Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mrs Crispies Rockies Dream

Mrs Crispies Rockies Dream

Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:19 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough
Question Mrs Crispies Rockies Dream

In 2006 my good wife has a big birthday (one with a naught on the end).
She has been sending me very subtle hints in the form of web links like below:
www.rockymountaineer.com
It's her lifetime dream (second to marrying me of course) and I was hoping to find some first hand experiences of the train trips available.
Questions are:
What time of year is best?
Was it good value?
Best itinary ideas?
Are there better companies operating?

Thanks Guys. I know it's a bit premature but looks like I need to start saving
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:56 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mrs Crispies Rockies Dream

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.

My brother was thinking about it for his honeymoon last year and I talked him out of it. They've never stopped thanking me.

Fly to Calgary, hire a car one way and drive it at your leisure to Vancouver being able to stop when you want where you want and fly back from there. The journey through the Rockies and their foothills is far too spectacular, and beautiful (not to mention the wildlife, lakes, activities, gorges ....) to be on a train and stuck to an itenary. Accomodation is good all throughout the Rockies. It's nice to just stop and admire it in the middle apart from the towns.

It's approx 14 hours straight drive Calgary/Vancouver.

July is always good and you can always start with a couple of days at the Stampede in Calgary.

Make an adventure out of it and explore the Rockies, you won't be dissapointed.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:14 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

We did this drive in September 2003, and it was fantastic. Early September was great - good weather (may have been luck) and few people as it was the end of the season.

We saw the train fly past, and although it looked impressive it does limit you. You would miss the whole Icefield Parkway experience for instance...
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A little off topic, but my wife a long time ago took the regular (via rail?) train from Vancouver up to Prince George, and she still goes on about how spectacutar it was even now.

It might be a cheaper option (as the rocky mountaineer is a major tourist trap), and also allow you the freedom to drive the East-West route over the rockies as well and stop where you want, plus give the option of sitting back and enjoying the train taking you through the more remote areas you might not otherwise see.

Enjoy, Im really jealous!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:48 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Iginla
Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.

My brother was thinking about it for his honeymoon last year and I talked him out of it. They've never stopped thanking me.

Fly to Calgary, hire a car one way and drive it at your leisure to Vancouver being able to stop when you want where you want and fly back from there. The journey through the Rockies and their foothills is far too spectacular, and beautiful (not to mention the wildlife, lakes, activities, gorges ....) to be on a train and stuck to an itenary. Accomodation is good all throughout the Rockies. It's nice to just stop and admire it in the middle apart from the towns.

It's approx 14 hours straight drive Calgary/Vancouver.

July is always good and you can always start with a couple of days at the Stampede in Calgary.

Make an adventure out of it and explore the Rockies, you won't be dissapointed.
That's an excellent suggestion. The quoted prices for the train trip package are very high, so I can't recommend it for that reason as well.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:28 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Thanks everone
Some great suggestions.
The thing is that I don't think I would "get away" with a trip that didn't include the train at some point. After all it does have the reputation of one of the most spectacular train journeys in the world.
I realise it is an indulgence but as a treat and a "one off" maybe the price could be swallowed.
I'm thinking it is probably better to make up my own itinary and not tour with anyone else.
The other thing is that a road trip would't be on if we wanted the "Winter Wonderland".
Any more thoughts guys?