My Dream

Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:55 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: manitoba canada
Posts: 49
Edward de Par is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Dream

Does "Igloo" have a website?
Edward de Par is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:52 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Patsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 353
Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by Edward de Par
Does "Igloo" have a website?
yes www.iglucanada.com
Patsy is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:06 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: manitoba canada
Posts: 49
Edward de Par is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Dream

Cheers!
Edward de Par is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:21 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 557
seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by great46
My dream is to live in a friendly neighbourhood in a nice big house, with a nice big car, to be able to afford to go out at weekends, for the children to have lots to do, clubs, sport etc. for them to be happy at school, to be able to afford a dog and be able to take it for a walk without having to pass teenagers spitting and swearing, my 8 year old gets very afraid when he sees a group of yobs even if my husband is with him at the local park...and for the local paper not to be full of stories of people being mugged and held up at knife point.
I know nowhere is perfect and having a job is crucial no matter where you live, but my husband and I are so fed up with where we live we want to find somewhere better, there must be somewhere better. We have about £200,000. My husband is a qualified, hardworking skilled (and very clever) tradesman.
B]COULD MY DREAM COME TRUE IN CANADA????[/B]
Yes and No would be my answer!
You certainly won't encounter the revolting yob culture in Canada, however if you think you're going to earn UK wages here, FORGET IT! People who have good jobs here will ridicule me endlessly for saying this, but there is really no denying it. The work situation in Canada is utter rubbish. I'm glad for those who found great jobs here, but regardless of what they say they're not the norm. Even most Canadians I meet are fed up of the poor job prospects in Canada. Ironically many leave for the US and Europe to find work.
seacreature is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:11 pm
  #20  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by seacreature
Yes and No would be my answer!
You certainly won't encounter the revolting yob culture in Canada, however if you think you're going to earn UK wages here, FORGET IT! People who have good jobs here will ridicule me endlessly for saying this, but there is really no denying it. The work situation in Canada is utter rubbish. I'm glad for those who found great jobs here, but regardless of what they say they're not the norm. Even most Canadians I meet are fed up of the poor job prospects in Canada. Ironically many leave for the US and Europe to find work.
I don't think there's anything ironic about it. Canada is a sparsely populated country with an economy based on resources and branch plant manufacturing. The firms involved in resource extraction, Shell, Exxon, and so on are not based in Canada. The big manufacturers, GM, Chrysler, Honda and so on are not based in Canada. Any product sold in Canada is marketed to North America as a whole and, obviously, the sales effort concentrates on the areas of greatest population density, the rust belt, the sun belt, not the snow belt. The occupation employing most people in Canada is truck driver; it's all about hauling stuff away.

It is, of course, quite possible to make a living in Canada but, for an immigrant, it would be better to think of the move as being to a far flung corner of the American economy, like going to West Virginia or, in European terms, like going to Portugal. It's just not reasonable to think of a big empty country as having sidewalks paved with gold, for a start there just aren't that many sidewalks. Canada's nice and the pace is mellow but really it is a bit of an economic backwater. Either bring a demand skill, for example an actual trade; plumber, electrician, especially plasterer or get a job before coming.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:02 pm
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 998
SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by dbd33
Canada's nice and the pace is mellow but really it is a bit of an economic backwater.
May I ask if you would be kind enough to put some bones on this statement out of curiosity?
SANDRAPAUL is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:45 pm
  #22  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
May I ask if you would be kind enough to put some bones on this statement out of curiosity?

Not sure which half you're concerned with.

The mellow pace is reflected in the unhurried motion of the traffic, the lack of crowds and the way people drift along the sidewalk. It's seen in the pace of administrivia, everyone here is familiar with the speed at which immigation permits are issued; that's typical of things here, I guess the word is manana. This afternoon, for example, I'll chat with one of my lawyers about arranging a meeting to discuss a letter that arrived in March, we'll likely meet sometime over the summer. That's not a pace that would be acceptable in the US. I generally like the way nothing in Toronto seems to need doing this week but, from time to time, I miss the adrenaline rush one gets from the hustle and bustle of big cities.

I think I hit the economic bases already. I think the economy is based on natural resources and will be more so in the future. So long as the companies extracting the minerals are foreign, the major decisions affecting the economy will be made abroad. I think it's indirectly because of the branch plant economy that the measure of success for a Canadian is to have left. (The Irvings, the Blacks, not just Shania). Perhaps, rather than Portugal, I should have used Wales; a resource based economy and a place people come from rather than going to.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:22 pm
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 998
SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think I hit the economic bases already. I think the economy is based on natural resources and will be more so in the future. So long as the companies extracting the minerals are foreign, the major decisions affecting the economy will be made abroad. I think it's indirectly because of the branch plant economy that the measure of success for a Canadian is to have left. (The Irvings, the Blacks, not just Shania). Perhaps, rather than Portugal, I should have used Wales; a resource based economy and a place people come from rather than going to.
Sorry - it was the backwater comment...

How do see the Canadian economy over the next 20-30 years as compared to the UK in particular and to a lesser degree Europe?

The wider view rather than the narrow 'I am not getting what I want or deserve' view if you may...
SANDRAPAUL is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:00 pm
  #24  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Sorry - it was the backwater comment...

How do see the Canadian economy over the next 20-30 years as compared to the UK in particular and to a lesser degree Europe?

The wider view rather than the narrow 'I am not getting what I want or deserve' view if you may...
I expect the Canadian economy will become even more resource based. I would think that in twenty years the oil sources just now being developed will account for most of the country's income, Alberta will continue to boom and, shock, horror, the long awaited Newfie boom might actually happen. Water will become an increasing important resource, Canada and the Great Lake States should be able to profit from the construction of all those cities in the desert. I think most white collar jobs will have been exported, I would think it very ill advised to learn computers or accounting now. I'd also be concerned about manufacturing jobs, I think they exist mainly due to some odd politics in the past, the auto pact in particular. It may well be that US policy changes so that it's no longer sensible for Asian car makers to locate their North American plants in Canada. I don't know what might happen to the UK or European economies, I don't really follow politics there anymore.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:54 pm
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 998
SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think most white collar jobs will have been exported
Where to?

Also
The word backwater infers to me to be a slow, in the background/unseen (I assume worldwise), and to a degree recessive economy.

Still curious about the word.

Backwater....to what as a comparison?

One might call Greece as a backwater as relates to France/Germany or the UK in Europe...

To what does Canada become a backwater?
SANDRAPAUL is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:57 pm
  #26  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Where to?

Also
The word backwater infers to a slow, in the background (I assume worldwise), and to a degree recessive economy.

Still curious about the word.

Backwater....to what as a comparison?

One might call Greece as a backwater as relates to France/Germany or the UK in Europe...
The US, of course.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:14 pm
  #27  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 998
SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by dbd33
The US, of course.
Interesting comment. So the fact that the US is the biggest market for Canada due to two reasons as often economies are, cost and the ability to supply quickly due to geography, makes Canada a backwater. I wonder how many Canadians see themselves as a backwater to an economy that would only use their services if the quality, price and service was better than they could find at home....?

As Europe car producers be it local, or far eastern influenced, only do so if it suits their budget and profit accounts. Canada must be able to compete therefore as of now with the giants of the US as per workforce. Does that mean Canada is a backwater?

What I was also hoping for was comment on GDP per Capita, and balance of trade thoughts from someone residing in Canada.

Many people read Canadian residents (born or immigrant) thoughts and I often find little structure to comments made..no offence as you seem to do so, but I was hoping for a little more as per balance of books and the mid term outlook.

I have read in many areas that exports are outstripping imports and there is a growing trade surplus. You might appreciate that for such a small population the aspects as presented in stats seem very good....?

Bones and all that
SANDRAPAUL is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:24 pm
  #28  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
As Europe car producers be it local, or far eastern influenced, only do so if it suits their budget and profit accounts. Canada must be able to compete therefore as of now with the giants of the US as per workforce. Does that mean Canada is a backwater?
I would think the compelling reasons to locate car factories in Canada are :

- low labour cost, compared to the US, primarily because of provincial heathcare schemes

- tariff barriers against vehicles imported to the US from other countries.

What this means is that the manufacture of cars in Canada is the result of government policies, not pure business factors. That being the case, a small shift in the political wind in Washington could wipe the industry out. It's not, in my judgment, an industry for the long term.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:30 pm
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 998
SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would think the compelling reasons to locate car factories in Canada are :

- low labour cost, compared to the US, primarily because of provincial heathcare schemes

- tariff barriers against vehicles imported to the US from other countries.

What this means is that the manufacture of cars in Canada is the result of government policies, not pure business factors. That being the case, a small shift in the political wind in Washington could wipe the industry out. It's not, in my judgment, an industry for the long term.
Sorry. I should not have mentioned the car industry as you have homed in on that aspect which is natural as it relates....

Surely the wider view is of more importance in such a comment as a backwater.

Rover in the UK was up one minute propped up by the government and very unhealthy accounting it seems and down the next.

This isolated aspect does not paint the wider picture.

How long since you lived in Europe/UK?
SANDRAPAUL is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:43 pm
  #30  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dream

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Sorry. I should not have mentioned the car industry as you have homed in on that aspect which is natural as it relates....

Surely the wider view is of more importance in such a comment as a backwater.

Rover in the UK was up one minute propped up by the government and very unhealthy accounting it seems and down the next.

This isolated aspect does not paint the wider picture.

How long since you lived in Europe/UK?
I haven't lived in the UK since 1981 but I do some business there. I talk to clients in the UK every day and visit a couple of times a year.
dbd33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.