MS Help in BC

Old Jan 1st 2019, 8:53 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default MS Help in BC

Howdy, does anyone know of any help or support for sufferers of MS in Vancouver and the suburbs? My brother lives out there and is in pretty bad shape. He caught an infection that has exacerbated his MS and put him in hospital so i'm trying to find out about any possible support he might be able to tap into once he's back in his own place again.

Thanks in advance. Jack (very worried and far away )
Old Jan 1st 2019, 9:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MS Help in BC

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
Howdy, does anyone know of any help or support for sufferers of MS in Vancouver and the suburbs? My brother lives out there and is in pretty bad shape. He caught an infection that has exacerbated his MS and put him in hospital so i'm trying to find out about any possible support he might be able to tap into once he's back in his own place again.

Thanks in advance. Jack (very worried and far away )
Hi Jack. I'm really sorry to hear about your brother's MS, and that he's been so unwell. It's a bugger of a thing.

Regarding help and support, the best place to start would probably be the MS Society in Canada. If you have a look at page 56 onwards in the attached Resource Guide link, there's information and contact numbers for Home and Community care. There appears to be options for short term as well as long term support in the home:
https://mssociety.ca/library/documen...M/original.pdf
https://mssociety.ca/support-service...alley-chapters

It's so worrying when someone we love is both ill and living a long way away. Good on you for looking out for your brother, I hope he's able to get the support he needs. Best wishes.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 9:26 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks i'll take a look and see what's what.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is really not a good place for those with long term illnesses such as MS, Parkinsons, etc.

Much care has actually to be funded privately ............. but the societies are generally excellent, so do make contact with the MS society .............. it's probably better in your brother's case to deal with the LOCAL BC and Yukon branch rather than the Canadian one ........

Google MS BC for more options.

It is a strange feature of Canada's federation of provinces status that provincial chapters of societies such as MS, Parkinson's, cancer etc work and operate independently, and the "xxxxxx Society of Canada" is even more independent and separate.

So always go provincial to get the local advice and help.

We were bitten by the cancer societies years ago when donating in memory of someone finding that donating to the Canadian Cancer Society did b=not filter down and put help where we wanted it to go.

Last edited by scilly; Jan 4th 2019 at 3:49 am.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 3:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Canada is really not a good place for those with long term illnesses such as MS, Parkinsons, etc.

Much care has actually to be funded privately ............. but the societies are generally excellent, so do make contact with the MS society .............. it's probably better in your brother's case to deal with the LOCAL BC and Yukon branch rather than the Canadian one ........

Google MS BC for more options.
Definitely better to go local than national, I put up the same BC and Yukon link.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 10:10 pm
The Dude Abides

Thank you all for this. I'll pass on the details to my brother. He may already know them but it's worth passing them on nonentheless...