Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mrs. Liftman was in the wrong job!!

Mrs. Liftman was in the wrong job!!

Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mrs. Liftman was in the wrong job!!

If Mrs. Liftman had been a stripper - probably the Minister of Immigration might have arrange for her to stay in Canada too!!!!!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...60/?hub=Canada

What a bunch of hogwash. Do we REALLY need to have a special immigration category for strippers for crying out loud??
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Mrs. Liftman was in the wrong job!!

Originally Posted by lizwil98
If Mrs. Liftman had been a stripper - probably the Minister of Immigration might have arrange for her to stay in Canada too!!!!!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...60/?hub=Canada

What a bunch of hogwash. Do we REALLY need to have a special immigration category for strippers for crying out loud??

Perhaps my other profession may cut more ice.

Four years ago I got my diploma's in Aromatherapy, Reflexology and Indian Head Massage. I then went on to do Reiki levels one and two, and have an NVQ in Beauty Therapy. I also run my own beauty and holistic therapy business alongside my NHS career. In fact the last manager of our unit was very pro, as we suffer from a lot of stress in the medical profession. This was allowed within the trust because I carry independant liability insurance to the tune of £3million, as well as being regulated by an international governing body, FIIHHT and FIIHBT (Fellow of the International Institute of Holistic Health Therapists and Fellow of the International Institute of Health and Beauty Therapists)

My other 'talents' were available free of charge to staff and are called upon regularly in order to try and prevent people going sick with minor sprains, strains and headaches. So far no one has actually had to resort to walking off shift due to sickness of this sort.

I have only ever had three or four people (males I have to say) think that they were availing themselves of some other 'profession'. This myth was swiftly dispelled; although I get the feeling they quite enjoyed being put straight!

Last edited by mrs. liftman; Nov 27th 2004 at 10:44 am.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mrs. Liftman was in the wrong job!!

According to today's paper, these so-called exotic dancers that they are letting in - because we have a shortgage of course - are ending up in the sex trade a lot of the time!! Well, what a surprise!! I cannot imagine how that is happening. I would have thought that most exotic dancers would end up as neurosurgeons or something!!!

Old Nov 27th 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

It appears a double edge sword. Most of these women are begging for them not to scrap this "exotic dancer" route because for them, as mostly low education poor people from bad situations in their native country it is their only possible way out and into a better country. Of course because they are usually less educated and possess no real English/French language skills most end up being conned and manipulated when they do arrive here. So it's arguable whether there is any value for them really.

I believe however the specific case with the Minister was different. What she did wash issue a special ministers permit to allow the person to remain in Canada despite her other status expiring. Now anyone can apply for one of these but you need a good reason. Usually they are issued for people who are inadmissable, say for a minor criminal conviction, but whom immigration believe are no threat so say they are married to a Canadian and have a drunk driving conviction from years ago which carries a different criminal punishment in Canada compared to their native country so in their native country it's a minor offence but in Canada it's a more serious one. So they would normally be inadmissable until they got a pardon but they may be issued a permit to allow them entry initially. In fact if you remain in Canada for 3 years on a permit like that you can qualify for PR in special circumstances. So what seems to have happened here is that this woman needed one to remain in the country as her status had expired and because she worked for the immigration ministers campaign office and new her she got it "super quick" as a "special favour". However the media, as expected, instead of latching onto the true issue of should ministers perform favours for friends, instead latch onto the fact she is an exotic dancer and therefore deemed of no worth to society and so it's obviously bad. I wonder what they would have said if she was a doctor or something.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Is this one of those exotic dancers?
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:21 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

She's an exotic roller. We referred her to Australia for fear that our 'natives' would harpoon her.