete covered bit.

A day never goes by when I dont appreciate the view on my drive home.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...e/e87a8dde.jpg

We have been in Canada 3 yrs (almost) and we still like it lots. We now live in Ajax. OH works near Kingston Lawrence and its ok there, not a place i would live but ok.

I work all over the GTA and sit around the nicer areas, and scummy streets in my car. Did the same in the UK and i prefer it here. Although there are a few places that i feel uncomfy sitting around, J&F is one, Etobocoke near martin grove rd & eglinton. They are all on a par with Moss Side or Park estate (South Kirby )

Last edited by magnumpi; Jul 25th 2011 at 4:47 am.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its funny everyone is quick to steer people away from moving to Canada but live there themselves lol.

Good job I don't let people decide for me what I am going to do with my live, its all well and good saying move to another part of the UK. I have lived in most parts of the UK and the feeling is always the same as I am still in the UK.

I can't wait to move and start my new family life as all the cons that have been listed are not a con to me or don't bother me.

Each to there own I guess
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ANDREW83F
Spot on, its nice to hear something positive. Visiting is something we were not sure about because of the costs but alot of people recommending it so maybe something we should defo be looking at yes.

Optimistic and open minded, thats right. As i have said to numerous people i understand there are cons but its the pros of moving that excite us.

Thanks again and keep us up to date with your progress!
Don't let anyone put you off. Ask questions on here as its a good place for answers and just wade through the negative posts and you will find some real gems of advice.

Good luck on your journey and I hope it goes well
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neolight90
Don't let anyone put you off. Ask questions on here as its a good place for answers and just wade through the negative posts....
Plus, take a browse through the posting history of some responders - even on completely different topics - and that might help you identify the tongue in cheek comments or decide who to pay more attention too.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny everyone is quick to steer people away from moving to Canada but live there themselves lol.

Good job I don't let people decide for me what I am going to do with my live, its all well and good saying move to another part of the UK. I have lived in most parts of the UK and the feeling is always the same as I am still in the UK.

I can't wait to move and start my new family life as all the cons that have been listed are not a con to me or don't bother me.

Because they were once like you
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Because they were once like you
I was going to say, thats another pro comment about canada from someone who hasnt actualy lived here yet
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:45 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I find it funny the number of people who blame the UK for their woes..instead of looking at themselves first. Then find they have the same issues in Canada. You can run away from a place or a country but you cant runaway from yourself.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:50 am
Just Joined

ANDREW83F is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't let anyone put you off. Ask questions on here as its a good place for answers and just wade through the negative posts and you will find some real gems of advice.

Good luck on your journey and I hope it goes well

Thanks, I wont let anyone put me off. I totally agree with you about the UK and getting away from it. Not Once have i said that by moving away i will be moving to somewhere that doesnt have problems and is a life of bliss.

I am not naieve. But its not just about pros and cons, its about getting out of here and going on an adventure, trying something different. I dont want to be stuck in a rut. If it turns out to be a expensive mistake...hey ho........but read........ITS BETTER TO TRY AND FAIL THAN FAIL TO TRY. thats my personal opionon.

Thanks for your positive attitude and good luck to you as well
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Plus, take a browse through the posting history of some responders - even on completely different topics - and that might help you identify the tongue in cheek comments or decide who to pay more attention too.
Very interesting point and agree with you, some people are out for some people. I do appreciate negative comments because they are good to hear as well but not one has put me off.

I would rather hear from people who have lived in both countries as their opinions are from experience but its good to hear from brits and canadians too.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

soconnell74 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I wont let anyone put me off. I totally agree with you about the UK and getting away from it. Not Once have i said that by moving away i will be moving to somewhere that doesnt have problems and is a life of bliss.

I am not naieve. But its not just about pros and cons, its about getting out of here and going on an adventure, trying something different. I dont want to be stuck in a rut. If it turns out to be a expensive mistake...hey ho........but read........ITS BETTER TO TRY AND FAIL THAN FAIL TO TRY. thats my personal opionon.

Thanks for your positive attitude and good luck to you as well [/COLOR]
I think that's absolutely the right attitude. I came over for an adventure and stayed because I liked the place. Everyone's experience is different, but starting with the right attitude will carry you a long way. I've been here 11 years and I'm still loving it... best of luck.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I find it funny the number of people who blame the UK for their woes..instead of looking at themselves first. Then find they have the same issues in Canada. You can run away from a place or a country but you cant runaway from yourself.
I disagree, the housing market, shit weather, yob culture....these are not things that can be changed by us.

And you do get struck in a rut, im guessing you could rack up a list of cons about your country as well......but by moving it revitilises you as a person and you become more outgoing and adveturous......or i will.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Shit weather for one can be. Not all of the UK has "scottish" drecht. The gulf stream runs past Devon, Palm trees grow in the south coast riviera, and the sun shines most of the summer long in east anglia.

You dony know shit weather till you car is iced over and its minum 25, although thats unlikely to feature in coastal BC weather. There they just get months of overcast rainy weather....

The housing market in Canada can be similar to the UK, only without as much growth. Prices in Vancouver average at $800k. £150k buys you a 3 bed semi in West Kirby, Wirral, decent weather (all the rain falls on Wales), outstanding schools, just up the road from the millionare footballers.

Yob culture is a funny one. People seem afraid of it, but is there any in your area? None in my Dads village, none in Woking. Substitute Gangs in major Canadian cities and you have the same localised trouble spots.

Come for an adventure for sure, its why I came, but come without rose tinted specs and expect it to cost a lot.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 25th 2011 at 8:08 am.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:06 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, the housing market, shit weather, yob culture....these are not things that can be changed by us.

And you do get struck in a rut, im guessing you could rack up a list of cons about your country as well......but by moving it revitilises you as a person and you become more outgoing and adveturous......or i will.
Canada isnt my country i just happen to live here..but i wouldnt blame Canada if my life was shit either..and my life being crap would have f all to do with the housing market, shit weather or yob culture...you are the only person that gets yourself stuck in a rut.

Anybody can be just as successful in the UK as they can in Canada.. there is no such word as cant.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Canada isnt my country i just happen to live here..but i wouldnt blame Canada if my life was shit either..and my life being crap would have f all to do with the housing market, shit weather or yob culture...you are the only person that gets yourself stuck in a rut.

Anybody can be just as successful in the UK as they can in Canada.. there is no such word as cant.
Eh, myy life is not shit!! when have i ever said that!? if i decide in the future not to make the move i will continue living here, being happy and having a great time with my partner and son/daughter(on its way! ) I love Scotland in many ways
But............the weather etc and all other points i have made make us want a adventure, its nothing to do slating my country. I have came on ghere to find out some info, pros and cons about a country we would lk to move to. We so far like what Canada has to offer us and think there are more pros in moving. Yes there are negative points about Scotland, but positive too and im sure its the same bout Canada.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:07 am
Every day's a school day

Eh, myy life is not shit!! when have i ever said that!? if i decide in the future not to make the move i will continue living here, being happy and having a great time with my partner and son/daughter(on its way! ) I love Scotland in many ways
But............the weather etc and all other points i have made make us want a adventure, its nothing to do slating my country. I have came on ghere to find out some info, pros and cons about a country we would lk to move to. We so far like what Canada has to offer us and think there are more pros in moving. Yes there are negative points about Scotland, but positive too and im sure its the same bout Canada.
im not talking about you specifically..im talking in general about people's reasons for leaving the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.