Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Multi region DVD

Multi region DVD

Old May 21st 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice
Default Multi region DVD

Hi all,

Does anyone know where i could get a multi region DVD player that will play all my uk DVD's on an NTSC TV? Bought a DVD player from wall Mart the other day that said it plays PAL but did not work as when i put the only UK DVD that i have with me at the moment in it i got a message about the region being wrong? I have a lot of DVD's that i dont really want to get rid of so any help would be appreciated

Thxs
Old May 21st 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi region DVD

Depending upon the DVD player that you bought it may very well be possible to remove the Region Check, often simply using a set of keys strokes on the remote. What type/model is it?
Old May 21st 2008, 6:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deanjp32
Hi all,

Does anyone know where i could get a multi region DVD player that will play all my uk DVD's on an NTSC TV? Bought a DVD player from wall Mart the other day that said it plays PAL but did not work as when i put the only UK DVD that i have with me at the moment in it i got a message about the region being wrong? I have a lot of DVD's that i dont really want to get rid of so any help would be appreciated

Thxs
Regions and Formats are seperate entites as far as DVDs go.

It might well play a non regional PAL disk, but if you ask a region 1 player to play a region 2 disk it wont do it, regardless of format.

As Posi says, you might well be able to unlock it with a bit of homework.

Rumour has it that the cheapest Canadain Tire and Future Shop models are multiformat/ multi region, but brands change all the time, so best bet is to make sure you can exchange if it doesnt do what you want (which Walmart should do without too much fuss in my experience)

Last edited by iaink; May 21st 2008 at 6:22 pm.
Old May 21st 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

I would go and take it back on the grounds that it doesn't do what it says on the box.
Old May 21st 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Which one did you get?

I was happy with the 60 Nortek CAD ones from London Drugs but they did break down every 6 or so mths, so had to be swapped. We don't live near a LD anymore, so I switched to the Walmart Diamond ones at about 25 CAD. They broke down far more often, and refused to play newer R2 ones (particularly ones with kids games on them as "extras") at all so I binned them.

Am now on to Philips 60-ish CAD "will play anything" ones from Walmart, 2 so far, both almost 12mths old, no problems at all. DVP3960 is the model number if you're interested. However, they're not multiregion out of the box - you need to follow these instructions.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

chigirl will become famous soon enoughchigirl will become famous soon enough

hi

i've just bought a phillips region/code free dvd player from www.amazon.com i had to pay a bit more on postage and customs etc... but the picture quality is great and no hassle trying to buy a quality player and then hack/decode ourselves so for us paying a bit more was well worth it.

i've bought cheap ones from wal-mart before (4 in total!) but they are poor quality, therefore you replace them often.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

Just been reading this thread and did not know that DVD's here in uk are different from the ones in Canada.
I was planning on coverting all my old VHS tapes (memories) to DVD for easy transport.
Can anyone advise. Should I just take them with me and covert when I get there or should I be doing something here? Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chigirl
hi

i've just bought a phillips region/code free dvd player from www.amazon.com i had to pay a bit more on postage and customs etc... but the picture quality is great and no hassle trying to buy a quality player and then hack/decode ourselves so for us paying a bit more was well worth it.

i've bought cheap ones from wal-mart before (4 in total!) but they are poor quality, therefore you replace them often.
So you don't want to hear about the hassle we're having trying to get our 6 month old Phillips dvd player repaired (or replaced) under warrenty then? They've had it since November!!
Old May 21st 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

We got a cheapish Philips one from best buy and looked up the hack code for it on google. You just type in a code via the remote control to change the region code...magically it turns into a multi-region dvd player!

I found buying the cheapest possible piece of crap dvd player from Walmart works too, but it skipped when it played and eventually broke.
Old May 21st 2008, 8:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/sto...categoryId=363
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmabell
Just been reading this thread and did not know that DVD's here in uk are different from the ones in Canada.
I was planning on coverting all my old VHS tapes (memories) to DVD for easy transport.
Can anyone advise. Should I just take them with me and covert when I get there or should I be doing something here? Any help would be appreciated.
Video tapes are different in Canada too. Better get your tapes converted in the UK and ask for your DVDs to be region-free (ie Region 0).

Region 0 = worldwide
Region 1 = Canada/USA
Region 2 = UK

I bought 2 dvd players here and used the Videohelp website to hack the region codes. Here is the full list of Hacks on Videohelp

For anyone planning to bring over a multi-region, dual voltage dvd player over from the UK, please change the region from PAL to NTSC BEFORE you leave the UK because if you try to do it over here, your screen will start rolling very fast and you will not be able to see the onscreen instructions

For anyone wanting to purchase UK dvds eg comedy for their multi-region player, www.sendit.com post over to Canada for 1.75 GBP per DVD. Prices are good too!

Last edited by Cookie; May 21st 2008 at 8:07 pm.
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Makes me laugh when people pay over 2k on a HD TV then buy a $30 DVD player ....

Anyway this is the player you want plays any Disc on any region and upscales to 1080p and they deliver to Canada

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html
Old May 21st 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

BATUSVirgin is an unknown quantity at this point

As most of the others have said you should be able to find an unlock code on the internet.
That said this tends to be for the cheaper makes as they tend not to spend the money on encryption to stop people hacking them. I've found hacks for players I've bought in Walmart and Canadian Tyre but couldn't find a hack for my Sony player or my Pioneer one.
Old May 21st 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Yes-can-do;6377087]Video tapes are different in Canada too. Better get your tapes converted in the UK and ask for your DVDs to be region-free (ie Region 0).

Thanks for that, another job to add to the list
Old May 21st 2008, 8:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Any "video professional" should be able to convert PAL format tapes to NTSC or viceversa for you in Canada...for a fee of course.

Its probably just as easy (and cheaper) to download some software and convert your precious pal format home movie tapes into NTSC DVDs on your own PC. Its really not rocket science.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.