Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:38 am
Just Joined

ANDREW83F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Find jobs.

No job = life will be shit. More shit in Canada than in the UK.

Good luck!
Thanks, ye we would only consider move with jobs ready.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I have to agree with you on the Scottish weather, it really is a huge issue.

If you are a grass farmer, or a vampire then it's excellent, but I'm neither

When we visited Ontario a few weeks ago, we laughed at how they have weather forecasts that are actually accurate, and compared the equivelent report back home.

It's not that Glasgow has extremely bad weather, it's the fact that you just don't know what it's going to do, EVER, so you need to always prepare for rain.

You could plan a big event, like a wedding, or an outdoor gig for the middle of July, and you would be praying for months that it will stay dry. Sunny and wind-free would be a bonus

I also would agree with the statement of "may as well move to Canada over England". I wouldn't see my family any more either.

thanks, it helps getting someone currently living in Scotland as well to give their views. Your spot on, you cannot plan anything at all outdoors here, only on the day you can make a decision. Its v v annoying.

And thanks for agreeing on that too, if i moved down south yes i would see family at first until it would phase out and id see them just as much as i would in Canada.

Have you conisdered moving or do you just visit?

Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:59 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I have to agree with you on the Scottish weather, it really is a huge issue.

If you are a grass farmer, or a vampire then it's excellent, but I'm neither

When we visited Ontario a few weeks ago, we laughed at how they have weather forecasts that are actually accurate, and compared the equivelent report back home.

It's not that Glasgow has extremely bad weather, it's the fact that you just don't know what it's going to do, EVER, so you need to always prepare for rain.

You could plan a big event, like a wedding, or an outdoor gig for the middle of July, and you would be praying for months that it will stay dry. Sunny and wind-free would be a bonus
Originally Posted by ANDREW83F
thanks, it helps getting someone currently living in Scotland as well to give their views. Your spot on, you cannot plan anything at all outdoors here, only on the day you can make a decision. Its v v annoying.

Hmm. I suggest you don't consider Newfoundland as a potential location. Wonderful place though it is, the weather here can make Scotland look good.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furries
We have just moved over from north of Edinburgh to Ontario - Burlington. Burlington is a smallish city (approx 170,000 according to the sign on the QEW (one of the big roads in)) but is part of the GTA - a conurbation of 5m I think? Maybe more - someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Don't get me wrong in what follows - I love it, we love it, do not regret for a second that we moved... but...

Weather is more settled certainly - 3 weeks in and the temperature has hardly dipped below 20 degrees day or night, and has peaked (with the humiex they talk about over here) in the low 40's. Lovely. Downside of the weather - its all starting to turn brown outside, you need the a/c on all the time, and it can be too warm to do anything ... the insects are a nightmare compared to midges on the east coast - not in numbers, but when they bite, it puts a midge well in its place! So the trade off is warmer, sunny, more predictable perhaps, but that has its downsides too ...

Yes i could believe summers are like that but i would rather my summer was like that than the unpredictabl weather we get. You cant plan anything for the weekend until it comes. Heat can be uncomfortable but id prefer that. HMmm dont lk midgies or mozzies but hey ho!

Food is at least double, if not three times the price of food in Scotland - our grocery bill is huge compared to what it was.
I have heard this yes, do you find yourself eating out more?

Housing - cheaper - BUT you won't see it rise astronomically as it did and may well do again in the UK. Its also way more expensive to sell ... We did really well in Scotland and the nest egg we built up through property has help finance this move ... but I don't think we will ever build that up again through property here...
Well we would be first time buyers, yes a few years ago alot of people in the UK benifted from the market but wherever we are, UK or Canada the mortgage we would be paying would be the same approx but in Canada we would get a much bigger place and more land.

Landscape - flat. Edinburgh is not known for being in the most stunning of Scots landscapes, but it certainly beats the landscape of this part of ON - the escarpment is nice, but not exactly mountainous.
This is why our preference is British Columbia, i agree Edinburgh is beautiful but when you compare the size of the city to Canadian cities Edinburgh is v highly populated. British Columbia has breath taking scenery and that is what has grabbed our eye for where to stay so far but job permitted that might not be the case.

Oh yeah ... and you asked about costs - no idea about electric/gas etc yet - too soon - but cable/broadband/mobiles/home phones etc ... all much more expensive on a like for like basis ...
Again yes i had heard this, bummer! hopefully as we would be getting more house for the money things would near balance out. But its the fact the jobs are bettter paid(fo rmy partner) in Canada that helps these things.
Friends who came over at the same time seem to be finding child activities more expensive as well
not so good as want loads of this!

I could afford to go and see Scotland play in the five nations, no way could I afford to go and see the Toronto baseball or hockey teams play ...

Its not the Nhl games i was reffering to, i understand they are expensive, but the small cities sports, where teams are not as big. I like supporting local teams. These games are slightly cheaper than my local football(soccer) games i go to here. But all in all not too much diff after more research but a bit still.

The cost of moving is high ... I reckon we will be not far of £30k when we are done ...
30k....wow! did you have jobs when you went across? dont mean to be cheeky but what did you spend all the money on? just trying to get help of all the cots ahead if we were to consider this. Did you go across a a coulpe or family and do you keep in regualr contact with family, phones and skype etc?

Do not get me wrong - we are still very much in the honeymoon period of being here and loving it - no way would we consider going back, but I really would stress that it is not utopia by any stretch of the imagination ... we both have better jobs here, which is the principle reason we moved... but as one poster said - same s@@@ different bucket ... really are pros and cons ... but at the minute, on balance, its no better (and no worse) than we were back in Scotland ... just different.
Oh i agree, i dont expect a instant massive impact. We are looking for different, diff culture, people, life, attitude, activities etc.We expect cons, from whatever you do or buy there are cons to Everything but it sthe pros we are looking at and what we want in life

You only get one shot in life.Thanks for your comment, people that have made the move are good to talk to and hope you dont mind me firing questions away!

Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

No problem at all in answering q's ... I used the forum for just that reason before we moved over!

We both loved living in Scotland; I will be honest, we never found the weather too much of an inconvenience - we have dogs, so were out everyday and I had an outdoor based job ... so weather was not a massive issue for us - although shorts and flip flops are a nice change from year round jeans ... having said that, we will wait and see what 6 months time brings ... we were over in Jan and were in temps at minus 20 so we know it gets cold - its just the length of time its cold for that makes me a bit nervous at the minute!

We have eaten out a fair bit to date - simply as we have just arrived and are awaiting plates etc still to arrive! So far, we have not found this to be substantially cheaper ... there are a lot of options and its very nice sitting out on the beach front in the warmth, but bear in mind there is tax and a tip to add onto the meal prices, and drink is more expensive for some things (although local micro brewery stuff is cheaper and pretty good as well) - all in I reckon that its much of a muchness price wise Scotland vs here to eat out.

The £30k breaks down as follows; dogs, furniture shipping, kennels etc, £12k, deposits on property over here, utilities etc etc (ok, I know these come back, but they are upfront costs) $4k, flights, excess baggage etc for 2, £1500, hotel for a couple of day, car hire (in UK and in Canada after we sold and before we bought) £2000, reccie trips - differ from holidays - £4000 (we made a joint trip in Jan, and two seperate trips each between then and now sorting jobs and rentals), buying all the bits and bobs you need before container arrives, $1000, buying electricals (we had old stuff that would not have worked over here) $3000 ... etc etc. Thats before we have done things likes cars etc etc ... the costs really start to add up. We have been lucky in so far as my OH has relocation expenses - not that they cover all of this - but they ease the pain of it... there are so many costs you don't account for but then discover you need!

In terms of property, in short, yes, pound for dollar, you get more house for the money - BUT this will depend a great deal on location - if you were living in the more desirable 'hoods, you will find this is not the case, and a lot of new subdivisions are very similar to the expanding barrett boxes of scotland - on top of each other and no garden - so again, this depends on location.

It is worth doing - as I say - we are convinced we have made the right decision - but definitely make sure its right for you and you will need jobs unless you have a large fund to keep you going ... best of luck!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hmm. I suggest you don't consider Newfoundland as a potential location. Wonderful place though it is, the weather here can make Scotland look good.
thanks for heads up!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I am 28 and my partner is 26, our first baby is due in october cant wait!! this is our main motivation for wanting to relocate from scotland. Better climate(not rain 24/7) , less crime, more oppurtunity, more to do, better education, more friendly....canada seems to fit the profile from our research.We will be looking to move in 3-5 years so we can save and my partner will become either a associate clinical psychologist or clinical psychologist which are both HIGH priority jobs on the canada web sites. We done the points test and we passed. We are just looking for some help as loads to find out.....please help. Our only con is missing family.

As we are going to continue to grow our small family, what are maternity benefits/leave like there? and what is the care like there for pregnant women? do you have to pay for your medical care while pregnant? if a doctor books me off work before my maternity leave is due to start, what happens then? is there "illness" benefit?

how much is childcare/school?

We dont want a big city.......rather have a medium sized ish town city. We would like a good community where we could meet people through our kids.
What are electricty costs like compared to britan and internet, phone, and petrol.

I know alot of these questions can have lots of different answers, but just if you could give me some sort of an idea. and if you only know an answer to one question, then please tell me!!! and I am not looking to go there and sponge off of your country, just these things do come into question when thinking of moving to a different country.

Im sorry if this isnt the right place to be asking these questions, but I use a similar site forScotland to ask all the questions i have regarding anything and everything! We would be looking to move, rent first then settle down once we both have full time jobs and evetually buy a house.

Thank you for any answers in advance.
Apart from the crappy weather, comparatively shit education and relatively higher crime rate, you'll love Canada. It's the opportunities.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

And thanks for agreeing on that too, if i moved down south yes i would see family at first until it would phase out and id see them just as much as i would in Canada.

Have you conisdered moving or do you just visit?

We are planning on moving as soon as possible.

It would be nice if we could go over on a work transfer, but we've given up waiting on that happening and have started the PR process ourselves

If Ailsa gets a transfer then awesome, it will help with relocation costs etc, but we WILL be going regardless

But I would definitely suggest a visit to one of the areas you have your eyes on. I know it's expensive, but it will fill a lot of blanks you have in your head with regards to how an area looks, how the weather is, how people treat you on a day to day basis etc.

We learned a lot on our two week visit. I generally walk about with my rose tinted spectacles on, but to be honest that's just who I am. If you're a miserable person, you'll be miserable in Canada, as is reflected on some of the posts you have, and will, encounter on this forum.

You sound like a positive and optimistic couple, so I reckon you'll do just fine
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:42 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apart from the crappy weather, comparatively shit education and relatively higher crime rate, you'll love Canada. It's the opportunities.
For the children ?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

soconnell74 is on a distinguished road

I saw that crime rate came up a few times on this thread. My experience of the crime rate in Canada is so much better than the UK. In my home town in the UK I'd see a fight every time I went out to a pub at the weekend and then there are all those little gangster wannabes.

I've been in Toronto for 11 years now and have never seen a single serious argument really. I find that there is no real parallel between a bad area in the UK and one in Canada. I'm sure stuff happens but that has been my experience anyway.

I met my wife over here and we now have a little one, there is no way I'd want to bring her up in the town I grew up in now.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soconnell74
In my home town in the UK I'd see a fight every time I went out to a pub at the weekend and then there are all those little gangster wannabes.

I've been in Toronto for 11 years now and have never seen a single serious argument really.
I accept that if you came from an unpleasant part of the UK life is better in Toronto but, in Toronto, people get shot every weekend, there are fights that put people in hospital every day. If you saw this stuff in the UK and not in Canada I think that's because you go to different places, the change is in age, not location.

And as for gangster wannabies, ptw, you don't see wiggers all over Scarborough?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I accept that if you came from an unpleasant part of the UK life is better in Toronto but, in Toronto, people get shot every weekend, there are fights that put people in hospital every day. If you saw this stuff in the UK and not in Canada I think that's because you go to different places, the change is in age, not location.

And as for gangster wannabies, ptw, you don't see wiggers all over Scarborough?
I'm not claiming that nothing happens here in Toronto, just that its nowhere near as dangerous as some would have you believe. Like I said, I've been here 11 years and was 25 when I came over... been to lots of bars, lots of shady areas and none compare to a shady area in the UK... not even close.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

been to lots of bars, lots of shady areas and none compare to a shady area in the UK... not even close.
Then you didn't go to proper shady areas.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Then you didn't go to proper shady areas.
At the risk of getting into a my towns tougher than your town contest, I beg to differ. If your experience of the UK was peachy then that's great.. it just wasn't mine. Personally I've always found Canada to be both friendly and safe... just some terrible drivers in Toronto though http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of getting into a my towns tougher than your town contest, I beg to differ. If your experience of the UK was peachy then that's great.. it just wasn't mine. Personally I've always found Canada to be both friendly and safe... just some terrible drivers in Toronto though http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif
It doesn't matter where in the UK I've lived. You haven't been to anywhere properly dodgy in Canada - if you had you wouldn't be making such wild claims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.