Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

soconnell74 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It doesn't matter where in the UK I've lived. You haven't been to anywhere properly dodgy in Canada - if you had you wouldn't be making such wild claims.
Jane and Finch, Regent Park, Scarborough I see them regularly and they aren't that bad. Why is it a "wild claim" when somebody doesn't agree with you?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soconnell74
Jane and Finch, Regent Park, Scarborough I see them regularly and they aren't that bad. Why is it a "wild claim" when somebody doesn't agree with you?
It's a wild claim when you make hyperbolic comparisons.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's a wild claim when you make hyperbolic comparisons.
Such as? I merely pointed out my experience of the UK and Canada.. it is you who seem to claim to have encyclopedic knowledge of all Canadian slums it seem...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Such as?
This...

been to lots of bars, lots of shady areas and none compare to a shady area in the UK... not even close.
If you've only been to "shady" bars that are "not even close" in shadiness to bars in the UK then you haven't been to shady bars. It's a pretty simple observation because they almost certainly exist.

I merely pointed out my experience of the UK and Canada.
Person who has nothing bad happen to them says place where nothing bad happened to them isn't as bad as people say.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

"If you've only been to "shady" bars that are "not even close" in shadiness to bars in the UK then you haven't been to shady bars"

That's not the only conclusion from your sentence - the alternative is (as I posit) that worse bars exist in the UK.

"It's a pretty simple observation because they almost certainly exist."

"Almost certainly" ... you seem unconvinced by your own argument...

This conversation is far past the point of being useful, but if you dislike the place so much you really should consider leaving. Personally I've found the place to be great and I'm happy to be on my way to being a citizen... but horses for courses and all that.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:08 pm

if you dislike the place so much you really should consider leaving.
Where did I say that?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

ANDREW83F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furries
No problem at all in answering q's ... I used the forum for just that reason before we moved over!

We both loved living in Scotland; I will be honest, we never found the weather too much of an inconvenience - we have dogs, so were out everyday and I had an outdoor based job ... so weather was not a massive issue for us - although shorts and flip flops are a nice change from year round jeans ... having said that, we will wait and see what 6 months time brings ... we were over in Jan and were in temps at minus 20 so we know it gets cold - its just the length of time its cold for that makes me a bit nervous at the minute!

We have eaten out a fair bit to date - simply as we have just arrived and are awaiting plates etc still to arrive! So far, we have not found this to be substantially cheaper ... there are a lot of options and its very nice sitting out on the beach front in the warmth, but bear in mind there is tax and a tip to add onto the meal prices, and drink is more expensive for some things (although local micro brewery stuff is cheaper and pretty good as well) - all in I reckon that its much of a muchness price wise Scotland vs here to eat out.

The £30k breaks down as follows; dogs, furniture shipping, kennels etc, £12k, deposits on property over here, utilities etc etc (ok, I know these come back, but they are upfront costs) $4k, flights, excess baggage etc for 2, £1500, hotel for a couple of day, car hire (in UK and in Canada after we sold and before we bought) £2000, reccie trips - differ from holidays - £4000 (we made a joint trip in Jan, and two seperate trips each between then and now sorting jobs and rentals), buying all the bits and bobs you need before container arrives, $1000, buying electricals (we had old stuff that would not have worked over here) $3000 ... etc etc. Thats before we have done things likes cars etc etc ... the costs really start to add up. We have been lucky in so far as my OH has relocation expenses - not that they cover all of this - but they ease the pain of it... there are so many costs you don't account for but then discover you need!

In terms of property, in short, yes, pound for dollar, you get more house for the money - BUT this will depend a great deal on location - if you were living in the more desirable 'hoods, you will find this is not the case, and a lot of new subdivisions are very similar to the expanding barrett boxes of scotland - on top of each other and no garden - so again, this depends on location.

It is worth doing - as I say - we are convinced we have made the right decision - but definitely make sure its right for you and you will need jobs unless you have a large fund to keep you going ... best of luck!
Thanks for all that, big help! will come back if have more questions and im sure i will!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
We are planning on moving as soon as possible.

It would be nice if we could go over on a work transfer, but we've given up waiting on that happening and have started the PR process ourselves

If Ailsa gets a transfer then awesome, it will help with relocation costs etc, but we WILL be going regardless

But I would definitely suggest a visit to one of the areas you have your eyes on. I know it's expensive, but it will fill a lot of blanks you have in your head with regards to how an area looks, how the weather is, how people treat you on a day to day basis etc.

We learned a lot on our two week visit. I generally walk about with my rose tinted spectacles on, but to be honest that's just who I am. If you're a miserable person, you'll be miserable in Canada, as is reflected on some of the posts you have, and will, encounter on this forum.

You sound like a positive and optimistic couple, so I reckon you'll do just fine
Spot on, its nice to hear something positive. Visiting is something we were not sure about because of the costs but alot of people recommending it so maybe something we should defo be looking at yes.

Optimistic and open minded, thats right. As i have said to numerous people i understand there are cons but its the pros of moving that excite us.

Thanks again and keep us up to date with your progress!

Last edited by ANDREW83F; Jul 24th 2011 at 9:29 pm. Reason: duplicate
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
We are planning on moving as soon as possible.

It would be nice if we could go over on a work transfer, but we've given up waiting on that happening and have started the PR process ourselves

If Ailsa gets a transfer then awesome, it will help with relocation costs etc, but we WILL be going regardless

But I would definitely suggest a visit to one of the areas you have your eyes on. I know it's expensive, but it will fill a lot of blanks you have in your head with regards to how an area looks, how the weather is, how people treat you on a day to day basis etc.

We learned a lot on our two week visit. I generally walk about with my rose tinted spectacles on, but to be honest that's just who I am. If you're a miserable person, you'll be miserable in Canada, as is reflected on some of the posts you have, and will, encounter on this forum.

You sound like a positive and optimistic couple, so I reckon you'll do just fine
Spot on, its nice to hear something positive. Visiting is something we were not sure about because of the costs but alot of people recommending it so maybe something we should defo be looking at yes.

Optimistic and open minded, thats right. As i have said to numerous people i understand there are cons but its the pros of moving that excite us.

Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Jane and Finch, Regent Park, Scarborough I see them regularly and they aren't that bad.
I don't have need to visit the west end but since you mention Scarborough, where in the UK is there a block of flats with a similar rate of murders to Tuxedo Court? Where is there a place like the rent-geared-to-income buildings at Kingston Road and Lawrence at which the occupants dare not sleep by the windows for well founded fear of catching a stray bullet?

Regent Park has been demolished and not yet rebuilt so, yes, it's pretty safe at the moment.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:21 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANDREW83F

Visiting is essential I suspect.

Did you noticed that nearly all the positive comments are from people who either are just thinking of moving, or who admit to still being in the honeymoon stage of a recent move
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll make a positive comment, we have a good life here. Interesting little town, renovations advancing well, several holidays a year, pool and convertible for the hot weather. Happy dogs of premium varieties. Quality beer and cheese. It's alright!

However here and downtown the streets are thronged by people visibly out of it. They're paying for their crack and meth somehow and that means the idea of a crime free paradise is nonsensical. Traffic is diabolical, highway closures routine and from here to Cabbagetown is a sea of thrown up crappy box houses all of which look the same. A visitor recently commented, I can't remember if this was inspired by Milton, Brampton or Oakville (since I can't tell them apart) "if we wanted to move to Ilford, we'd just just move to Ilford". "Beautiful", Ontario aint.

There, positive and yet balanced!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Beautiful", Ontario aint.
Maybe not the concrete covered bits, but there is no obligation to live in a concrete covered bit.

A day never goes by when I dont appreciate the view on my drive home.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 25th 2011 at 2:08 am.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Visiting is essential I suspect.

Did you noticed that nearly all the positive comments are from people who either are just thinking of moving, or who admit to still being in the honeymoon stage of a recent move
Yes after not Going to visit, its defo a possibility now. I see what you mean, a honeymoon period is always Going to be there. It's good to hear from people who.have been there 2 months, 2 years and 20 years. All helps.

Your view is amazing! I have heard a lot of bad stuff about scenery in Ontario. British Columbia defo our no 1 choice.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:55 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe not the concrete covered bits, but there is no obligation to live in a concrete covered bit.

A day never goes by when I dont appreciate the view on my drive home.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...e/e87a8dde.jpg
Thats cool that you drive to work in a boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.