Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mr. Miller et al please help

Mr. Miller et al please help

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

koofoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr. Miller et al please help

I've got PR for my family and myself. We have to enter Canada before start of November. My daughter is currently halfway through her GCSEs and I would like her to complete these without disruption prior to settling there. Can we go there for a couple of weeks to carry out initial formalities and start the process for SIN and PR cards and then come back to the UK. They could post the cards to our relatives in Canada. Then we could go back when my daughter has finished her GCSEs next year.

Is this feasable?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 6:21 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Mr. Miller et al please help

i would have a look at what kind of system there is for transfer of credit from Uk
highschools to Canadian ones. GCSE's are a lot more specific and exam intense than
the equivilant level in Canadian highschools, and also if she intends on furthering
her education she will have to go to Canadian highschool anyway as their system
differes, where as in the UK you would leave highschool at 16 then do 2 years of
intense Alevels for university entry in Canada you aremore likely to stay at
highschool (like the old 6th forms in UK) and do your extra subjects and credits
there, i forget what they are called. i am not sure how well known or recieved GCSE's
would be anyway and she might have to end up doing some sort of extra stuff. I know i
had a friend here in the UK at 6th form college from Florida and the college wouldnt
recognise his US highschool diploma thing because the level was too low so he had to
spend an extra 2 years doing GCSE's in the UK so that he could do alevels for
university entry. so it maybe that after finishing her year10 here in the UK that she
can transfer to a Canadian highschool and pick up enough credits to jsut carry on
where she left off and get the relevant Canadian qualifications which would make it
easier for further education or getting a job etc.

"koofoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I've got PR for my family and myself. We have to enter Canada before start of
    > November. My daughter is currently halfway through her GCSEs and I would like her
    > to complete these without disruption prior to settling there. Can we go there for a
    > couple of weeks to carry out initial formalities and start the process for SIN and
    > PR cards and then come back to the UK. They could post the cards to our relatives
    > in Canada. Then we could go back when my daughter has finished her GCSEs next year.
    >
    > Is this feasable?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

koofoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr. Miller et al please help

Yes but what I really would like to know, after June 28 and the introduction of the PR card, would it be possible for us to just enter Canada for two weeks and start the paper work for various cards, i.e. PR, SIN, etc. Then return to the Uk whilst these cards get processed and posted to our correspondence address in Canada with our relatives. Then return later in the year perhaps during xmas vacations to collect the cards or get our relatives to post them to us and then return again for good when my daughter finishes her GCSEs.